The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Comics (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The DC Comics Thread Vol. 3 (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24365)

Fearless 10-22-2016 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Purple (Post 935498)
The latter. KMR may have been fairly good and made sure he didn't phone it in, but there's no damn way he's better than Hamill.

That's what I thought. :couch:

Hypo 10-23-2016 06:12 PM

http://i.imgur.com/lg6dnuC.png

Hypo 10-23-2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 935255)

This will be the first time in 525 months that Paul Levitz will not be on a DC title in some way.

Fearless 10-23-2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 935569)
This will be the first time in 525 months that Paul Levitz will not be on a DC title in some way.

That's a lot of months.

Hypo 10-23-2016 10:48 PM

So many months.

Agent Purple 10-24-2016 12:44 AM

So months, much DC.

dogememe.png

"Chosen" 10-28-2016 03:15 PM

Old-Style Lobo To Lead The New Justice League Of America With Batman And Black Canary

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-conte...38-600x450.jpg

Hypo 10-28-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chosen";935789][URL="http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/28/old-style-lobo-to-lead-the-new-justice-league-of-america-with-black-canary-unveiled-at-mcm-london-comic-con/
Old-Style Lobo To Lead The New Justice League Of America With Batman And Black Canary[/URL]

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-conte...38-600x450.jpg

Quote:

We are excited to reveal the final three members of DC’s upcoming Justice League of America comic book series launching in February 2017: Batman, Black Canary, and, believe it or not, Lobo. These three characters complete the roster that will make up the team’s initial lineup, joining already-revealed members Vixen, Killer Frost, The Atom (Ryan Choi), and The Ray.

Take your first look at the cover to Justice League of America #1 by artist Ivan Reis, who will be drawing the series.
Quote:

Whereas Batman and Black Canary are two of the most renowned heroes from DC’s pantheon, Lobo is a loud-mouthed, cursing, cigar-smoking, motorcycle-riding, alien bounty hunter, so him joining the team comes out of left field.

“For some people, Lobo will be a hero. For others, he'll be an anti-hero. It's moving past these black and white definitions and realizing that you have to have a malleable idea to serve everyone instead of just the people in the mainstream. Lobo, I think there's more to him than ever before,” said series writer Steve Orlando in a phone interview.

You’ll notice that Lobo has been reverted back closer to his original character design rather than the New 52's thin, clean-shaven version deemed “Twlight Lobo” by fans.

“I like to think that we're giving people the Lobo that made him famous and as time goes on hopefully we can get into how we got there a little bit more,” Orlando teased.

The reversion extends to Lobo’s personality, too.

“He's the Lobo we all love, causing mayhem. He'll be giving people what they want but at the same time he does have a code. The main man's word is his bond, man. I think that's important. That's one of the things that guides him through life. We find out a little bit what's behind this character. Not to soften him, but to give him more depth because he's still the hard partying, bullshit calling, bullshit calling especially, it's what I love about him, but if anyone is there to remind them that they're taking themselves too seriously to remind people that they're hypocrites, it's him,” Orlando said. “I mean, he's on a team with Batman, he's not going to exploding people's brains all over the place, but that's not to say that that's not going to cause conflict and he's not going to want to.”

Batman is already a member of the Justice League proper, and Orlando confirms he’ll be pulling double duty with membership on both teams.

Batman’s inspiration for joining the team will come from a pivotal scene he shares with Killer Frost during Justice League vs. Suicide Squad (Rebirth's first big event, out on December 21), according to Orlando.

“Without giving too much away, I would say that the inspiration of this scene, perhaps paradoxically, comes from the events that happen between Batman and Frost, to show him that the world changed and heroism has to change with it. It's a reality check for him. Batman is someone who thinks that he always has everything under his thumb and under control but he has a moment where he realizes he has to rebuild, he has to change, he has to redefine heroism. The callout is that he's not the only one. There's maybe people that he can help do it, and even more importantly, there's people he can surround himself that can help him do that for himself,” Orlando said.

Orlando emphasized to us that Black Canary earns her spot on the team not only for being one of the best hand-to-hand fighters in the DC Universe, alongside Batman, but for how she provides a different perspective from being on the ground with Green Arrow fighting for social justice and understanding what hope and justice mean for different people.

“She doesn't lord above people with a mask. She's in Seattle, she's seen by people, she talks to people, she listens to people. She's there, as Batman says, to keep him honest, to keep him in line. He knows what he wants to do, but it's a bit out of his comfort zone. Honestly, she's there because of the immense amount of respect he has for her and what she does,” Orlando said.

The team’s initial roster is set, but it’s long been the tradition of superhero team books to have a constantly-changing roster, and because Orlando is also writing Supergirl’s solo series, we asked if she might find her way to the team one day.

