The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Comics (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The DC Comics Thread Vol. 3 (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24365)

Hypo 06-07-2016 10:27 PM

DC ENTERTAINMENT SIGNS MITCH GERADS!
Quote:

BURBANK, Calif. (June 7, 2016) – DC Entertainment (DCE) continues to add top-notch talent to its creative roster, announcing today that it has reached an agreement with artist Mitch Gerads to create comic book content solely for its DC and Vertigo imprints. Gerads will continue his incredible work with writer Tom King (who has also made DCE his creative home) on Vertigo’s groundbreaking monthly series THE SHERIFF OF BABYLON. Drawing on King’s background and experiences as a CIA counterterrorism operations officer, this wartime crime drama takes readers deep into the underworld of the city of Baghdad during one of the most tumultuous times in modern history.

”As our talent roster continues to expand, it’s exciting to see that we’re stocking it with some of the best writers and artists in the industry today, and Mitch Gerads is no exception,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee. “His style is the perfect complement to Tom King’s gritty storytelling, and I can’t wait to see how Mitch tackles other Vertigo and DC projects in the future.”

The series explores Baghdad, 2003. Florida Police officer-turned-military contractor, Chris Henry is tasked with training a new Iraqi police force. When one of his trainees ends up dead, Chris is forced to team up with Nassir, the last remaining cop in Baghdad. Pulling the strings to bring them together is the mysterious Sofia, an American-educated Iraqi who has returned to take control of the city’s criminal underworld. This monthly miniseries will see its first story arc collected as a trade paperback in comic book stores on July 6 and everywhere books are sold on July 12.

“From the moment I began working with them, the Vertigo and DC teams have treated me like family, so teaming up with them was an easy and obvious decision for me,” explains Gerads. “I’m really looking forward to my future with the company,” and am incredibly proud of THE SHERIFF OF BABYLON; Tom and I are excited to work on a book that feels so important and Vertigo has given us a chance to really say something, and say it all. I’m right where I should be.”

Hypo 06-07-2016 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 927471)

This was my favorite out of all last weeks Rebirth issues, Percy's wordiness is still a big weakness when it comes to his writing but I felt like he absolutely nailed Ollie and and Dinah's chemistry and I'm really looking forward to the next issue.

On the art side of things Otto Schmidt was great, in fact he was so good that I expect DC to pull him off the book soon and put him on something else.

4.5/5

Fearless 06-08-2016 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 928033)
This was my favorite out of all last weeks Rebirth issues, Percy's wordiness is still a big weakness when it comes to his writing but I felt like he absolutely nailed Ollie and and Dinah's chemistry and I'm really looking forward to the next issue.

On the art side of things Otto Schmidt was great, in fact he was so good that I expect DC to pull him off the book soon and put him on something else.

4.5/5

Damn! I hope not! :p I want Schmidt illustrating the adventures of a back-to-basics Ollie and Dinah for months to come! But yeah, sometimes I felt as though the words coming out of the mouths of the characters weren't /their/ words, y'know? Either way, a great first outing. Probably my favorite of the first week Rebirth batch.

Space Cop 06-08-2016 12:51 PM

^I liked it. I'm glad Dinah softened a bit. At first, She seemed too accusatory for a stranger who was clearly helping. By the end, though, it was a fun dynamic.

Darth_Primus 06-08-2016 07:30 PM

It's so nice to see that Action Comics and Detective Comics return to their original numbering at #957 and #934 respectively.

Space Cop 06-08-2016 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Primus (Post 928093)
It's so nice to see that Action Comics and Detective Comics return to their original numbering at #957 and #934 respectively.

QFT. This makes me happier than any other thing in Rebirth. The loss of the original numbering to the two longest-running comics in history was the the saddest part on the New 52 to me.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-08-2016 11:25 PM

They should have also set Batman and Superman back to their original numbering as well. All four golden age titles should maintain their numbering at all costs.

Hypo 06-08-2016 11:29 PM

Green Arrow #1 Teaser by Otto Schmidt

http://i.imgur.com/VviPlOd.png?1

W.West 06-08-2016 11:34 PM

Silk is that you?

