The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Comics (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The DC Comics Thread Vol. 3 (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24365)

Hypo 06-09-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's Dark Nights: Death Metal launches next week, but before it even debuts the event is growing by three new specials, all on sale in September.

The 48-page one-shots - Dark Nights: Death Metal: Trinity Crisis, Dark Nights: Death Metal: Speed Metal and Dark Nights: Death Metal: Multiverse’s End - all spring out of the events of August's Death Metal #3, while the main seven-issue series takes September off as a skip month.

Trinity Crisis #1 is one sale first on September 8, written by Snyder with art and cover by Francis Manapul.
Quote:

"With Superman freed from his New Apokolips prison, the classic Trinity lineup is back together and ready to rock their next gig," reads DC's description.

"Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman amp up their power to launch an assault on Castle Bat, and that’s just the warm-up act! Three walking nightmares are hidden deep inside the fortress—but these Dark Multiverse versions of the Anti-Monitor, Superboy Prime, and Darkseid hold the key to humanity's survival. The Justice League have to face down their old nemeses, but will round two be the end for our heroes?"

Speed Metal #1 follows on September 22, written by Joshua Williamson with art by Eddy Barrows and Eber Ferreira and a cover by Howard Porter.
Quote:

"It’s the drag race from hell! Taking place after the events of Dark Nights: Death Metal, the Darkest Knight is after Wally West and his Dr. Manhattan powers," reads the description." Thankfully, Wally has back-up in the form of Barry Allen, Jay Garrick, and Wallace West! It’s a knockdown, drag-out race through the Wastelands as the Flash Family tries to stay steps ahead of the Darkest Knight and his Lightning Knights!"

Finally, Multiverse’s End #1 concludes the one-shots on September 29, written by James Tynion IV with art by Juan Gedeon and a cover by Michael Golden.
Quote:

"Perpetua, mother of all existence, has culled all life and creation in the Multiverse, condensing all beings to one planet: Earth Prime," reads DC's description. "In her quest for power and dominance, she rules absolutely and in totality, using her children—the Monitors and Anti-Monitors—as her heralds and destructors.

"But a group of heroes has banded together across multiple worlds in a last-ditch effort to stop her from destroying all of existence: Owlman, President Superman, Iris West, Captain Carrot, Guy Gardner and others choose to make their final stand in a battle they’re destined to lose!"

Michael Heide 06-09-2020 05:00 PM

Good Lord, what is Jay Garrick wearing?

Hypo 06-09-2020 05:07 PM

Dollars to donuts it's a Jim Lee design.

Agent Purple 06-09-2020 08:48 PM

Yeah, I think I'll pass on those, and I say that while intending to buy and read the main series.

Hypo 06-09-2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Look, you know how this goes. I occasionally get the tiniest titbit or what may be coming down the pipe from rather well-connected sources. I may not understand the whole of it, the implications, certainly not the wide picture. It was like that at DC Comics when I heard the mention of the term '5G'. Even though that was then cancelled, the greater details we got and the confirmation from the likes of Geoff Johns and Tom King all spilled out of that one mention.

So, in the spirit of that, and aware that this could lead to nothing as well as something, here is what I've been hearing this weekend. Yes, 5G is most definitely cancelled at DC Comics with kill fees paid to those who create not inconsiderable amounts of work for it. I understand that's what Robert Venditti had been working on as well, explaining why his Justice League run was intentionally short. The only other creators I'd heard solidly connected with 5G were John Ridley on Batman and Francis Manapul on Aquaman.

But something seems to be taking its place in terms of scope, if not in continuity, at DC Comics . It's also a digital comics initiative, the kind of thing that might be collected later in graphic novel format for comic stores and bookstores. Let's call the Original Digital Comics shall we?

I have heard three names mentioned at DC Comics in association with whatever this is. Warren Ellis, Chip Zdarsky and Matt Fraction. And that it may involve new versions of Superman and Batman, That is it. Nothing more. It came from well-connected comic book creators but who knows how that has changed even in that short retelling.

No one else is saying anything, and I have asked around. Instead, I have mostly been met with silence. Read in that what you will. But some may see it sit along with other DC Comics rumours, from different sources such as a move away from monthly printed comic to digital and bookstore-focused collections. But remember, when you come to this sort of thing to take it all with pinch of this stuff.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-10-2020 12:19 PM

All 3 of these covers are HIDEOUS. seriously, that DC considers this artwork good enough to sell these three issues shows how low the standards have dropped in the industry since 2011. Just ugly. Your eye isn't drawn to anything in particular, instead it's just this big pile of crap I'm looking at that my brain has no interest in registering.

