This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Alive (2009)

You know a movie is not that great when the wiki article on it is basically a page and a half at best. This was a splatter film that hardly matters. The mother doesn't even look like she's gone through puberty yet, and the smartest person in the house is the brother in the wheelchair. You hardly ever see the actual baby until the end, but apparently it has super human strength to take down a room of 4 doctors at birth, and several adults afterwards until it and the mother thankfully burn in their flaming home of stupidity. Larry Cohen, Producer of the original, has nothing good to say about this. Neither do I.

Comment

• I'm torn.

Part of me likes this more than the first, while another really doesn't. It's probably the hell scape we are given that makes me like it more, while the initial plot retread is what makes me not. Interestingly, most of the hell scape was stuff I thought was in the third movie, but as its been so long since I've seen 2 and 3, they probably just merged in my memory... or maybe I don't even remember 3 at all. I guess I'll find out when I watch it here soon.

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      The original concept of Pinhead *was* in the novella, it started out as "the cenobite with jeweled pins driven into its head at the intersections (of the tattoo grid)". What became of that was drastically changed but still retained some of the core concepts, namely the pin grid.
      I see; looks like my memory of this stuff just isn't that great, lol. He still wasn't the leader, though, like he was in the film, so there's that. Memory is an imperfect thing, and seeing that I read it almost 20 years ago, I suppose it's not surprising that I didn't recall the pinhead concept being introduced therein (albeit in its infancy). Or maybe I just didn't make the connection since he wasn't the leader -- I don't know.

But yeah, such as it is.
      Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Monster Brawl (2011)

"Technically, it's 'Frankenstein's Monster,' if you want to be a d*ck about it."

Re-watched on Tubi. Still like this movie which has no plot except being a wrestling tournament of monsters. There really should be 7 matches in this style event, though, not just 5.

It's Alive (2009) . . . You know a movie is not that great when the wiki article on it is basically a page and a half at best. . . Larry Cohen, Producer of the original, has nothing good to say about this. Neither do I.
        Yeah, I remember seeing that it existed and not hearing enough to make me want to try it.

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
        [Hellraiser 2] I'm torn. Part of me likes this more than the first, while another really doesn't. It's probably the hell scape we are given that makes me like it more, while the initial plot retread is what makes me not. . .
        I get that. I think anytime an IP promises to show you more of a world you’re intrigued by there’s an instant appeal, but it doesn’t mean it’s going to hit the same notes.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 10-16-2021, 03:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post

I'm torn.

Part of me likes this more than the first, while another really doesn't. It's probably the hell scape we are given that makes me like it more, while the initial plot retread is what makes me not. Interestingly, most of the hell scape was stuff I thought was in the third movie, but as its been so long since I've seen 2 and 3, they probably just merged in my memory... or maybe I don't even remember 3 at all. I guess I'll find out when I watch it here soon.

I see 1 and 2 as more of "1 movie" rather than 2 and 3 if only for the fact that 1 & 2 were both filmed in England, where I think the quality of the film is very different and unique, plus you had the same basic set of characters with a few new additions like Dr. Chanard and Tiffany. I also tend to think the films made in England are a bit better in quality and production values, and their uniqueness makes them grander than the American films, but I preach not. To each his own.

Leviathan (the Hell scape) was interesting, too, as it was totally outside the realm of reality, yet somehow mixed with it(?) Like when Chanard butchers all his patients after being transformed into some kind of super Cenobyte, and then is immediately back in Leviathan land to deal with Kirsty, Tiffany, and Julia (I think). I think I understand Leviathan more now than when I first saw it; I didn't understand its abstract qualities.

I see; looks like my memory of this stuff just isn't that great, lol. He still wasn't the leader, though, like he was in the film, so there's that. Memory is an imperfect thing, and seeing that I read it almost 20 years ago, I suppose it's not surprising that I didn't recall the pinhead concept being introduced therein (albeit in its infancy). Or maybe I just didn't make the connection since he wasn't the leader -- I don't know.

But yeah, such as it is.

The only reason I'm so vested in this conversation is because I recently went through another Hellraiser revival (like maybe 2 or 3 months ago) and I have the information still fresh in my head, at least for the film's I revisited plus the most recent film SC told me about. But in any event, yes you are right about the Engineer being the original leader, and his transfer to the first film was horrible (some kind of flesh thing the crew literally wheeled down the passageway as it chased Kirsty.) It is quite odd how things got changed from original Barker concept to the first film and beyond. But the funny thing is Barker stayed with the changed concepts in his future writings and comics he was directly involved in, one of which I have a few issues of. Pinhead was even given official names such as High Priest, Hell Priest, and the Cold Man.

I did read a quote somewhere (after I got shocked from learning he was a she in the novella) that Barker intended for "Pre-Pinhead" to be a female because when it spoke, it had a female quality to the voice.

Comment

• The Devonsville Terror (1983)

"That's a pretty grim day to remember."

300 years after a small town executed three witches, the curse seems to have returned in the form of three new women arriving who are too modern and independent for the locals. Not bad. Kind of feminist as far as 80s exploitation can be. And, yes, Donald Pleasance plays the town doctor.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 10-14-2021, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• I actually like this better than the first two, surprisingly. Making Pinhead and Elliott be the center of the narrative, representing the two sides of every soul, was a great direction to take, and was done pretty well considering the genre and the era it was made. I would've liked it to delve a bit more into things, but I feel that way about a lot of older films. All that said, I hate the tease ending. I hate oat tease endings, to be honest, but especially in horror films, because they so seldom have any follow through. Case in point, the original Hellraiser's ending. But such as it is.