“Eventually, sure. I love Kara. She is 16, so her peers might be found in a team like the Teen Titans before the Justice League. But at the same time, I always love a character that rises to the occasion, like when Wally West first joined the JLA class. There's always a spot for her on the team because of the unique point of view she brings in the DC universe. What team she's on will depend on whenever the chance arises. I'd love to bring those books together,” Orlando said.

Orlando explained the difference between the Justice League (whose ongoing series is written by Bryan Hitch with art by Tony S. Daniel) and the Justice League of America.

“They also have completely different points of view. I think that's important. Bryan and Tony are doing amazing work in the biggest mainstream comic you can find. We are still doing things that are insane and exciting but I think that just by virtue of who's on the team, the points of view and the lanes they will travel in will be different. The places the Justice League of America go will be different because they're tuned in to the different communities. They're tuned into people that have never thought that they would see a superhero before, that they never thought they'd be thought of or heard by them,” Orlando said. “And besides the fact that they have a different face and a different roster, there's an emotional quality that I think is different. This is about reinvention. It's about rebuilding and it's about putting heroism out in this world that matches the needs of the world today. And we're going to do that on every page as much as we possibly can.”

Finally, Orlando teased that the new JLA book will pick up on mysteries set up in DC Universe: Rebirth #1 and he wants it to be a centerpiece of the DC Universe going forward.

“The other thing that I'm excited to do is to meet these teams and unwrap the mystery of Rebirth and other events coming up, to really have JLA be the book that the DC Universe rotates around. All these changes are happening in the book because I wanted it to be vital. I wanted it to matter. I want the DC Universe to orbit around the Justice League of America,” Orlando said.

Booster Beetle 10-28-2016 03:46 PM

Ugh

Space Cop 10-28-2016 03:48 PM

Well, if there's no GL in it, I'll probably quit on the league. I hate Lobo with a passion.

"Chosen" 10-28-2016 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booster Beetle (Post 935793)
Ugh

It's Steve Orlando and Ivan Reis, what's the ugh for?

EmeraldGladiator 10-28-2016 03:59 PM

ugh for me because I love Ivan Reis but once again DC has put him on a book, that if he wasn't associated with it, I probably wouldn't bother with but now feel torn about. Just because I love his work. Sort of like Suicide Squad if not for the art I wouldn't have it on my pull list. I want Ivan back drawing Hal!!!

"Chosen" 10-28-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator (Post 935797)
ugh for me because I love Ivan Reis but once again DC has put him on a book, that if he wasn't associated with it, I probably wouldn't bother with but now feel torn about. Just because I love his work. Sort of like Suicide Squad if not for the art I wouldn't have it on my pull list. I want Ivan back drawing Hal!!!

Ivan's not coming back to GL, Sandavol is great. I'm happy with that.

Booster Beetle 10-28-2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Chosen" (Post 935795)
It's Steve Orlando and Ivan Reis, what's the ugh for?

Lobo.

buffalorock 10-28-2016 06:15 PM

I've been looking forward to them releasing the rest of the roster, but I don't know about this lineup. I like Justice League stuff but the main Rebirth title doesn't look good to me so I was holding out for this one.

Batman on another league (sigh) and Lobo (who I actually like, but has no business being on the JLA), I may trade wait it still but not a fan of this direction for now.

"Chosen" 10-28-2016 06:21 PM

it's something new.. with creators i like, i'm in.

EmeraldGladiator 10-28-2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Chosen" (Post 935798)
Ivan's not coming back to GL, Sandavol is great. I'm happy with that.

I am loving Sandovol no disrespect to him meant. But back to Ivan why not? Short of doing a Bat book, or obviously a JLA one what book at DC is more high profile than GL? When Ivan was on GL it was DC's hottest biggest property...period. I still hold out hope that Ivan will return to Hal eventually, probably around the time Geoff does but I am hoping for sooner.

"Chosen" 10-28-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator (Post 935814)
I am loving Sandovol no disrespect to him meant. But back to Ivan why not?

why not? because i'd like to see him evolve and draw other characters and not just GL.

And when Johns was writing GL it was the hottest thing no matter who the artist was. Ivan Reis, Philip Tan, Doug Mahnke, etc.

Agent Purple 10-28-2016 08:35 PM

I liked Lobo back in the Superman cartoon around ten years or so back, and he's had some moments in the comics, but the disaster of Clono (Clone Lobo. Get it? It's a shitty name to match a shitty character) really hurt his standing in general and putting him as a certified member of the JLA?

No, I don't think so. Doesn't mesh.

Space Cop 10-28-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Purple (Post 935821)
I liked Lobo back in the Superman cartoon around ten years or so back...

