The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Comics (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The DC Comics Thread Vol. 3 (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24365)

W.West 09-01-2016 04:03 AM

3 of those characters should move on. Its starting to get a little embarrassing.

"Chosen" 09-01-2016 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.West (Post 933015)
3 of those characters should move on. Its starting to get a little embarrassing.

????

Booster Beetle 09-01-2016 05:26 AM

Starfire Beast Boy and Raven

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 09-01-2016 01:35 PM

Beast Boy just can't grow up!

Space Cop 09-01-2016 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I (Post 933020)
Beast Boy just can't grow up!

Then he'd be Beast Man.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Beast_Man.jpg

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 09-01-2016 02:34 PM

Exactly!

Hypo 09-01-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

The success of DC Entertainment‘s Rebirth event this summer surprised even publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee.

“I think we were all caught completely off-guard,” DiDio said in a recent telephone interview. “Pleasantly off-guard,” Lee interjected.

The event, which kicked off in May with a special issue written by DC creative chief Geoff Johns, has sold better than the company’s previous re-launch, 2011′s New 52. In July, Rebirth titles helped propel DC past rival Marvel Comics in sales and market share, according to Diamond Comic Distributors. DC said Wednesday that it shipped 12 million Rebirth comic books over the summer.

“We were able to take a lot of the success we had with New 52,” DiDio said, “and then bring back some of the fans who might have felt a little disenfranchised from some of the choices that were made in the New 52 launch.”

The initiative has rejuvenated titles such as “Green Arrow,” whose second issue since Rebirth started actually outsold the first issue. “I can count on two fingers how many times that’s happened in my entire career working on comics,” Lee said.

Likewise, the first post-Rebirth issue of “Harley Quinn,” featuring the character portrayed by Margot Robbie in this summer’s “Suicide Squad” movie, sold in excess of 400,000 copies, more than any other DC title, even the perennially popular “Batman.”

A slowdown in the sales rate is inevitable, particularly as the novelty of Rebirth wears off, so DC is looking to maintain excitement — and sales — with quarterly events. The first big one starts in December: “Justice League vs. Suicide Squad.” Exclusive art from Jason Fabok debuts on Speakeasy today.

While the comic book stories aren’t related to what’s going on in the movie side of the business, it’s certainly notable that “Justice League vs. Suicide Squad” comes after the August release of the “Suicide Squad” movie and ahead of next November’s “Justice League” film.

The core of the comic-book event — which pits Batman and Superman’s superhero team against the covert team of supervillains working for ruthless government operative Amanda Waller — will transpire over six issues, two in December, four in January. It will also tie into “Suicide Squad” #9 and #10 and issues #12 and #13 of “Justice League” during January. “This is something DC had been talking about for a while, even before I came on,” said writer Joshua Williamson (“The Flash”).

The story will revolve around Batman questioning the need for Waller’s Task Force X in a world where the Justice League already exists. “He decides to put a stop to it,” Williamson said.

But the story can’t be totally focused on Batman and Waller, since both teams are full of popular characters, such as Harley Quinn, who possess broad, colorful personalities. Williamson said he discussed this challenge with Johns, who had helped plan out a two-year plan for the entire Rebirth initiative. So they boiled it down to certain characters they wanted to explore, also including preternaturally gifted hitman Deadshot.

“That’s been one of the biggest challenges, easily: trying to make sure every character has a moment, but isn’t forced,” the writer said.

Williamson said much of the story would also focus on the character Killer Frost, a new addition to the Suicide Squad. “We’re going to be doing a lot with her and her point of view in the event.”

The miniseries will explore themes like redemption and corruption, and the two teams will also find a common foe against whom they must unite.

“Do you believe in second chances? I think that’s a big part of what Rebirth has been about,” Williamson said.

“Justice League vs. Suicide Squad” won’t occur in a vacuum, and there will be ramifications. Other titles, such as the return of “Justice League of America” in February, will spin out of the event.