As for what I remembered about this one, there was pretty much nothing. The Boiler Room massacre and stroll through the aftermath is the only part that seemed familiar to me, so go figure. From here on out, though, they're all going to be new to me, so this should be an itterestimg marathon going forward. Here's hoping I don't regret it in the end, lol.

Comment

• Sundown (1989)

"You've all been watching too many horror films."

Not great, but I thought fun horror comedy. Follows a human family that goes to a desert town (unbeknownst to them) where vampires (led by David Carradine) are trying to live without killing (with sunblock and other tricks) but need help with their blood-substitute factory. Turns out there's a rebel element that wants to return to the old ways, another vampire with a particular interest in/past with the human family, and a descendant of Van Helsing (Bruce Campbell) who sneaks end to redeem his family.

… Case in point, the original Hellraiser's ending. But such as it is...
                Where the hobo-demon takes the box and it starts all over again? I guess you're right, but I don't feel like we were ever supposed to follow that story. I feel like it's more like "look, folks, it just goes on and on." Or "Kirsty may have won her battle, but the war goes on."
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 10-14-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                  Pretty sure I caught the third act of this on late-night TV when I was younger. I really should watch the first two or three one of these days.
                  Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• How to Make a Monster (1958)

"Maybe you've been living too long with these monsters!
                    -Sometimes I find them better company than humans."

Youtubed the Svengoolie episode of this AIP b classic that referenced and used the creatures from I Was a Teenage Frankenstein and I Was a Teenage Werewolf. Revolves around a fired make-up effects artist who seeks revenge against the new studio heads via mind control and make-up.

Comment

• RE: Hellraiser III

I *think* (but do not know for a fact) this is the only HR movie in which someone (Joey) refers to Pinhead as "Pinhead".

I will say this...that is one kick ass song by Motorhead at the end (that Ozzy later did his own version of on the NO More Tears album). It's interesting to compare both versions.
                      Jeff
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Jeff; 10-15-2021, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• The Game [aka The Cold] (1984)

"Quite confusing is this story."

Another from Wisconsin transplant Bill Rebane (and part of the Arrow box set I bought). For being shot in one week with $50,000, a spec script, and a crew of four, it's not bad. Follows the tale of three millionaires who establish a game where the 'survivor' (among I think 9 volunteers) will win $1,000,000 (so kind of like House on Haunted Hill or the other The Game). Of course, you don't know whether it's all a prank, real murder, or something more sinister. The ending pretty much blows any cohesion (probably because of said lack of a full script) to the point where the narrator (in the ending quote above) admits it doesn't make sense.

RE: Hellraiser III . . . I *think* (but do not know for a fact) this is the only HR movie in which someone (Joey) refers to Pinhead as "Pinhead". . .
                        I totally forgot about that.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 10-15-2021, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          Sundown (1989)

"Your parents must be very romatic."

"My parents are very horny."

Hahaha, I got a kick out of this flick, it was funny in all the right ways. Criticisms are few; they could have done without the Van Helsing character, since he served no real purpose to the agenda at hand, which was a wild west Civil War between vamps that want to coexist with humans vs. old school vamps who want to terrorize and drink human blood. The magic at the end of the film was almost a Christmas tale. Too bad there is no sequel to this; it would have been fun.

Comment

• This could have been so good. Like, you can feel that's it's missing around 30-40 minutes of stuff, so it's no wonder that "Alan Smithee" is credited as directing it. The generational concept could have worked, but really just feels flat in execution. That said, I was pleasantly surprised that the last film's tease was actually worked into this, so that's something. But yeah, it just reeks of unrealized potential. It's literally so close to being good that it's hard to call it bad -- it simply is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                              [Sundown]
                              . . . Hahaha, I got a kick out of this flick, it was funny in all the right ways. Criticisms are few; they could have done without the Van Helsing character, since he served no real purpose to the agenda at hand, which was a wild west Civil War between vamps that want to coexist with humans vs. old school vamps who want to terrorize and drink human blood. The magic at the end of the film was almost a Christmas tale. Too bad there is no sequel to this; it would have been fun.
                              Yeah, I thought it was fun. Not a classic, but I don't regret the $10 for the blu ray. And, yeah, Van Helsing is unnecessary here, but at least it gives us some Bruce Campbell.

[Hellraiser Bloodline]
                              This could have been so good. . . But yeah, it just reeks of unrealized potential. It's literally so close to being good that it's hard to call it bad -- it simply is.
                              You guys are making me want to re-watch some Hellraiser, but I really have to be selective because I'm leaving on vacation next week and couldn't get them all in.

Comment

• Halloween kills. Awesome film! I love how theres flashbacks adding to his capture from the original that lead into the 2018 sequel . The Strode women are bad ass and i like how Michael is becoming a legendary myth in handonfiled like folklore. The kills in this are brutal . Ill leave it at that to avoid any heavy spoilers. I give it a 9 because i really like how blumhouse did the original film justice with these as sequels . btw its on peacock. Apperently theres a credit scene. I have to look around for it
                                TazzMission
                                Guardian of the Universe
                                Last edited by TazzMission; 10-15-2021, 04:35 PM.
                                .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Working...
                                X