Hypo 06-09-2016 11:21 PM

Green Arrow #1 Preview
Writer: Benjamin Percy
Artist: Otto Schmidt

http://i.imgur.com/NocLVPZ.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/0xUmA6i.png

Agent Purple 06-09-2016 11:56 PM

Green Arrow's attacking a TMNT con's Casey Jones fans?

What an asshole.

Hypo 06-10-2016 12:00 AM

They deserve it

Marvelous Iggy 06-10-2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 928119)
Green Arrow #1 Teaser by Otto Schmidt

http://i.imgur.com/VviPlOd.png?1

not a fan of this art, won't read Green Arrow due to this.

Booster Beetle 06-10-2016 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Purple (Post 928256)
Green Arrow's attacking a TMNT con's Casey Jones fans?

What an asshole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 928257)
They deserve it

Huh?

KilowogsDisciple 06-10-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booster Beetle (Post 928266)
Huh?

He might have been joking (forgive me for any presumption, please).

Hypo 06-10-2016 11:41 PM

Justice League: Rebirth #1 Variant by Joe Madureira

http://i.imgur.com/O2AjU9S.png?1

Agent Purple 06-11-2016 12:23 AM

Not as ugly as his Ultimates 3 run, so I suppose that's a huge step forward.

KilowogsDisciple 06-11-2016 12:46 AM

Really like the JL.

Hypo 06-11-2016 04:27 PM

http://i.imgur.com/b2UdwaX.png

KilowogsDisciple 06-11-2016 04:32 PM

That's so cryptic to me...all I really got from that is the (good) news that he's staying with DC. Maybe he has an independent thing lined up or something. I'd commission him in a heartbeat, love his art.

Hypo 06-11-2016 04:34 PM

He already said his next book will be with Johns so Johns presumably won't be back writing comics for a while.

Ωmega Man 06-12-2016 12:20 PM

Praying its JSA or Legion related.

~M~

KilowogsDisciple 06-12-2016 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -M- (Post 928430)
Praying its JSA or Legion related.

~M~

+1,000,000

W.West 06-12-2016 02:57 PM

Whatever terrible idea Geoff has for a Watchmen event.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-12-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.West (Post 928444)

Probably this.

Hypo 06-13-2016 11:48 PM

Titans: Rebirth #1 Preview
Writer: Dan Abnett
Artist: Brett Booth

http://i.imgur.com/lcgXA2u.png

EmeraldGladiator 06-14-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.West (Post 928444)

I know Geoff has some pull but this is getting ridiculous. DC doesn't have many A-List artist on the roster but it looks like Geoff gets dibs on most of the A-list talent for his projects. Which is ok if Geoff is writing your tent pole books but now Geoff has to put writing aside and prioritize other job functions. Yet the dibs rule still appears in affect. Gary Frank sits around until Geoff gets around to doing another Batman Earth one, Fabok is on the bench until Geoff has time for his next crossover event. Reis hides out until this Aquaman/JLA arc comes out. I would think DC would be better served with having Frank, Reis and Fabok out there helping sell books instead of saving them for big events. That's how you end up with Tan on GL for an extended run, he is about the best you have available because all of the studs are not being used. I am happy about Superwoman for if no other reason Jiminez is on the DC roster and wasn't being used at all. Imagine Phil drawing the Parallax issues, it wouldn't have made the story telling any better but I would have enjoyed it more.

Hypo 06-15-2016 12:23 AM

Green Arrow #1 Preview
Writer: Benjamin Percy
Artist: Otto Schmidt

http://i.imgur.com/3WRSfyZ.jpg?1

Ωmega Man 06-15-2016 02:14 AM

I'm pumped for TITANS.

~M~

Agent Purple 06-15-2016 02:15 AM

You'd be more pumped if Hans and Franz were the writers and artists.

Darth_Primus 06-15-2016 02:32 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-50294...e-lat-oUXQ.gif

"Chosen" 06-15-2016 06:03 PM

I don't know what's gotten into Ben Percy, but Green Arrow is my book of the week!

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-15-2016 11:00 PM

I flipped through GA #1 on the stand today and was pleasantly amused to see that Oliver Queen actually resembles Oliver Queen in the comics again.