Ωmega Man 09-01-2016 02:58 PM

Nope, sorry guys. When BB grows up he's becoming the next Animal Man... or am I the only one who LOVED the Titans Tomorrow arc of GJ's Teen Titans?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...9673-19815.jpg

I agree though. Starfire and Raven both could potentially hold down a solo title if DC reeeeeally wanted to push more female leads in comics. And Beast Boy should at least be in his early twenties even with the altered timeline. By all means, if Buddy Baker isn't getting any love go ahead and let Gar call himself Animal Man and move up to League status like Roy, Grayson, Tempest, Donna, and Wally all have.

~M~

EmeraldGladiator 09-01-2016 05:56 PM

Why tell me why

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booster Beetle (Post 933018)
Starfire Beast Boy and Raven

DC keeps doing these half measures, the Wolfman/Perez run on Teen Titans was one of DC's greatest/most respected runs ever but they refuse to make it cannon or bring it back. Which is hilarious because of DC and John's love for going retro to the core purest version of characters. Is it just because of that silly kids cartoon? I mean DC goes through the trouble to bring original Wally back (even though they had a new one) BUT in the Titans book they refuse to give us the real Titans. If you are going to do it then go all the way. Stopping at 2nd base is nothing but a dick tease. When you are thinking it might go all the way you are enjoying it but once you realize that you are getting thrown out trying to get to third base you realize that you would prefer that you were never bothered with at all in the first place.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 09-01-2016 07:59 PM

Yeah I was all excited for Wally to come back, but seeing it in the context of how the new continuity for the Titans is, it kind of kills that excitement.

Agent Purple 09-01-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -M- (Post 933032)
or am I the only one who LOVED the Titans Tomorrow arc of GJ's Teen Titans?

I actually really enjoyed that run, including that specific arc (that, and Titans East, with Slade forming his own team of murderous brats).

Hypo 09-01-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 933031)

Looks like Fabok will only be doing the first issue:

http://i.imgur.com/ZofBwkT.png

http://i.imgur.com/GYEWfse.png

Hypo 09-02-2016 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -M- (Post 933032)
Starfire and Raven both could potentially hold down a solo title if DC reeeeeally wanted to push more female leads in comics.

Raven is getting a mini.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 933070)
Looks like Fabok will only be doing the first issue

JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD: DC ANNOUNCES FIRST EVENT OF THE REBIRTH ERA
Quote:

The answer arrives this December, as DC announces its first major event of Rebirth: the Justice League facing off against the Suicide Squad. This two-month event will pit DC’s two greatest super-teams against each other in a six-issue weekly miniseries, beginning with a special prelude in the pages of SUICIDE SQUAD #8, and with issues of SUICIDE SQUAD (#9 and #10) and JUSTICE LEAGUE (#12 and #13) serving as tie-ins during January.

The prelude issue sets the stage for issues #1 and #2 of JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD, written by Joshua Williamson (THE FLASH, Vertigo’s FROSTBITE) with art by Jason Fabok (JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR) and Tony S. Daniel (JUSTICE LEAGUE, DEATHSTROKE). Issues #3 through #6 debut weekly throughout January, along with the special tie-in issues of SUICIDE SQUAD written by Rob Williams and JUSTICE LEAGUE by guest writer Tim Seeley (NIGHTWING, GRAYSON).
In other news:

Agent Purple 09-02-2016 12:25 AM

Speaking of the Justice League, I want to pick up the full story of Hitch's JLA, with the League fighting Rao, but I'm at the same time not entirely sure if I want to.

I fell far behind in comics-reading a while ago and am still catching up, and I can't recall if the solicit for it was cancelled. I didn't even grab yesterday's issue because it was the last copy in the store.

I don't expect a brilliant story, but when I read the first, maybe first two parts, I found it likeable enough, and the art was very solid.

Hypo 09-02-2016 12:35 AM

I don't recall seeing a solicit for the trade but issue #10 will conclude the Rao story...whenever it comes out. Hasn't been cancelled yet but it has been delayed a couple of times now.

