The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Comics (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The DC Comics Thread Vol. 3 (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24365)

Space Cop 04-04-2019 03:31 AM

Gotta get that DCeased #2 Variant; my signed NoES poster hangs in my den and I see it every day, so it's a familiar sight.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2890/9...2cc1bb3b_n.jpg

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 04-04-2019 12:26 PM

Ha! You got the Green Lantern hostess cakes! Fanboy!

Space Cop 04-04-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker (Post 960809)
Ha! You got the Green Lantern hostess cakes! Fanboy!

It's true (though the box is moved to the next shelf over since that photo). I even had to give all GLO Balls to the family because I hate coconut.

W.West 04-04-2019 02:31 PM

If Mikel Janin was better, he'd be Yasmine Putri.

Michael Heide 04-04-2019 03:13 PM

Yasmine Putri seems like the halfway point between Jason Pearson and Esad Ribic.

W.West 04-05-2019 10:12 PM

Young Justice is so good that I want it to be an animated movie series

Michael Heide 04-11-2019 11:55 AM

Young Animal to return with more Doom Patrol, a new franchise and YET ANOTHER EARTH LANTERN *aneurysm*
https://www.comicsbeat.com/dcs-young...and-mikey-way/

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 04-11-2019 01:34 PM

I really wish Gerard Way wasn't attached to this new Doom Patrol series. His 12 issues he did ended up not being very good. He tried his best to be Grant Morrison, but he was really more of a Rachel Pollack clone. He started out strong but it turned into a dumpster fire fast.

BLACK HAND 04-12-2019 01:14 PM

Although I hate that they feel the need to add another Earth lantern to the mix I do think the story itself sounds interesting, I might give it a gander if it's not too teen vibey.

I'm hoping they make her alien somehow....they don't have to be from Earth to be relatable in some way.

Hypo 04-14-2019 04:04 PM

DC Comics JULY 2019 Solicitations

Hypo 04-28-2019 10:33 PM

Bleeding Cool: David Marquez at DC Comics For New Superman/Batman Ongoing With Joshua Williamson
Bleeding Cool: We Get a New Secret Six For DC’s Year Of The Villain

Hypo 04-30-2019 12:09 AM

Space Cop 05-04-2019 03:26 PM

^I don't like how dark this coming year is looking to be between Year of the Villain and Leviathan. Justice League is already depressing, now it looks like everything is going that way.

Mister Ed 05-06-2019 04:31 PM

I was kind of happy to see that there is apparently no direct tie-in for The Green Lantern with the Year of the Villain nonsense. I mean, I know it is too much to hope for that no Green Lanterns will be involved, but at least we might avoid having it muck about with the main GL title.

This direction of diving headlong into darker themes and confusing, universe-redefining garbage that seems like it will only taint things going forward (for me, anyway), no matter what the resolution of the event is...I don't like it. It is making me seriously consider dropping comics altogether. It would certainly be nice to save the money.

"Chosen" 05-06-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Cop (Post 961323)
^I don't like how dark this coming year is looking to be between Year of the Villain and Leviathan. Justice League is already depressing, now it looks like everything is going that way.

DC has been dark for the past decade or so, what's going on now is no different from say Forever Evil

Mister Ed 05-07-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Chosen" (Post 961343)
DC has been dark for the past decade or so, what's going on now is no different from say Forever Evil

Seems darker to me. Forever Evil didn't reframe the entire universe to be darker at its core, it just had a bunch of villains. And did Forever Evil tarnish any heroes? I don't recall.

But yeah, I've been unhappy with the grimmer trajectory of the DC Universe for quite some time. Probably started as far back as Identity Crisis, which I thoroughly disliked. Nowadays, though, the darker tone seems a bit more universal and line-wide.