Hypo 06-10-2020 08:55 PM

Michael Heide 06-11-2020 02:50 AM

Excellent. Their Constantine scenes were the best bits in DCeased.

Hypo 06-11-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Rub some sunscreen on your circuits, because DC’s favorite cyborgs are hitting the beach in DC Cybernetic Summer on July 28! In this sizzling summertime anthology special, Harley Quinn and Sy Borgman conquer a truly titanic water slide, Cyborg, Superman, and Cyborg Superman find it difficult to have a conversation, much less a fight, and Batman tries everything to escape a summer cookout—even taking on the omnipotent Brother Eye and his newly infectious O.M.A.C.s!

And it’s not just the cyborgs hitting the surf! Flashes from across the multiverse gather for a race to claim the fastest flash in the multiverse! Mercury Flash from Earth-44 is out to win it all this year, the only person standing in his way is…Barry Allen! And Red Tornado’s on a camping trip with his wife Kathy and his daughter Traya, but he’s distracted by Justice League matters! When a threat emerges, will Red Tornado be able to protect his family?

All these and more sunburnt stories that are worth getting sand in your motherboard for!
  • Red Tornado in “Summer Camp” by Stephanie Phillips and Leila del Duca
  • Cyborg, Superman, and Cyborg Superman in “Catfish Crisis” by Stuart Moore and Cully Hamner
  • Superboy, starring the Legion of Super-Heroes, in “Summer Lovin’” by Liz Erickson and Nik Virella
  • Batman, O.M.A.C. and Brother Eye in “The Limits of Control” by Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman
  • Robot Man in “The Summer Blues” by Max Bemis and Greg Smallwood
  • Harley Quinn and Sy Borgman in “Splish Splash Special” by Che Grayson and Marguerite Sauvage
  • Booster Gold, Blue Beetle and Skeets in “The Boys of Summer” by Heath Corson and Scott Koblish
  • Mercury Flash in “The Speedster Games” by Joshua Williamson and David Lafuente
  • Midnighter, Apollo, Monsieur Mallah and The Brain in “Out There” by Steve Orlando and Paul Pelletier
  • Platinum and Wonder Woman in “Fandom” by Andrew Constant and Nicola Scott

DC Cybernetic Summer is an 80-page, Prestige format one-shot on sale at comic book stores and participating online retailers on July 28 with a cover by Dan Mora.

Space Cop 06-11-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker (Post 970165)
All 3 of these covers are HIDEOUS. seriously, that DC considers this artwork good enough to sell these three issues shows how low the standards have dropped in the industry since 2011. Just ugly. Your eye isn't drawn to anything in particular, instead it's just this big pile of crap I'm looking at that my brain has no interest in registering.

But you're a heavy-metal guy. You're supposed to be flashing the horns while you read these solicits and screaming "that's so metal."

Trey Strain 06-11-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Cop (Post 970180)
But you're a heavy-metal guy. You're supposed to be flashing the horns while you read these solicits and screaming "that's so metal."

No, he does the head-bob, air guitar thing of Beavis and Butt-Head.

But he's right. Back in the Silver Age DC operated under the assumption that the cover sold the comic. That wasn't entirely true, but still, the cover is the first thing anybody sees, and that stuff there isn't going to make anyone interested in spending four dollars for a comic.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-11-2020 09:16 PM

Hey! My heavy metal fanboy credentials are in order!

Seriously, there are many ways to design covers to grab your attention and make you want to read the story within. It's all about layout. And the layouts for all 3 of these covers do not work. They are too cluttered, and not cluttered in a George Perez "I got this" kind of way. They are like Scott McDaniels if he saw fit to jam pack every inch of space with unnecessary lines and details, and the colors are an explosion overloading your senses so bad you can't even tell what you are looking at.

It's like an episode of Hoarders was expressed as a comic page.

You know who used to make really effective covers? The guy that did the covers for the Connor Hawke Green Arrow run in the 90s. That guy knew how to compose a cover that drew you in. "More" is a bad thing if you dont know how and when to give it.

Hypo 06-12-2020 08:53 PM

DC Comics September 2020 Solicitations

Hypo 06-14-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 970201)

Christ, I hate this Newsarama redesign, anyways a few thoughts:

Michael Heide 06-15-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 970225)
Christ, I hate this Newsarama redesign, anyways a few thoughts:

I guess Wally's Dr. Manhattan costume wasn't "metal" enough.

Quote:

Having the JSA popup in a random Hawkman issue after Snyder reintroduced them in JL seems kind of lackluster.
DC had gone through great lengths to make sure that starting with the New 52, Hawkman had no ties to the Justice Society, because the Justice Society didn't exist. Now that they exist again, it has to be adressed.