So do you hear Lobo in Brad Garret's voice?

http://statici.behindthevoiceactors....eries-65.9.jpg

Agent Purple 10-28-2016 08:51 PM

Indeed I do. Such an absolutely excellent matchup, the tone in harmony with the visual.

Ωmega Man 10-29-2016 12:45 AM

My kid could come up with a better roster...

~M~

Space Cop 10-29-2016 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -M- (Post 935836)

~M~

Ask him and we can compare.

Agent Purple 10-29-2016 02:50 AM

Batman
Wonder Woman
Flash
Green Lantern
Martian Manhunter
Batman

There's a great lineup.

Fearless 10-29-2016 02:57 AM

Steve Orlando, Ivan Reis, the return of the original Lobo, and kick-ass Black Canary alongside Batman?

Sign me the fuck up.

IonFan 10-29-2016 07:16 AM

KF and *the real* LoBo on the side of angels............................ HA! THAT'LL BE THE DAY:rollseyes:

Space Cop 10-29-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Purple (Post 935838)
Batman
Wonder Woman
Flash
Green Lantern
Martian Manhunter
Batman

There's a great lineup.

Yeah, but where'd you get your second Batman? ;)

I always assume a roster of seven. To me, the classic lineup is Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and then Green Arrow or a similar second-stringer (one of the Hawks, etc). I've actually enjoyed some off-kilter teams like JLI or when Vixen or Manitou Dawn were on it, but I just hate Lobo.

Mister Ed 10-29-2016 11:59 AM

Yeah, that lineup ensures I won't be picking it up. The lack of a GL was probably enough to make me skip it, but Lobo being in it stood a good chance of making me pass even if it DID have a GL (especially if it was just Baz or Cruz).

Agent Purple 10-29-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Cop (Post 935845)
Yeah, but where'd you get your second Batman? ;)

He counts twice, because he is the alpha and the omega.

Mister Ed 10-29-2016 12:02 PM

Also, given the notion that the choices here are at least somewhat influenced by what characters are showing up on CW shows, I REALLY hope that doesn't mean that any of those shows will be polluted with Lobo's presence some time soon.

Hypo 10-31-2016 12:00 AM

Count me in the group that sees Lobo as a weird choice, I'll still check the book out but I don't see how that possibly works.

Anyways: EARTH 2 Writer Promises 'Genuine' Revamp In Title's New Start

I don't know why this book still exists.

Agent Purple 10-31-2016 12:12 AM

It's obviously a...second choice.

Ba. Dum. Tish.

Hypo 11-01-2016 12:16 AM

DC will continue to double ship comics through 2017. Also:

http://i.imgur.com/UZoSRkb.png

Agent Purple 11-01-2016 12:24 AM

Winx Club: The Corruption.

Fearless 11-01-2016 01:45 AM

*squints and tilts head* ...A-Amethyst?

Agent Purple 11-01-2016 02:10 AM

Maybe George Lucas is making that sequel to the animated Legend film from a year or so back? Only he handed everything over to Games Workshop, who proceeded to turn it into a creampuff version of Warhammer?

Fearless 11-01-2016 02:30 AM

It's like Tinkerbell meets Tauriel from The Hobbit...

Agent Purple 11-01-2016 08:40 PM

It's like they asked the members of Judas Priest what a fantasy story should be like.

W.West 11-01-2016 09:14 PM

It's like...ugly.

Ωmega Man 11-02-2016 12:51 AM

My 7 Year Old's Justice League...

Quote:

Originally Posted by -M- (Post 935836)

~M~

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Cop (Post 935837)
Ask him and we can compare.

My son is 7, and his main experiences with DC material is the classic JLU cartoon, Batman: Brave & the Bold, Batman Beyond, the newer animated movies like Flashpoint Paradox and JL War, the Young Justice series, the GL animated series, and he's about halfway through reading my tpb of Morrison's last JLA arc World War III [because he likes seeing all the DC characters at once he says] cause he's in the 1st grade and reading at a 5th grade level already. He also REALLY likes Lego Batman 3 and all those characters he was introduced to.

HIS line up, with no real experience with them in the comics save for the one tpb....

Batman
Black Canary
Hawkgirl
Booster Gold
Zatanna
Blue Beetle
Red Tornado

... then I asked the question. "If you could choose a villain to reform and become a member of the League?" His answer: ATROCITUS.

I'm telling ya, my kid knows his shit. Even if he doesn't know all their comic histories, that League of his has a ton of potential. He doesn't even know about Beetle/Booster being best buds, but then again my kid's BB is Jaime Reyes. Imagine the conflicts that could come with Hawkgirl and Atrocitus being on the same team...

~M~