The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sector 0 (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Zero Hour and other Crises' Relation to GL (starting at Vol. 4)) (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20672)

GaMeBoY439 04-15-2012 06:50 PM

Zero Hour and other Crises' Relation to GL (starting at Vol. 4))

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the GL Universe and I just recently picked up a bunch of comics so I can catch up to the latest stuff. I started getting into it after I saw the movie this summer, which you may find surprising since so many people thought it was bad, lol. I liked it and I just think the GL universe is epic in general.

So, I've been told that GL:Rebirth is a good starting place to catch up, so I'm basically catching up from there up until recent stuff of today. I'm following one of the reading orders posted on this site.

I was wondering how the major DC crises/events affect the series from then on. I know the major ones are Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, and Final Crisis, with other things somewhere in between like Zero Hour, Identity Crisis (I think, lol). How/when should these be read in relation to the GL universe? A link to a reading order/list would be greatly appreciated.

Also, should these major crises be read before jumping into GL, so I can get an idea of where the DC universe is in general at that point? I already read Rebirth and the first 10 issues of GL Vol. 4, along with GLC:Recharge and the first 4 issues of GLC Vol. 2, but I don't mind back-tracking a bit to read the major events if that's what's suggested.

*** Oh, and Comixology is having a Zero Hour sale until tomorrow, so if it's recommended I read it, please tell me soon so I can jump on this sale and get all those comics for cheap, lol.

Thanks for the help!!

Hypo 04-15-2012 07:45 PM

I wouldn't say any of those big events are necessary to catch up on modern day GL at all. Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, and Identity Crisis all took place before Rebirth and I don't really recall any major GL moments in COIE or Identity Crisis (haven't read Zero Hour). I personally wasn't a fan of Identity Crisis but I do feel that COIE is one of those stories that everyone should read simply because of its place in history (though a lot of the changes brought about in that story don't really matter anymore).

As for Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis, they're both good reads (with FC being one of my favorite modern stories, but you're gunna see a pretty split opinion on that) and the GLC does show up in both but I wouldn't really say those appearances are important.

Honestly just catching up on volume 4 and then moving on to volume 5 should be fine. Hope that helps. :)

GaMeBoY439 04-15-2012 08:52 PM

Awesome, that definitely helps a lot, thanks! That's basically what my main goal is at this point (to catch up with Vol. 4 and then move onto Vol. 5). I'll be sure to check out those major events at some point. I'm so tempted to buy all those Zero Hour comics now anyway though, since I feel like I'll read it at some point anyway, and since they're all $1 right now, might as well get the bargain, lol. And I tend to be a completionist with everything, so I would likely go for buying not only the main Zero Hour series, but all like 70+ lead-ins and tie-ins etc. that are associated with it, lol

Space Cop 04-15-2012 09:21 PM

Go ahead. You might like them and it'd give you some background on what happened to Hal in relation to Kyle. The various crises, however, are less and less relevant (to current continuity) the farther you go back.

GaMeBoY439 04-15-2012 09:34 PM

I see, that makes sense since each crisis majorly changed what was going on in the universe prior to it right? Oh and the New 52 don't relate to anything that happened before it right, since DC aimed to totally re-launch/re-tell those stories differently?

Hypo 04-16-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaMeBoY439 (Post 696268)
I see, that makes sense since each crisis majorly changed what was going on in the universe prior to it right? Oh and the New 52 don't relate to anything that happened before it right, since DC aimed to totally re-launch/re-tell those stories differently?

That's true for the most part except for the two best selling franchises at the time of the relaunch, Green Lantern and Batman, basically the continuity for these two "families" were unchanged. So everything from GL: Rebirth onwards is still relevant.

GaMeBoY439 04-16-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 696275)
That's true for the most part except for the two best selling franchises at the time of the relaunch, Green Lantern and Batman, basically the continuity for these two "families" were unchanged. So everything from GL: Rebirth onwards is still relevant.

Ahh OK cool, good to know. Thanks for the info!

Fetus 04-16-2012 02:48 AM

I have never read any of these either and am really interested to read Both Zero Hour and Crisis on Infinite Earths, but I can't find them at a reasonable price anywhere, if someone knows of a place let me know or if anyone knows of somewhere were I can get a .cbr file of them please let me know of this as well

thanks

Mechinoid 04-16-2012 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaMeBoY439 (Post 696258)
Awesome, that definitely helps a lot, thanks! That's basically what my main goal is at this point (to catch up with Vol. 4 and then move onto Vol. 5). I'll be sure to check out those major events at some point. I'm so tempted to buy all those Zero Hour comics now anyway though, since I feel like I'll read it at some point anyway, and since they're all $1 right now, might as well get the bargain, lol. And I tend to be a completionist with everything, so I would likely go for buying not only the main Zero Hour series, but all like 70+ lead-ins and tie-ins etc. that are associated with it, lol

Oh god, I'd say that's overkill. No need to get all 70+whatever at all. I'd say get the main event and the GL follow up though, that's all you need.

Gauntlet101010 04-16-2012 04:12 AM

I really liked Zero Hour, the entire event. There were some great moments, like Jor-El and Lara meeting Ma and Pa Kent (or course those versions of Jor-El and Lara were VERY different from any other version). Batgirl showing up in Batman was a fun read. And Alan meeting Kyle was one of the best moments in his entire run (you really feel a sense of loss at the GLC, whereas the last time the GLC was destroyed it seemed like business as usual for our main heroes).

DC continuity is dodgy. I'm not sure all of Rebirth is even canon anymore (wanna bet the Specter lives on Earth-2 now?). Blackest Night and Millenium were the only DC events that were truly GL-centric (even Crisis on Infinite Earths didn't touch him really, much like Flashpoint, although in the title things did change as a result of Crisis it wasn't the same continuity shift other titles saw) and I don't like Millenium. As a DC fan, I tend to collect all their crossovers. When I first started I found it a great way to get to know their universe and it sounds like you're on the same page there.

Zero Hour is one of my favorite events. It's GL-ness was felt in the last two issues, although the "mysterious bad guy" shows up throughout.

Final Night also had Hal show up at the end and in his own special. It's one of the only times Prallax was really done right, however it's not really me favorite event. The epiulogue - Hal's funeral in the GL title is also worth a read as is it's follow-up: Emerald Knights.

DC 1 million has some neat GL stuff at the very end. It's Morrison-era JLA, so it's a great read.

Final Crisis just BARELY involved GL. I was disappointed how little it had to do with GL since it started off strong with GL at the start.

DC VS Marvel has GL as one of it's contestants, but it's really the tie-ins that involve GL, such as GL/Silver Surfer (a great Kyle story), Iron Lantern, and Speed Demon (for the first few pages), and Dr. Stragefate (for Jade Nova).

Granted, NONE of these are nessasary to understand the current GL. The current GL only really required Blackest Night.