Quote:

Every month I am amazed that Justice League Odyssey is still around.
Yeah, DC is still trying to make their Guardians of the Galaxy happen. It reeks of desperation at this point.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-15-2020 04:30 PM

One positive aspect of the JSA not existing in the post 2011 nu52 DC Universe, was that they were no longer in constant danger of being dragged through the mud the way they had been their last few years of publication. With DC dipping their big toe in Society waters again, all those fears are coming back to me.

Michael Heide 06-15-2020 04:57 PM

I often think what the DC Universe would look like if Carlin hadn't canceled the Strazewski/Parobeck Justice Society after not even a dozen issues. If that had been the take other writers emulated instead of the Justice Society of Edgelords Robinson/Goyer/Johns book.

Hypo 06-15-2020 07:01 PM

DC AND HBO MAX ANNOUNCE NEW ORIGINAL DIGITAL COMIC SERIES

Blech, synergy.

Michael Heide 06-15-2020 07:30 PM

I'm furious. After all of the shit DC pulled during a pandemic that prevents customers from getting to my store, doubling my shipping costs for DC books? Now they add more stories to bypass my store completely?
I don't get it, is Jim Lee on a vendetta against brick and mortar stores?

Hypo 06-15-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Heide (Post 970237)
I'm furious. After all of the shit DC pulled during a pandemic that prevents customers from getting to my store, doubling my shipping costs for DC books? Now they add more stories to bypass my store completely?
I don't get it, is Jim Lee on a vendetta against brick and mortar stores?

• Jim Lee personally helped raise $600,000+ dollars for brick and mortar shops via his sketch drive, so no, I don't think he has a vendetta
  • You really think DC editorial is behind a marketing push for HBO MAX which is AT&T's new baby? This has probably been in the works in some form since HBO MAX was announced back in 2018, way before the pandemic.
  • You really think the below is competing against the product you sell in your store in any way? Who is this even for?
    Quote:

These new comics also celebrate the recent launch of the new HBO Max and are chock-full of Easter Eggs and fun nods to much of the 10 thousand hours of premium content currently available on the streaming platform such as Friends, HBO’s Game of Thrones, The Big Bang Theory, HBO’s Sex and the City, Scooby-Doo and more. Can you find them all?!

Free to download starting today, this initial launch of the digital comic includes three 8-page chapters featuring everyday people, Hector, Brian and Olivia (HBO), who meet Max the dog, gain access to different superpowers and become able to teleport, shape shift, fly and save lives around the world. The comics embody the theme that HBO Max has something for everyone and that everyone can be their own superhero and take themselves to the max!

“We are thrilled to partner with the amazing team at DC to present this creative personification of HBO Max as a team of powerful comic book superheroes,” said Robert Greenblatt, Chairman, Warner Media Entertainment and Direct-To-Consumer. “These fun, original stories depict a diverse range of ordinary individuals who are symbolic of the depth and breadth of programming that is available on the platform, driving home the message that HBO Max has something for everyone.”

Ωmega Man 06-17-2020 12:43 AM

I can see why somebody higher up thought it was a neat idea... but I can't believe they wasted talent on this project. I had to double check that one character wasn't a redesigned New 52 Adam Strange.

Michael Heide 06-17-2020 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 970238)
Jim Lee personally helped raise $600,000+ dollars for brick and mortar shops via his sketch drive, so no, I don't think he has a vendetta

And yet it's sending very mixed messages to constantly undercut and inconvenience the direct market. Where I previously had a profit margin of a dollar and some change on every sold DC book, it's now less than 70 cents. Which means that I just cannot take risks on new titles and one-shots as much as I used to. And now not only do I not get to sell the final issues of Supergirl and the Terrifics, books that several of my customers had on their pull lists, they now add new titles that I don't get to sell at all?
At a time where a massive worldwide pandemic has already cut into most of my reserves?

Quote:

You really think DC editorial is behind a marketing push for HBO MAX which is AT&T's new baby? This has probably been in the works in some form since HBO MAX was announced back in 2018, way before the pandemic.[*]You really think the below is competing against the product you sell in your store in any way? Who is this even for?
DC completists, for once? Fans of the cover artists? I mean, these books have artwork by Jim Lee and Amanda Conner. I could have sold a copy or two of these titles. Maybe more.

Agent Purple 06-18-2020 01:49 AM

Chris Farley playing Harley Quinn artwork is the stuff of nightmares

Space Cop 06-18-2020 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Purple (Post 970271)

Aww. They took it down. Bummer.

Mister Ed 06-18-2020 12:09 PM

Still there for me