Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In hindsight, the Green Lantern movie was where the legend of Geoff Johns began to collapse. Before the movie came out he claimed ownership of it, but after the critics panned it he claimed he had nothing to do with it.
    Trey Strain
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-17-2021, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• The Fanatic (2019)

"Moose didn't just cross the line. He f**kin' nuked it."

As weird as I heard. There was some potential here to seriously look at stalker fanaticism and celeb culture, but then it is so OTT. Red Letter Media did an excellent review that explains why it's bad, but not really a best-worst film and that it's competently presented, which I agree with.

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
      In hindsight, the Green Lantern movie was where the legend of Geoff Johns began to collapse. Before the movie came out he claimed ownership of it, but after the critics panned it he claimed he had nothing to do with it.
      The blu ray has a brief ad for the brand-new "New 52" and I thought "ah, for the days when that was the biggest worry in the world of GL comics."
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 06-24-2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• I bet Johns handpicked Robert Venditti to follow him as Green Lantern's writer because he knew Venditti wouldn't show him up. It's a truism in business that you should never let a leader pick his successor because he'll probably pick someone who will make him look good by comparison.

Geoff was always about making himself look good, more than about actually being good. That and getting paid royalties.

I don't think we'll see any reviews in this thread of the GLC movie that he supposedly got "promoted" to write.
        Trey Strain
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-17-2021, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• Rifftrax Live: Summer Shorts Beach Party (2017)

"I get it now. This film is about the invention of amphetamines."

Not a film per se, but a riff of several short films (none of which are particularly summery).
          Space Cop
          The Dandy

Comment

• Extremely solid family friendly baseball drama about the only perfect game in Little League World Series history. It's a bit paint by numbers story wise, and the title gives away the ending, but the acting and characterization really draws you in.
            Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• The Dentist (1996)

"He's a dentist, they're capable of anything."

Tubied for the 25th anniversary.

Comment

• Mortal Engines (2018)

"You are history!"

In the future, a regrowing Earth is host to a system of mobile cities as opposed to permanent settlements, and the giant predator city of London is prowling the plains of Europe's mainland for resources. A mysterious young woman attempts to assassinate the architect of London's future and the young man who chases her uncovers a nefarious plot involving the dark past of old societies.

There's a lot to digest here, and unfortunately it isn't presented very well (at least not in the film, dunno if the book had better world building).

Cities are gone, because the world was destroyed in a 60-minute super-nuke war over a thousand years ago. Everyone lives on mobile towns except for people to the east, who live behind a fortified wall and the people who live aboard a steampunk version of Cloud City. Oh, and the slavers and cannibals who live in the southern regions.

There's a lot of lot knowledge and tech and some of it involves reviving dead people into Terminators. But that's barely explored despite playing a critical role: the one main character, Hestor Shaw, was raised by a Resurrected who had a vague sense of the man he once was, but the process and consequences are never looked into and the dude shows up frequently just to provide an unstoppable enemy to run from. James Cameron probably shrugged at all this. (Then again he used to put boobies on starships, so what do I know?)

The other lead, a young man working at London's Museum of History and who loves learning the past, has a stash of old military-grade tech that a jealous coworker easily discovers and tries to use to advance his position, but of course the idiot sucks at negotiating with a tyrant so he basically just hands it over to Hugo Weaving (the main villain). This guy is basically English Matt Gaetz.

Hestor is a cobbled-together mess. I do like her look (scarred face, duster jacket, scarf-mask) but her story is just not especially enthralling and the Big Reveal is so damn stupid (spoiler: Weaving is her dad because why not). Her mother was murdered by Weaving when they uncovered the command module for a super-weapon and she wouldn't give it to him because she knew it was too fucking dangerous to exist. She sees mommy die and flees into the wild where the Terminator finds her and raises her, and she eventually promises that she'll accept his goal to turn her into a machine like himself. But then she breaks her promise when she hears London has crossed over to the Continent so that she can assassinate Weaving. She even says it takes six months to find a way onto London so why didn't she take the time to have the Terminator teach her how to assassinate people or ask him to help her and then get converted? Seriously, the dude is damn near unstoppable until near the end of the film. I mean, the dude can easily find his way to anybody and it's never shown that Hestor has a tracker on her, so I guess the Terminator just could easily target and kill the villain with no issue whatsoever. But of course that would make sense so the film couldn't do that. Oh, and she sneaks a knife into town with such ease it's laughable.

