The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Lantern on the Screen (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Continuing fallout from the Green Lantern movie disaster (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23815)

Trey Strain 03-16-2015 09:52 PM

Continuing fallout from the Green Lantern movie disaster

I read the other day that Ryan Reynolds' career has taken a hit from the movie's flop. He was miscast in the role but did a lot better than I had expected him to. And this is what he gets for it.

CeltiC5-27 03-19-2015 02:05 AM

Has his career really taken a hit? He had 2 movies come out last year and he has 4 movies releasing this year. Not to mention his Deadpool that he's been trying to get made for years is finally coming out in 2016. Seems like he's doing just fine to me.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 03-19-2015 04:08 AM

I don't think he's starving. Let's not start the benefit fund just yet.

Trey Strain 03-19-2015 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos (Post 889310)
I don't think he's starving. Let's not start the benefit fund just yet.

If he never works again, his great-grandchildren won't miss any meals. But I think he wasn't the main guy who was responsible for that movie. You know?

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 03-19-2015 04:36 AM

I don't blame any of the film's problems on Reynolds.

Trey Strain 03-19-2015 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos (Post 889315)
I don't blame any of the film's problems on Reynolds.

I don't either.

Space Cop 03-19-2015 01:16 PM

I don't know what the article was specifically, but I doubt they mean his career is totally dead, just that he's less marketable than he should be.

Trey Strain 03-19-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Cop (Post 889336)
I don't know what the article was specifically, but I doubt they mean his career is totally dead, just that he's less marketable than he should be.

Yes, that's what it said.

But anyway I'm wondering why nobody at DC Comics took a hit because of that movie.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 03-19-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spy Smasher (Post 889353)
Yes, that's what it said.

But anyway I'm wondering why nobody at DC Comics took a hit because of that movie.

Because they're in the comic making business, not the movie making business. DC didn't force anybody at WB to make the GL movie terrible. They did that all on their own. A lot of the problems are with editing, the structure of the movie and the antagonists. Not the mythology.

Trey Strain 03-19-2015 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos (Post 889358)
Because they're in the comic making business, not the movie making business. DC didn't force anybody at WB to make the GL movie terrible. They did that all on their own. A lot of the problems are with editing, the structure of the movie and the antagonists. Not the mythology.

Damn, I keep giving you and Andrew a hint, but it's going right over your heads...

Rotten2thecorps 03-19-2015 04:22 PM

When Considered against the other people in the running for Hal Ryan was clearly the best choice. I am sure now they wish they would have gone with Bradley Cooper,but no one could guess that he would go on to do Ameriacn Sniper.

I don't think he is losing any roles over this though. Well maybe Highlander but it sounds like they really don't know what they want to do with that any ways.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 03-19-2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spy Smasher (Post 889372)
Damn, I keep giving you and Andrew a hint, but it's going right over your heads...

Are you beating around the bush to a Geoff Johns thing?

Trey Strain 03-19-2015 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos (Post 889412)
Are you beating around the bush to a Geoff Johns thing?

Huh-huh-huh! You said bush!

Rotten2thecorps 03-19-2015 07:06 PM

I liked the movie but I can't get past how much Hector looks like Rocky in Mask. I mean it really sucks me out of the movie.

Sylent_Asassin 03-19-2015 07:47 PM

Most people that actually liked the movie knew nothing or very little about GL going in.

I really doubt RR's career took a significant hit. At the end of the day, he's still a good-looking guy that's extremely marketable. GL fans and comic fans in general probably make up less than 1% of movie goers, so RR won't be in the welfare line anytime soon.

UltimateFighter 03-19-2015 10:06 PM

Not sure Ryan Reynolds was miscast as Green Lantern but more misplayed him. Made GL almost a comedian vs more of a bad ass! They rebooted and started Superman over, hopefully that's that do that too for GL.

CeltiC5-27 03-20-2015 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin (Post 889456)
Most people that actually liked the movie knew nothing or very little about GL going in.

Not true. I know lots of big GL fans, like myself, that came out of the movie actually really liking it. Now that it's been years later and I've watched it like 100 times, I don't feel the same way anymore but I still do enjoy the film.

Sylent_Asassin 03-20-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 (Post 889492)
Not true. I know lots of big GL fans, like myself, that came out of the movie actually really liking it. Now that it's been years later and I've watched it like 100 times, I don't feel the same way anymore but I still do enjoy the film.

Oddly enough, I don't know anyone that was a big GL fan that really liked the movie, and a large percentage of the users on this board feel the same way.

After I purchased the movie on DVD, I couldn't even get through the whole thing.

Lantern A-train 03-20-2015 03:41 PM

I've said before that I don't completely hate it. Was is the best movie? No. Was it the worst film DC has done? Certainly not. I own it on DVD but haven't touched it, mostly because it was constantly on on some cable channel or another. I still like them film for the most part.

Darth_Primus 03-20-2015 03:57 PM

I bought the blu ray because I want to have the film disappoint me in the highest quality possible.

I don't think Ryan Reynolds' career took a hit from this movie as he wasn't a huge star before this movie. He was pretty much type cast as a romantic comedy lead. Green Lantern was his opportunity to make it to the next level of celebrity. He's working on Deadpool now and he's more of a fit for that role.

Space Cop 03-20-2015 04:27 PM

I got it on BD/DVD so I could watch it either way and lend it to people.

Like CeltiC, I've watched it many times since then (I have to assume over a dozen at this point).

When I'm in the mood for it, the good points (how the constructs look, Oa) outweigh the negative for me.

Rotten2thecorps 03-20-2015 04:40 PM

I still dig it. I want to watch it on a 3D TV. I got the steel super best buy edition. I wish I would have bought the Walmart power ring one though.

buffalorock 03-20-2015 08:48 PM

Got rid of the dvd so I could get the extended blu-ray. Did that make it any better for anyone?

Space Cop 03-20-2015 08:58 PM

It would've had they recut the bailout scene. But deciding to have the historical intro and then show those bits again in flashback was a bad, bad call.

Darth_Primus 03-20-2015 10:11 PM

I have the extended blu ray and I barely recall that scene with Hal's father bailing out. I do remember that I didn't care for the extended version of the film.