Agent Purple 09-02-2016 12:47 AM

Hmm, I could have sworn I saw a solicit for at least part of the story being advertised, but either way, I have a while before I need to make the decision. Thanks.

Hypo 09-02-2016 01:08 AM

You are correct sir, Amazon has the book slated for May 2017.

Space Cop 09-02-2016 04:56 PM

It's hard to believe a guy this awesome is so free-form; not just in his style of composition, but in his schedule, materials, starting point, etc. Educational for me.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearless (Post 932754)
...They've got Ostrander writing a Suicide Squad one-shot? I didn't even know he still wrote anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I (Post 932776)
And I have to pick that up...

This issue had a James Brown reference! Harley alludes to "I don't know karate, but I know kra-zay" from "The Payback" (also references in X-Men DoFP). She says something about another character knowing martial arts but she knows crazy.

Anyway, good issue. Starts out wordy, but got very action-packed. I liked it.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Hypo 09-02-2016 08:00 PM

The JLA book slated for February will be written by Steve Orlando.

Hypo 09-06-2016 01:13 AM

Bleeding Cool: The Rumoured Return Of The Legion Of Super-Heroes…
Quote:

The DC Universe Rebirth #1 comic by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank featured what appeared to be the return of the Legion Of Super-Heroes characters – or one of them at least.

At Baltimore, during the DC Rebirth panel, we were told that when Legion of Super-Heroes would return, one of the writers on the panel could be writing it.

That’s a choice of Dan DiDio, Tom King, Hope Larson, James Tynion IV, Paul Levitz, Keith Giffen, Dan Jurgens and Yannick Paquette.

Paul Levitz has of course lived and breathed Legion his life. Keith Giffen, half his life. But there’s also rumours of Tom King stepping up – who used a Legion character in his original Omega Men pitch.

But to add to all this is the new rumour we’ve been hearing that Jim Lee has itchy feet, is late on Suicide Squad and might be well up for launching a new Legion Of Super-Heroes.

Ωmega Man 09-06-2016 01:43 AM

Tom King might be an interesting choice, everybody else is kinda 'Eeeeeh' and I didn't even know YP wrote comics but I'd kill to see him pencil the LoSH.

My only fear is this will just wind up being another throwback with Levitz writing or God forbid Didio. To date TIV hasn't really done anything that impressive either so I doubt he'd be much better IMHO. Jurgens hasn't really done anything writing wise that's been that great usually coming into books on their way to cancellation. We need something different though, not by the numbers rehashings of old Legion stories.

How could the universe changing have effected the Legion? Did THEY also lose years of their lives and pasts? That's what I wanna know. And even if the creative team isn't something I wanted I'll check it out for a few issues [same as a more classic JSA] just to show support for a title I've missed now for way too long. I wouldn't mind seeing a spin off title featuring one of the more popular characters either like Ultra Boy or Starman.

~M~

Hypo 09-06-2016 02:05 AM

Unless Tynion signs an exclusive contract with DC soon I'd bet King will get the book. DC is lining up their recent exclusives with high profile books (Williamson, JL vs SS & Orlando, JLA) and Vision and Sheriff of Babylon are ending soon so King will be freed up a bit.

Ωmega Man 09-06-2016 02:20 AM

And I'd love to know more about the Legion character King was planning on using in Omega Men. More than likely the Legion of the modern era would've had a character on the team [Capt. Comet, Lobo, or Brainiac II], but not the actual Legion of Superheroes from the future.

~M~

Hypo 09-09-2016 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypo (Post 930792)

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.West (Post 931179)
Joelle Jones is good artist, I just don't have a clue where I'd put her. Maybe on Teen Titans or Red Hood? Who's the artist on Nightwing? She'd be a nice fit there too.

Fearless 09-09-2016 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.West (Post 931179)
Joelle Jones is good artist, I just don't have a clue where I'd put her. Maybe on Teen Titans or Red Hood? Who's the artist on Nightwing? She'd be a nice fit there too.

That'll do, DC. That'll do.