Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An improvement over the last one, in my opinion, as it is better paced, and the crimes weren't as over the top. I was kind of annoyed that they failed to acknowledge the conclusion of the first film, though. There were plenty of opportunities, and a even a couple of lines that may have implied connection, but it's as if the writers weren't willing to take on the argument this time. It's a shame because it would've been the perfect way to do it -- having a cop who's crossed the line in a dire circumstance taking down cops who have left the line in the dust to become full blown vigilantes. So much unrealized potential, but I digress. It was still a good movie, regardless.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    As you go through them, you'll see that the POV alternates. 1 & 3 are the more conservative side. 2 & 4 turn the criticism back on the cops. They purposely did that but #5 broke the pattern (though it's still fun in its own right if only so you can see Jim Carey pretend to sing "Welcome to the Jungle").
    Yeah, I can see what you mean now. I hope the films going forward don't shy away from referencing their predecessors like Magnum Force did, though. It could really increase the tension and find itself within societal poignancy if done well.
    Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Jungle Cruise (2021)

"Good Murder Cat!"

I never really wanted to do Disney+ (mostly because of their censorship), but I really, really want to see Jackson's Beatles movie coming out Thanksgiving. This weekend, there's a $2-for-the-first-month deal, so I took it. The family wanted to see it, so it was the first movie I watched on the service (though I did watch the Simpsons Disney short that released yesterday first).

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
      An improvement over the last one, in my opinion, as it is better paced, and the crimes weren't as over the top . . .
      Yeah, I really like the DH series, but every time I watch them I think for #1, 3, and 5 that the FBI would take over an investigation like this. Those crimes aren't local-PD level.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 11-14-2021, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Best one so far. This felt like a pretty solid movie throughout. I appreciate how they sidestepped the partner romance that other films with similar situations have fallen into, and I really liked how Harry dealt with the black militants during his investigation -- especially after they all got arrested. Tyne Daly was really good as his partner, too, though during that chase scene after the bathroom bomb all I could think about was why the hell she was wearing heels on the job. But yeah, such as it is.

Yeah, I really like the DH series, but every time I watch them I think for #1, 3, and 5 that the FBI would take over an investigation like this. Those crimes aren't local-PD level.
        Oh for sure. At least by the time Scorpio kidnapped that 14 year old girl in this first one, and for this one the moment the firearms and explosives were stolen at the beginning. Heck, that would probably see the ATF and DHS coming to town, as well.

Comment

• The Abominable Snowman (1957)

"The creature I was searching for does not exist."

A scientist accompanies an expedition up the worst route of the Himalayas in search of the mythical yeti, but realizes they mean to catch him for fame and profit. On the way tempers flare and doubts are raised as to whether the yeti truly exists, but a chance encounter proves that not only are they real but that the men are in over their heads.

I caught Dark Corners Reviews' take on this, although Robin Bailey said it was available on Hammer's YouTube channel, I couldn't find the listing (more on that below) and had to settle for a full-screen, fuzzy, ten-year-old upload of the USA Network's airing of it on their Commander USA program. The uploader didn't even take out the old commercials (though seeing George Burns selling cars again was a surprise). The picture quality and audio both needed tuning but otherwise it was easy enough on the eyes and ears.

Film was definitely worth checking out. We get a good butting of heads, both Forrest Tucker and Peter Cushing deliver solid performances, and the way the film conveys the yeti's presence through minimal exposure is akin to Jaws's use of the shark. The atmosphere is loaded with dread and paranoia. The sets are pretty good, and the way the stock footage is mixed with the actual film is cleverly done, as Bailey praised.

Hammer does have the video but not in the US. What a travesty. This is definitely worth a watch every now and then.
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Female (1933)

"I detest parties."

Pre-code one-hour flick about a woman who's a captain of industry and uses men.

[The Enforcer]
            Best one so far. . .
            It is very fun. I also like Daly in this one.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 11-14-2021, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• I hate to sound like a broken record, but yet again I like this one better than the last, making it the best so far. The revenge plot was really solid, though I would've liked another scene with her sister after it was all said and done (maybe with her finally acknowledging her and hugging her or something), but such as it is. Oddly, hiwever, it sometimes felt like Dirty Harry was tacked on to the script after the fact -- like it was written as a feminist rape revenge movie, and then rewritten as a Dirty Harry sequel for reasons. I don't know if it was or not, but that's just the feeling i got from a couple of scenes. That said, the Harry stuff was still great, and that badass silhouetted hero shot near the end is up there as one of my favorites now.

