The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Lantern Vol. 4 (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Where was SINESTRO for like ten years? (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17214)

TEN_RINGS 02-22-2011 05:17 AM

Where was SINESTRO for like ten years?
 
:sinestro: Well we know that Geoff Johns retconned sinestros death and made the sinestro who got his neck broke in emerald twilight into a construct of parallax. Ok thats cool sinestro wasnt dead, but where the hell was he? and what was he doing even in the comics sinestro was out of action for a few years......any theories?? ..........And no I dont think he was at home washing his tights.

SD80MAC 02-22-2011 12:43 PM

Watching football on Qward and eating chips.

Seriously, though, they'll likely never explore that, as it'll only cause more continuity problems and questions. There's really no acceptable answer.

Mister Ed 02-22-2011 12:45 PM

Well supposedly he was helping Parallax "torment" Hal with constructs, implying that much of Hal's run as the Spectre was just Sinestro and Parallax messing with his head.

Personally, much as I enjoyed Rebirth, this was a major flaw, and unnecessary to boot.

I mean, let's look at this. Sinestro wanted to trash Hal's reputation and bring down the Corps. Those were his stated motivations in Rebirth, right? So, that being the case, why did he not act any sooner than Rebirth? Hal's reputation was steadily being restored (most Heroes seemed to have forgiven him by his funeral) to the point where even BATMAN was shown coming around. Meanwhile, Oa was recreated, the Guardians reborn, and the CPB repowered, and Kyle was working on restoring the Corps. Yet STILL Sinestro was lying low, as all his "gains" were eroded to nothing? It made no sense to me. (Of course, some of that has since been retconned by Johns, when he had Hal contrast his funeral with Barry's, implying that Barry had a heroes funeral, and he didn't, and that in fact his memorial was defaced. That, of course, never happened. Hal's funeral WAS a heroes funeral, and nobody ever defaced his memorial, but that inconvenient fact got in the way of the contrast Geoff wanted to paint, so POOF... it was changed.)

To me it seemed much more likely, and in character, to think that Sinestro put his plot to bring down Hal and the Corps into motion, but his arrogance led him to want to PERSONALLY confront Hal and deliver the final blow, never considering that he might actually LOSE that fight. His miscalculation, and his efforts thus far to corrupt Hal, lead to him getting his neck snapped. THAT would explain why he wasn't doing anything to further his agenda all that time. It also would allow one of the better arcs from the Spectre series to remain intact, one where a furious Sinestro was returned from the grave, then sent back.

And they STILL would have been able to have him there to be the driving force behind the events of Rebirth, since JUST before Rebirth, in JSA I believe, the Spectre guest-starred, and BUNCHES of people condemned by the Spectre in the past came back. Sinestro could EASILY have been in that bunch, and managed to stick around when it was all over due to his connection to Parallax, who was bonded to the Spectre along with Hal, and exerting influence over it, as we saw in Rebirth.

That's my take, anyway. It would have explained his inaction AND also explained why he took additional action right then, since it would have been his first opportunity after returning from the dead.

Michael Heide 02-22-2011 02:03 PM

Do you want to get your mind blown? Check Green Lantern #57, page 4, panel 2.
He was watching Kyle.
Yes, within the context of the story it's obvious that this was meant to be Psimon - but it's never confirmed or denied. It could be Sinestro. Which is why I'm sticking to that theory. Especially since the color scheme of his scarf/hood combo screams "Classic Sinestro".

SD80MAC 02-22-2011 02:19 PM

Clever. But clearly not the intent. ;)

Kuhan 02-22-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Heide (Post 541022)
Do you want to get your mind blown? Check Green Lantern #57, page 4, panel 2.
He was watching Kyle.

Michael, if you have no info and want to be a troll, please stay out of TEN_RINGS' threads.

SD80MAC 02-22-2011 02:27 PM

Go look at the panel Michael posted. It's good for a laugh. ;)

Michael Heide 02-22-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD80MAC (Post 541030)
Clever. But clearly not the intent. ;)

Clearly. But it works.

And Kuhan, it's your birthday, so in honor of that, I won't call you a ridiculous ridiculous person. Deal? Deal.

SD80MAC 02-22-2011 02:35 PM

It doesn't work. Sinestro has nothing but contempt and disregard for Kyle. There's no reason he'd ever keep tabs on him. Even though Kyle is one of the most powerful Green Lanterns, Sinestro barely deems him worthy of notice.

Kuhan 02-22-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD80MAC (Post 541044)
It doesn't work. Sinestro has nothing but contempt and disregard for Kyle. There's no reason he'd ever keep tabs on him. Even though Kyle is one of the most powerful Green Lanterns, Sinestro barely deems him worthy of notice.

That's not entirely true. It's all really a facade. I'm sure Sinestro considers Kyle completely worth his time. He just can't let on.

SD80MAC 02-22-2011 03:36 PM

We have yet to see any proof of that, in the face of overwhelming proof to the contrary.

Shingo Wol 02-22-2011 04:33 PM

I bet he was watching Soranik.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 02-22-2011 04:50 PM

The only reason Sinestro has any interest in Kyle at all is because he's boinking his daughter. Otherwise he views Kyle as inferior to Hal, who he's always been obsessed with.

Gl Josh 02-22-2011 04:58 PM

Hm, well probably getting things in place for his own Corp, maybe investigating the Blackest Night prophecy, maybe he was tormenting Nero to have him test Kyle's limits, laughing at John Stewart, , watching his daughter grow up, laughing at the Darkstars, laughing at Guy Gardner (wait if GG took the Yellow ring from Sinestro corpse then how was his body inside the CPB?), plus Sinestro did appear during HJ Spectre run. I mean Sinestro had won, what else was he gonna do?