IonFan 05-07-2019 04:28 PM

Batman: Metal is all i'm gonna say about this

Mister Ed 05-07-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IonFan (Post 961356)
Batman: Metal is all i'm gonna say about this

I didn't even read Metal. I could tell I wasn't going to like it, and thought it wouldn't be that important outside the event. The fact that I seem to have been wrong about the latter is part of why I don't like the direction the DCU is taking.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 05-07-2019 09:12 PM

I passed on Metal. Come to think of it the last event I think I DID take part in was Brightest Day. Just no interest in them anymore.

buffalorock 05-07-2019 09:19 PM

Metal was decent, I will probably always like Capullo's art. I generally like Snyder, but his non-cape stuff is his best. Reading No Justice and Metal prevented me from getting into his Justice League run.
Too many ideas at once, too much going on, too many words. I couldn't get interested.

Year of the villain isn't anything new to me and I am glad to skip it, though I much prefer bad guy Lex over heroic Lex.

Space Cop 05-07-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffalorock (Post 961361)
Metal was decent, I will probably always like Capullo's art. I generally like Snyder, but his non-cape stuff is his best. Reading No Justice and Metal prevented me from getting into his Justice League run.
Too many ideas at once, too much going on, too many words. I couldn't get interested. . .

I read the whole thing and I still can't remember why what they did broke the source wall. I also still don't get who exactly The Batman Who Laughs is and whether he was the main baddie or not.

IonFan 05-08-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Cop (Post 961362)
I read the whole thing and I still can't remember why what they did broke the source wall. I also still don't get who exactly The Batman Who Laughs is and whether he was the main baddie or not.

^ this, this right here, i too have read all 3 of the Metal books and at the end of the day i have no clue wtf i read wtf was happening and why i should care

Michael Heide 05-09-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Cop (Post 961323)

Yeah, and don't forget the atrociously dark Heroes in Crisis.
To think that they had JUST celebrated their own return to lightheartedness with DC Rebirth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Ed (Post 961352)
Seems darker to me. Forever Evil didn't reframe the entire universe to be darker at its core, it just had a bunch of villains. And did Forever Evil tarnish any heroes? I don't recall.

Well, it did turn Nightwing into special agent Grayson for a year or two. Which was still better than the current "Ric Grayson" arc.

Quote:

But yeah, I've been unhappy with the grimmer trajectory of the DC Universe for quite some time. Probably started as far back as Identity Crisis, which I thoroughly disliked. Nowadays, though, the darker tone seems a bit more universal and line-wide.
Sometimes, I wish that DC would reset all of their books to New Year's Eve 1999 and claim that everything in-between had been a simulation by Brainiac 13. While the years after that had a few nice concepts and updates (I like Batwoman Kate Kane, Blue Beetle Jaime Reyes, Morrison's Seven Soldiers and Batman, Manhunter Kate Spencer and a few others, and the Rucka/Grayson/Brubaker/Vaughan-era of Batman/Detective Comics/Gotham Knights was choice), going back to pre-Infinite Crisis, pre-Our Worlds At War, pre-Green Lantern Rebirth, pre-New-52 etc seems like the only way I'll ever call myself a DC fan again. Every time I think they're getting their act together, they let me down massively. Every single time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Cop (Post 961362)
I also still don't get who exactly The Batman Who Laughs is and whether he was the main baddie or not.

He wasn't the main villain of Metal, that was Barbatos. The Batman Who Laughs was the one who brought Barbatos upon the DC Universe though, with the help of the other multiverse Dark Knights, the Court of Owls and the mantling. One of the reasons we don't remember what happened to the Batman Who Laughs is that they never showed us in Metal. The last issue of Metal had a confrontation between regular Batman, Joker and the Batman Who Laughs, and then as the trump card, other Batmen from the "good" parts of the Multiverse appeared. Dark Knights Returns Batman, Leatherwing, Red Son Batman, Kelley Jones vampire Batman and others.
This huge "you need good Batmen to fight evil Batmen" splashpage was the last we saw of it, the rest of the issue dealt with other stuff.

Space Cop 05-09-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Heide (Post 961375)
...He wasn't the main villain of Metal, that was Barbatos. The Batman Who Laughs was the one who brought Barbatos upon the DC Universe though, with the help of the other multiverse Dark Knights, the Court of Owls and the mantling. One of the reasons we don't remember what happened to the Batman Who Laughs is that they never showed us in Metal. . .

Oh, yeah. Thanks.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 05-09-2019 12:50 PM

That sounds awful.