Here's hoping the last film is just as good.

Comment

• Three on a Match (1932)

"I might try beating you every morning before breakfast."

[Sudden Impact] . . . I hate to sound like a broken record, but yet again I like this one better than the last, making it the best so far. . .
                It’s the most “personal” of the movies. Anyway, you finally got to “Make my day,” right? I remember the first time watching DH being shocked that wasn’t from #1.

The revenge plot was really solid, though I would've liked another scene with her sister after it was all said and done (maybe with her finally acknowledging her and hugging her or something), but such as it is. Oddly, hiwever, it sometimes felt like Dirty Harry was tacked on to the script after the fact . . .
                I’ve never heard that (and I have watched/read some on the series), but I could see that. You could certainly do that story with a no-name cop or even a reporter in the male spot.

Here's hoping the last film is just as good.
                Sorry, it won’t be. But it is fun.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 11-16-2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• The Abominable Snowman is a surprisingly good movie, written by the very talented Nigel Kneale.

His Quatermass television serials are great.
                  The pandemic should have ended in the United States in March. You know why it didn't, don't you? Think about that every time you put on a mask.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    Iíve never heard that (and I have watched/read some on the series), but I could see that. You could certainly do that story with a no-name cop or even a reporter in the male spot.
                    After reading your post, I decided to do a quick search and found this on the Dirty Harry wiki: "The screenplay was initially written by Charles B. Pierce and Earl E. Smith for a separate film for Sondra Locke, but was later adapted into a Dirty Harry film by Joesph Stinson."

Sorry, it wonít be. But it is fun.
                    Well, at least I know to lower my expectations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                      The Abominable Snowman is a surprisingly good movie, written by the very talented Nigel Kneale.

His Quatermass television serials are great.
                      Yeah, I told my dad about Kneale being a big reason the film is so good. I need to get around to watching the serials one day.

Comment

• The first three of the four Quatermass serials were adapted as movies. The first two movies are a letdown, mainly because of the casting of Brian Donlevy as Quatermass, which Kneale strenuously objected to. Donlevy managed to make the character thoroughly off-putting.

Unfortunately the BBC wiped the last four episodes of the first serial, The Quatermass Experiment, and only the first two episodes survive.

The third movie, Quatermass and the Pit (aka Five Million Miles to Earth), is much better than the first two movies but still not as good as the serial.
                        The pandemic should have ended in the United States in March. You know why it didn't, don't you? Think about that every time you put on a mask.

Comment

• So watch the serial aside from the no-longer-exists final two episodes? Maybe also the third film?

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                            So watch the serial aside from the no-longer-exists final two episodes? Maybe also the third film?
                            I would say to watch all the serials first. The fourth one doesn't generate the suspense and intrigue of the first three but it's pretty good.

The third film is definitely worth watching. You might want to check out the first two, if for no other reason than to find out how the first serial turned out and to imagine how much better they might have been without Donlevy.

Kneale also disliked Simon MacCorkindale's casting in the fourth serial but I thought he did OK.

Comment

• [Rifftrax:] Pressure Point (1997/2017)

"Mr. Bean as Johnny English shakes his head at this man's ineptitude."

[Rifftrax:] Face/Off (1977/2021)

"This movie is 80% reloading."

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                              The Abominable Snowman is a surprisingly good movie, written by the very talented Nigel Kneale...
                              Strange timing. I just watched a Dark Corners review on that.

+ YouTube Video
                              ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

After reading your post, I decided to do a quick search and found this on the Dirty Harry wiki: "The screenplay was initially written by Charles B. Pierce and Earl E. Smith for a separate film for Sondra Locke, but was later adapted into a Dirty Harry film by Joesph Stinson."
                              Not surprised. Good to know.

Well, at least I know to lower my expectations.
                              Maybe, you'll like it more. I think it's weaker, but fun. The concept of what the crime is is kind of fun. There's also a pretty famous and cool scene involving an explosive (I won't say more).
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 12-11-2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Technically there is a fourth Quatermass movie, The Quatermass Conclusion, which was simply edited down from the fourth serial according to a script that Kneale got paid to write. It was for release in theaters overseas. You can certainly skip that one.

Kneale proposed a fifth serial that would have been a flashback story about Quatermass's efforts to help defeat the Axis in WW2, but the BBC passed on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X