Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It launches that dude pretty high and another dude maybe half the distance of the first. You get to see the non-slow-mo version of that first launch and it looks so silly.

I do recommend the Rifftrax version, because the jokes are great and some of the film's vanilla content is so dumb you can't help but laugh (the wind surfing regatta being this big tension-drenched scene but completely failing at tension and just being so dumb you bust a gut).
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Queen of the Desert (2015)

"She is the maker of kings."
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 08-05-2021, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• I'm a big fan of Dark Shadows. The episodes were supposed to be "wiped," meaning that other stuff was going to be recorded on the videotapes. That's because back then the tapes were believed to be more valuable than the episodes that were recorded on them. Miraculously though all but one episode has survived and is posted online.

There's some great material in them. Every storyline in the series was plotted out by Art Wallace, and some first-class writers worked on the show.

To me the standout actors were John Karlen as Willie Loomis and Lara Parker as the witch Angelique Collins, but Jonathan Frid was unforgettable as the vampire Barnabas Collins.

You'll notice though that Frid often blew his lines. He couldn't see the cue cards because his eyesight was terrible, and back then only glasses could have improved it. But a vampire in glasses wouldn't have worked.

Almost all the flubs had to be left in because the technology to edit videotape didn't yet exist. Just know that, ignore the screw-ups and enjoy the show.

They were running out of ideas and floundering around at the end, but 1,225 half-hour episodes provide plenty of solid Gothic entertainment.
        Trey Strain
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-05-2021, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
          I'm a big fan of Dark Shadows. The episodes were supposed to be "wiped," meaning that other stuff was going to be recorded on the videotapes. That's because back then the tapes were believed to be more valuable than the episodes that were recorded on them. Miraculously though all but one episode has survived and is posted online . . .
          Yeah, I have the DVD box set (the one shaped like a coffin that includes an interview on each disc, of which there’s over 100).

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
          . . . To me the standout actors were John Karlen as Willie Loomis and Lara Parker as the witch Angelique Collins, but Jonathan Frid was unforgettable as the vampire Barnabas Collins . . .
          Funny, I was thinking about who my favorite actors are from the show as I re-watched the movie and that was my list in that order. Karlen has an amazing ability to make you feel for a weaselly character.

. . . You'll notice though that Frid often blew his lines. He couldn't see the cue cards because his eyesight was terrible, and back then only glasses could have improved it. But a vampire in glasses wouldn't have worked . . .
          Yeah, plus after his character took off, he was given a lot of dialogue with not a lot of time to learn it. He was good enough, though, that you still get drawn in.

. . . Almost all the flubs had to be left in because the technology to edit videotape didn't yet exist. Just know that, ignore the screw-ups and enjoy the show . . .
          I’d recommend anyone who’s trying it (which is all I was doing until I got sucked in) to treat it like a live show (which is was close to being for the reasons you list) or a play (with quick set changes).

Comment

• The first actor who played Willie was excellent. He really seemed like a street punk who would enjoy killing you. He got fired for some reason that isn't clear and Karlen was brought in to replace him. The original guy was never in anything else but they managed to track him down and he appeared at some of the later conventions they did.

Mitchell Ryan was fired for showing up on the set drunk several times.

Comment

• Diana Millay was also excellent on Dark Shadows. They didn't use her nearly enough.

A coupe of actors I could have done without were Louis Edmonds and Humbert Astredo. I want to get out the hook when I see them.

Joan Bennett has been a big star in the Thirties and Forties, and she got top billing on DS, but she was a cipher on the show. He made no impact at all and seemed almost befuddled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                Diana Millay was also excellent on Dark Shadows. They didn't use her nearly enough.
                I actually started my watching with the Barnabas episodes (209 or whatever) and have only slowly been making up the earlier episodes. So, I haven't gotten to Millay as David's mother yet. I think I've seen her in a few other small parts though.

A coupe of actors I could have done without were Louis Edmonds and Humbert Astredo. I want to get out the hook when I see them.
                I get that, but I have to admit a kind of amusement at Nicholas Blair maybe because he reminds me of the Master and I'm a Doctor Who fan. I also like the little hints that he could be the Devil.

Joan Bennett has been a big star in the Thirties and Forties, and she got top billing on DS, but she was a cipher on the show. He made no impact at all and seemed almost befuddled.
                Yep. I've seen The Woman in the Window and a few other of her roles in her starlet days.

Comment

• The episodes before Barnabas showed up are surprisingly good.

Frid was signed to a 90-day contract and was supposed to get a stake through his heart then, but he made the ratings take off and became the de facto star.

He thought he was a leading man and left the show, but he wasn't. He was a vampire. The show was pretty bad after he left but I think it would have sucked even if he had stayed because they had done everything they could do with it.

It was canceled as part of a huge advertising-driven purge by the networks in 1971. DS was mostly watched by children who had just gotten home from school, and of course kids don't buy stuff.

Comment

• Interesting idea, and a well focused movie, but like the original Purge it seems like this premise deserves a much bigger production to be fully realized. Still pretty good, though. Certainly worth it's short runtime.

For a movie that touts itself as part comedy, I didn't really find any laughs. Instead there were some serious rage inducing scenes, which arguably just demonstrates how well it handles it's message. Also notable, there's a really well done tracking shot in the final act that was quite impressive for how many actors it utilized. Ultimately, I was actually pretty impressed with it as a work of art, even though it's cut away ending was a bit anticlimactic. Seriously recommended -- though not for the easily offended.
                    Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

"If I meet a girl with a firm leg, a full bosom and a warm heart, let no man try and stop me."

Wanted to re-watch this because I just got through re-reading the story in Hamilton's Mythology book.

Comment

• Great sequel with lots of laughs and even some surprises.
                        Some unnecessary nudity is the only negative, I'd say.
                        All said, it's leaps and bounds better than the first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                          [Suicide Squad]
                          . . . Great sequel with lots of laughs and even some surprises. Some unnecessary nudity is the only negative, I'd say. All said, it's leaps and bounds better than the first.
                          Glad to hear. Hope to see it next week. I have one already-paid-for-discount movie ticket. I was thinking of using it on Snake Eyes, but I think (at a time where I need to save some money) I'll use if for this instead.

Comment

• The suicide squad. Boy oh Boy this movie is juicy. Well done mr gunn well done. Without spoilers think guardians of the galaxy with slither violence and gore. And yes theres a credit scene and another after all credits so stay till the end
                            .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post

Great sequel with lots of laughs and even some surprises.
                              Some unnecessary nudity is the only negative, I'd say.
                              All said, it's leaps and bounds better than the first.
                              Its not a sequel. Its really its own thing and i agree its way better than 2016. Apparently gunn will be doing more projects at wb according to walter hamada the current wb president since guardians 3 is his last marvel film. I actually cared for this team unlike black widow where yea good action but i feel nothing for any of the black widow characters. I will say polka-dot man and thinker were underused
                              TazzMission
                              Guardian of the Universe
                              Last edited by TazzMission; 08-06-2021, 04:47 AM.
                              .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                                Its not a sequel
                                It's 100% a sequel. Beyond just having some of the same actors, Task Force X is an established squad while Captain Boomerang, Harley, and Flagg have a preexisting rapport. It's not a formulaic sequel, sure, but it's still a sequel.

Comment

Working...
                                X