Hypo 06-15-2016 11:38 PM

DC ANNOUNCES MORE REBIRTH ISSUES HEADED TO SECOND PRINTINGS
Quote:

BURBANK, CA – DC’s REBIRTH line-wide relaunch continues to be a huge hit with fans, as more issues from the June title lineup head into their second printings. In addition to TITANS: REBIRTH #1, written by Dan Abnett with art by Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund and Andrew Dalhouse, the following new issue #1’s will also be going back to print: SUPERMAN #1 (Peter J. Tomasi, Pat Gleason, Mick Gray, John Kalisz), BATMAN #1 (Tom King, David Finch, Matt Banning, Jordie Bellaire), GREEN LANTERNS #1 (Sam Humphries, Robson Rocha, Jay Leisten, Blond) and GREEN ARROW #1 (Benjamin Percy, Otto Schmidt).

Spinning out of Geoff Johns’ DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH #1, these titles continue this new universe of storytelling featuring the most iconic characters in comics and the best writers and artists in the business. More titles are scheduled to debut now through October, with many of them appearing on shelves twice monthly, so fans will continue to get more of the excitement and action that’s made DC a fan-favorite for more than 80 years.

Each second printing will feature the comic’s original cover art but will replace the blue curtain image with recolored REBIRTH banners at the top. These issues will arrive in comic retail stores July 13 at the original $2.99 cover price.

Hypo 06-16-2016 11:40 PM

Hypo 06-18-2016 12:03 AM

Quote:

DC Comics giving musician and writer Gerard Way his own imprint was one of the comics industry’s most surprising announcements this year, and the formation of Young Animal represents an exciting new phase for the publisher. Dedicated to reviving the stranger properties at DC Comics, Young Animal definitely has an early Vertigo influence in its initial lineup, which includes new versions of former Vertigo titles like Doom Patrol and Shade The Changing Man (which is now Shade The Changing Girl). The imprint debuts with the launch of Doom Patrol in September, and The A.V. Club has a first look at art from the new series written by Way with art by Nick Derington and colorist Tamra Bonvillain.

“DC’s Young Animal is first and foremost about the art of making comics: the teams and the collaboration and the desire of creators to do new and experimental things,” says Way. “It is a place for wild ideas, and these ideas become Comics for Dangerous Humans—those who seek an alternative to what is largely happening in mainstream comics and the media. We do this with honor to the past, while facing the future in a fearless way. I hope you check out these books—they are doing something different, they are forming something new. We are extracting the oddballs from the DC Universe and zapping them with invigorating life.”

Doom Patrol is the first oddball to get a Young Animal revamp, and it’s one that Way has a strong personal attachment to. “I grew up reading Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol and other books that paved the way for the Vertigo imprint,” says Way. “Stories that starred misfit characters from the DC Universe and people living on the fringes of society.” This new series reimagines established Doom Patrol characters like Robotman, Negative Man, Flex Mentallo, and Crazy Jane, but also introduces new figures like Casey Brinke, the EMT featured in these preview pages. Casey is the reader surrogate in Way’s story, and her intersection with the Doom Patrol sends her on a bizarre journey that forces her to come to terms with her own peculiar past.

“Telling great stories via words and pictures is the ultimate form of self-expression,” says Way. “I can’t think of a better place to tell the stories that represent the alternative zeitgeist than DC’s Young Animal.” Readers can tap into the alt-zeitgeist when Doom Patrol #1 debuts on September 14, but in the meanwhile, here is solicitation info and some preview images to whet readers’ appetites, including the cover for the first issue, the cover art for Diamond’s Previews catalog (the first time DC has commissioned new art for Previews), and two pages of interior art. The main cover is actually a sticker that reveals another image when the gyro is lifted, and as silly as the gimmick is, it establishes that Young Animal is taking a different approach to monthly comics.
Quote:

DOOM PATROL #1
Written by GERARD WAY
Art and cover by NICK DERINGTON
Variant cover by BRIAN BOLLAND
Variant cover by SANFORD GREENE
Variant cover by JAIME HERNANDEZ
Variant cover by BRIAN CHIPPENDALE
Variant cover by BABS TARR
Retailers: This issue will ship with six covers. Please see the order form for details.
On sale SEPTEMBER 14 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

The atoms are buzzing. The daydreams crowd sentient streets, and the creative team has been warned, “Turn back now or suffer the mighty consequence of sheer, psycho-maniacal mayhem.” Generation-arsonists unite—this is DOOM PATROL, and the God of the Super Heroes is bleeding on the floor.

