The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Lantern on the Screen (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   CW Green Lantern show pitched with Diggle as GL (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25072)

Andrew NDB 08-28-2019 03:01 AM

CW Green Lantern show pitched with Diggle as GL

Allegedly...

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...hed-to-the-cw/

It'd be interesting, I guess. But you just know the comics would be forced to follow suit and make a Diggle Earth GL, too. And who knows what ideas that would put into WB's heads for future GL movies.

Michael Heide 08-28-2019 05:23 AM

I'm years behind on all these shows, but I heard that Diggle was just CW's version of John Stewart, which they confirmed in one of the multiverse crossovers?

Andrew NDB 08-28-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Heide (Post 963773)
I'm years behind on all these shows, but I heard that Diggle was just CW's version of John Stewart, which they confirmed in one of the multiverse crossovers?

Yeah, in the last one. The Monitor I think it was makes some comment about him being GL in another one.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 08-28-2019 02:19 PM

I hope to god if they do it he is playing John Stewart. And not Dingle or whatever his name is on the show.

Andrew NDB 08-28-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker (Post 963782)
I hope to god if they do it he is playing John Stewart. And not Dingle or whatever his name is on the show.

His first name is already John, so they could technically find some way to reveal his "true parents" have the Stewart surname.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 08-28-2019 09:12 PM

Or just make him John Stewart once all these Earths are merged into one after their CoIE arc is done. Make them 2 different characters played by the same actor. They do it on the cw all the time.

Andrew NDB 08-28-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker (Post 963810)
Or just make him John Stewart once all these Earths are merged into one after their CoIE arc is done. Make them 2 different characters played by the same actor. They do it on the cw all the time.

Oh yeah, they could do the merging. As long as his name is John Stewart and we still preserve his Arrow history, I'm good.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 08-28-2019 10:07 PM

Oh forget the Arrow history. Make him a completely different character than that guy. He could be him from a different Earth, but he has a different name where he comes from.

IonFan 08-29-2019 01:37 AM

won't happen, cgi alone would cost to much for a tv show

Big Blue Lantern 08-29-2019 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IonFan (Post 963826)
won't happen, cgi alone would cost to much for a tv show

The Dominators, Grodd, King Shark, Savitar, The Atom, Tar Pit, and Zoom are all effects-heavy characters. The Arrowverse is loaded with alien tech and weaponry. At this point, Green Lantern seems pretty simple in comparison to the things that have already been accomplished.

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fFZNOEXHU

Andrew NDB 08-29-2019 04:34 AM

A Kyle Rayner TV show would make a lot of financial sense. Emerald Twilight happens in some universe and he's the last GL, etc..

So like all the Marz and Winick stuff... largely Earth-based (keeping the cost down), coffee shop and drawing chicks stuff and occasionally a super-powered baddie that needs putting down and occassionally some large GL mythology stuff with the overall "take down Parallax" series arc.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 08-29-2019 05:40 AM

No way they would do Kyle Rayner. Not without making him gay, trans, or a minority. I don't think they'd do Hal on the cw for the same reasons. It just won't be a white hetero male.

Michael Heide 08-29-2019 07:38 AM

They already made Kyle a minority. Depending on who you ask, he's either half latino or, in the case of Tom King, a one-note Mexican stereotype with a power ring.

Ωmega Man 08-29-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 963775)
Yeah, in the last one. The Monitor I think it was makes some comment about him being GL in another one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker (Post 963782)

It was the 90's Flash that made the comment.

"Hey John! Where's your ring?"

IonFan 08-29-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern (Post 963828)
The Dominators, Grodd, King Shark, Savitar, The Atom, Tar Pit, and Zoom are all effects-heavy characters. The Arrowverse is loaded with alien tech and weaponry. At this point, Green Lantern seems pretty simple in comparison to the things that have already been accomplished.

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fFZNOEXHU

those are always once in a blue moon, for a GL show they'd use cgi every episode, the math doesn't add up

Andrew NDB 08-29-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker (Post 963834)
No way they would do Kyle Rayner. Not without making him gay, trans, or a minority. I don't think they'd do Hal on the cw for the same reasons. It just won't be a white hetero male.

Eh... yeah. Maybe in this day and age it really is best to be careful what you wish for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Heide (Post 963836)
They already made Kyle a minority. Depending on who you ask, he's either half latino or, in the case of Tom King, a one-note Mexican stereotype with a power ring.

Wait, when did Tom King work on him?

Michael Heide 08-29-2019 06:01 PM

Omega Men, and then one single panel in Heroes in Crisis, in which Kyle's whole dialogue was "Madre de dios!"

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 08-29-2019 08:47 PM

Haha! That's so cringy!

Parrylakks 09-11-2019 03:21 PM

John Diggle's step father is a general who has the surname Stewart. Paired with the line from 90's Flash in Elseworlds, this indicates that Dig is the Arrowverse John Stewart, which is why it is likely that David Ramsey (the actor) will be a GL in the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover, even if just as another Earth's version of him.

Moving forward from that with a GL series based on said character from whatever Earth isn't far fetched, but as has been pointed out already, may be financially difficult given the limitations of a CW budget. Not impossible, of course, just difficult. Were it to happen, I'd fear a commonality of laser blasts to befall the ring's usage to make it all cheaper, as that wouldn't cost anymore than the constant use of CG arrows in Arrow. That being said, they could also use practical props for constructs and simply tint them green in post, so it may not be entirely impractical.

I would support it, but them I'm that fangirl who supports all of the CW DC superhero shows, so that's not necessarily saying much.

Big Blue Lantern 09-12-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IonFan (Post 963843)
those are always once in a blue moon, for a GL show they'd use cgi every episode, the math doesn't add up

Every episode of Flash is CGI-heavy. The use of a GL ring would be no different than Barry (and other speedsters) constantly using the speed force.

Big Blue Lantern 09-12-2019 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 963829)
A Kyle Rayner TV show would make a lot of financial sense. Emerald Twilight happens in some universe and he's the last GL, etc..

Just the idea of seeing that on TV.....http://media.giphy.com/media/l3vR7aX...Hi48/giphy.gif

Kane2814 10-04-2019 01:17 AM

A GL on tv is totally possible - remember how totally simple John's constructs were (when he made them) in animation? They're energy light constructs - they can look like anything, really. The expensive thing would be GL affecting real world things, but when you think about how "Supergirl" cheats things or has her less powerful than she is in the comics, you can imagine how they'd get away with it for a GL show. I personally wouldn't look forward to a less-then stellar GL show, but if it were written really well, I could get over tv-looking SFX.

Space Cop 10-04-2019 03:35 AM

I really wouldn't want this. I don't particularly like TV (don't even have cable in my rooms) and have even less interest in anything CW, but would feel compelled to watch if it were a real GL show (no matter which lantern).