The aging prime minister of London is also a mixed bag because he is at first bitter and somewhat ruthless but then we're supposed to feel somewhat sorry he gets betrayed because he had some vague principles on how London should secure its future. But there's only a little of any insight into him so it's not like he matters, just fodder for Weaving's ambition. I also didn't get much invested in Weaving's other daughter.

Honestly this whole thing felt like a weird ripoff of Avatar. It's this bloated, two-hour attempt at showing the struggles of people in a world of mobile settlements that aren't the on-foot/horseback caravans of old but ultimately just doesn't deliver. Definitely do not recommend.
                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• The Cannonball Run (1981)

"What about a black trans-am? No, that's been done."

Convinced my fam to watch this for the 40th anniversary. The coolest thing is that the illegal race (from NY to LA) was a real thing and its inventor (Brock Yates) plays himself. Hal Needham (Burt Reynolds' friend and stuntman, which relationship inspired Tarantino's last flick) directs after the success of Smokey and the Bandit. Really an ensemble comedy piece. Lots of famous faces. Goofy fun.

Comment

• I legit had no idea Jackie Chan was in that film. I really need to see it.
                    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• The Parent Trap (1961)

"The nerve of her! Coming here with your face!"

60th anniversary. A familiar one to my fam because it's a childhood favorite of my mother's, but hadn't seen it in some time.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                      I legit had no idea Jackie Chan was in that film. I really need to see it.
                      Yeah, I think it’s his first American film (though he had appeared in an American TV show). He’s not one of the main guys, but he does feature several times and has a bit of a fight. He strangely plays Japanese (because his team’s angle is that they have the tech).
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        The Cannonball Run (1981)

Convinced my fam to watch this for the 40th anniversary. The coolest thing is that the illegal race (from NY to LA) was a real thing and its inventor (Brock Yates) plays himself. Hal Needham (Burt Reynolds' friend and stuntman, which relationship inspired Tarantino's last flick) directs after the success of Smokey and the Bandit. Really an ensemble comedy piece. Lots of famous faces. Goofy fun.
                        Not many members of that cast are still alive. Dom DeLuise was a good friend of Burt's.

Comment

• The Fast and the Furious (2001)

"You can have any brew you want as long as it's a Corona."

Hard to believe this turned 20 yesterday and now we're on #9 (10 if you count the spin-off) and it has gotten so far from street racers who hijack trucks.

Not sure if I'm going to get to the new one in theaters. If I do, I want to watch Hobbs and Shaw (only one I haven't seen) and possibly re-watch 6-8 (I watched Fast Five earlier this year for its 10th).

Not many members of that cast are still alive. Dom DeLuise was a good friend of Burt's.
                          I was thinking of that as I was watching--he's dead, he's dead, she's dead, he's dead . . . Sad.
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy

Comment

• Random question: has anyone seen the evangelion movie that was released in March of this year?

Comment

• This stuntwoman was paralyzed from the neck down while filming The Cannonball Run.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1306980/?ref_=nmbio_trv_1

Comment

• (Falstaff The Chimes at Midnight (1965)

"There lives not three good men unhanged in England, and one of them is fat and grows old."

Welles movie based on a recurring, but secondary character (Falstaff) from Shakespeare. I didn't think it lives up to Citizen Kane (a very different kind of film), but Welles (and his friend Bogdanavich) considered it his best. Definitely a great actors' movie, though.

This stuntwoman was paralyzed from the neck down while filming The Cannonball Run.
                                Not surprised. There's some serious stunt work in it for a goofy film.
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-24-2021, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X