A blenderized reimagining of the ultimate series of the strange, DOOM PATROL combines elements from classic runs, new directions, and things that could not be. Our entry point is Casey Brinke, a young EMT on the graveyard shift to abstract enlightenment, with a past so odd that she’s not entirely sure what is real and what is not. Along with her partner, Sam Reynolds, the pair blaze a path through the city and its denizens, finding the only quiet that exists at 3am is the chaos of the brain. When the pair answer a hit-and-run call, they find themselves face to face with a familiar figure: Cliff Steele, AKA Robotman.

“It gets weirder from here,” writer Gerard Way had to say about the book, with artist Nick Derington gripping tightly on the wheel of the ambulance. The pair’s only communication? Shouting out of the open windows while at high velocity. Who needs a new roommate? Who names a cat “Lotion”? And when do we get to see all those muscles?

Find your answers inside the pages of this comic book, as we set the stage for new beginnings, as well as the re-introduction of some classic DOOM PATROL characters, including Niles Caulder, Negative Man, Flex Mentallo, and Crazy Jane.

The debut title of DC’s Young Animal line kicks off with a removable sticker on its cover: Pull back the gyro to reveal its secrets, but be warned—there is no turning back.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-18-2016 02:07 AM

SIX GODDAMN COVERS?!?!? SERIOUSLY DC?!?!?

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-18-2016 02:22 AM

I read up on the writer and he's apparently big into the whole transgender fad and considers himself transgender. This sounds like it's going to end up more Rachael Pollack than Grant Morrison. I've pretty much heard enough. Paying someone to mimic Morrison's run will just end up in disaster like Pollack's run did.

Space Cop 06-18-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I (Post 928973)
SIX GODDAMN COVERS?!?!? SERIOUSLY DC?!?!?

Is Chippendale even a real artist or is that someone using a fake name to avoid double credit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I (Post 928974)
I read up on the writer and he's apparently big into the whole transgender fad and considers himself transgender. This sounds like it's going to end up more Rachael Pollack than Grant Morrison. I've pretty much heard enough. Paying someone to mimic Morrison's run will just end up in disaster like Pollack's run did.

Yeah, I think I'll pass. I've never been a big fan of DP anyway and this doesn't look like the book to change my mind.

Hypo 06-18-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Ed (Post 927667)
I'm feeling a little put out that DC may well have deliberately run a shorter initial run on this so they could jack the price on all subsequent runs once hype had built (partly from its "sold out" status). I'm also more annoyed that my LCS didn't pull it for me in the first place (though if the quantities were limited, they may not have GOTTEN enough copies to pull one for me).

Is anybody really demanding the fancier binding that supposedly accounts for this higher price? I doubt it.

Well considering the book 200k+ on the first printing it looks like quantities weren't limited, you just had bad luck unfortunately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvelous Iggy (Post 928263)
not a fan of this art, won't read Green Arrow due to this.

Booo, but they are rotating artists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 928601)
Titans: Rebirth #1 Preview
Writer: Dan Abnett
Artist: Brett Booth

http://i.imgur.com/lcgXA2u.png

This was a decent issue #0, I suppose kind of a DC Universe: Rebirth #1 2.5. I'll be reading the book since but I do wish they had paired a better colorist with Booth or just put a better artist on the book period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chosen
I don't know what's gotten into Ben Percy, but Green Arrow is my book of the week!

Percy's wordiness is still his biggest weakness as a writer, there were definitely times in the book where I thought the dialogue just came off as plain awkward. Plus I'm not super enthused with the direction of the plot as we just had something similar in Lemire's run on the title. That being said I'm very much enjoying seeing Black Canary and Green Arrow together so I'm still enjoying the book.

3.5/5.

On a related note Green Arrow: Rebirth #1 reportedly sold 90k+.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I (Post 928974)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Cop (Post 928983)
Yeah, I think I'll pass. I've never been a big fan of DP anyway and this doesn't look like the book to change my mind.

I'm still excited, The Umbrella Academy was a great book.