Mister Ed 02-22-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gl Josh (Post 541121)
I mean Sinestro had won, what else was he gonna do?

Keep his "victory" from disappearing? His attempt to ruin Hal's reputation and make people view Hal like he, Sinestro, was viewed, was failing miserably, eroding day by day, as more and more people forgave Hal for his actions and viewed him as still a hero, including, eventually, Batman. The Guardians were reborn, the CPB repowered, and the Corps on its way back. His "victory" was evaporating every day.

You'd think he'd try to use his influence with Parallax to get Hal to commit another atrocity. Or maybe take the obvious opportunity to eliminate the Guardians as children (when they MUST have been more vulnerable). Or do SOMETHING.

Gl Josh 02-22-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Ed (Post 541138)
Keep his "victory" from disappearing? His attempt to ruin Hal's reputation and make people view Hal like he, Sinestro, was viewed, was failing miserably, eroding day by day, as more and more people forgave Hal for his actions and viewed him as still a hero, including, eventually, Batman. The Guardians were reborn, the CPB repowered, and the Corps on its way back. His "victory" was evaporating every day.

You'd think he'd try to use his influence with Parallax to get Hal to commit another atrocity. Or maybe take the obvious opportunity to eliminate the Guardians as children (when they MUST have been more vulnerable). Or do SOMETHING.

Yeah like work on building his own Corps, to help him gain control of the universe, and have the Guardians turn the GLC into killers thus losing any moral high ground. Oh wait, he did that. As for the Guardians being brought back, I think they were fairly powerful remember the one that aged herself and killed Kyle. But why kill them instead make them serve your purpose, Sinestro used Hal to destroy the GLCs and used the Guardians to "destroy" the GLC (remember the third law sent TONS of rings back to Oa). Hearts and minds.

Sinestro 02-22-2011 10:23 PM

...We have strip clubs in Qward too, you know.

TEN_RINGS 02-22-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinestro (Post 541413)
...We have strip clubs in Qward too, you know.

But they have to be very orderly strip clubs. I see lyssa drak on the pole.:sinestro:

ns2 02-22-2011 10:42 PM

coming up with "Alley Rat"

Mister Ed 02-22-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gl Josh (Post 541406)
Yeah like work on building his own Corps, to help him gain control of the universe, and have the Guardians turn the GLC into killers thus losing any moral high ground. Oh wait, he did that. As for the Guardians being brought back, I think they were fairly powerful remember the one that aged herself and killed Kyle. But why kill them instead make them serve your purpose, Sinestro used Hal to destroy the GLCs and used the Guardians to "destroy" the GLC (remember the third law sent TONS of rings back to Oa). Hearts and minds.

Except evidence suggests that he didn't start recruiting for the Sinestro Corps until AFTER Rebirth, so that's out the window. And the Third Law was none of Sinestro's doing, and was post Rebirth as well. What was he doing BEFORE Rebirth, while his gains eroded?

No, of course the real reason he didn't do anything before Rebirth is that he was dead. Rebirth retroactively un-killed him, but it didn't try to fit in a bunch of activity that would be hard to mesh with his total absence during those years.

Gauntlet101010 02-22-2011 11:45 PM

I figured he was starting the Sin Corps. Even if he started recruiting only after Rebirth, there's still the battery and rings to build.

And, in fairness, the Kyle era didn't last 10 years DC time.

Sinestro 02-22-2011 11:59 PM

Also, just so you know, this mustache doesn't take care of itself.

...At least not yet.

Gl Josh 02-23-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Ed (Post 541460)
Except evidence suggests that he didn't start recruiting for the Sinestro Corps until AFTER Rebirth, so that's out the window. And the Third Law was none of Sinestro's doing, and was post Rebirth as well. What was he doing BEFORE Rebirth, while his gains eroded?

No, of course the real reason he didn't do anything before Rebirth is that he was dead. Rebirth retroactively un-killed him, but it didn't try to fit in a bunch of activity that would be hard to mesh with his total absence during those years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 (Post 541496)
I figured he was starting the Sin Corps. Even if he started recruiting only after Rebirth, there's still the battery and rings to build.

And, in fairness, the Kyle era didn't last 10 years DC time.

Well the Sin Corp had factories to make the rings and pretty much a planet to control. So I would assume that you know that takes time, plus it was 10 years our time, so that's is what like 2 years comic time (using 7 years our time equals 1 year comic time). If you really want to know what Sin was up to ask Johns. It took the Qwards years to make Sinestro ring, whence why the Qwards only made two rings before Sin took over.

mrjasontodd 02-23-2011 12:59 AM

he was recruiting contractors and comparing building materials for the best value. Then he was scoping out the best designers in the galaxy to see who would make a master outfit that would work with thousands of uniforms, THEN he went to china to have them mass produce this stuff.

building a successful business from the ground up is hard work, that is why he named it "Sinestro's Corp". He is self made!

Gl Josh 02-23-2011 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjasontodd (Post 541576)
he was recruiting contractors and comparing building materials for the best value. Then he was scoping out the best designers in the galaxy to see who would make a master outfit that would work with thousands of uniforms, THEN he went to china to have them mass produce this stuff.

building a successful business from the ground up is hard work, that is why he named it "Sinestro's Corp". He is self made!

Well I have been having the Chinese make most of my suits for years.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.