The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

The Green Lantern Corps Message Board (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Larfleeze (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Larfleeze #1 *Preview/Spoilers* (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22319)

Mister.Weirdo 06-25-2013 11:53 PM

Larfleeze #1 *Preview/Spoilers*

Includes an interview with the creators (Keith Giffen and Scott Kolins).

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2013/06/2...0bf51_610w.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...-the-spotlight

Interesting stuff, based off the previews and what's been said, this book will obviously have nothing to do with the other Lantern titles. Looks kinda funny too.

VeesFistOfDeath 06-26-2013 04:08 AM

I wonder how much GJ had say in those origin parts of the issue. I liked it aside from Lar's butler looking like Jafar from Aladian.

Trigger 06-26-2013 09:07 AM

I'm surprised they put in an origin at all. I thought the mystery was kind of part of the character before.

Booster Beetle 06-26-2013 04:59 PM

This issue was great 5 stars

SD80MAC 06-26-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeesFistOfDeath (Post 791735)
I wonder how much GJ had say in those origin parts of the issue.

Not much, considering they're heavily laden with contradictions and mistakes.

Mister Ed 06-26-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD80MAC (Post 791961)
Not much, considering they're heavily laden with contradictions and mistakes.

Because as we all know, Geoff Johns never contradicts anything. ;)

I don't like the origin, mainly because it just serves to reinforce Larfleeze as a 100% comic character, but that's an understandable choice given the nature of this series.

I had kind of hoped that any revelation of his family, and history, would have served to sort of "humanize" him, showing that he was not ALWAYS the comic buffoon we see now. Not so, apparently.

SD80MAC 06-26-2013 08:10 PM

True. But this origin is completely different than the one we were given piecemeal. Names, places...everything's wrong, except for him ending up with the battery.

Mister Ed 06-26-2013 08:31 PM

I would chalk it up to Larfleeze being the one telling the tale, since he's not exactly trustworthy, except that it is clear, from the discrepancies between his words and what's shown in the panels, that the intent is that what we are seeing in those panels is the REAL story.

SD80MAC 06-26-2013 08:46 PM

Not just that, both the words AND the panels are vastly different than what's been revealed before.

Mister Ed 06-26-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD80MAC (Post 791977)
Not just that, both the words AND the panels are vastly different than what's been revealed before.

Yes. Which I wouldn't think was an issue if I could just chalk it up to Larfleeze being a liar, but the way it is presented doesn't really allow for that explanation. Ah well.

TorchBearer2814 06-26-2013 11:40 PM

i really didnt like how this was written. The art was meh.. I think if anything ill pick up the trade when it comes out but the first issue is it for me with this series. Red lanterns on the other hand seems to be looking up.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-27-2013 05:03 AM

2 stars. Which was one star better than I assumed it was going to be, and still better than Red Lanterns. Not good enough for me to want it to stay around. It doesn't matter; Larfleeze already has the stink of cancellation all over it, it'll be a matter of months before the book gets the axe.

Mister.Weirdo 06-27-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave (Post 792082)
2 stars. Which was one star better than I assumed it was going to be, and still better than Red Lanterns. Not good enough for me to want it to stay around. It doesn't matter; Larfleeze already has the stink of cancellation all over it, it'll be a matter of months before the book gets the axe.

:rollseyes:

Iím sure you said the same thing about Red Lanterns.

Big Daddy Dave Skywalker 06-27-2013 05:55 AM

I did and Red Lanterns keeps mocking my predictions by it's continued existence. Every month is like a middle finger at me from that wretched book!

Mister.Weirdo 06-27-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave (Post 792092)
I did and Red Lanterns keeps mocking my predictions by it's continued existence. Every month is like a middle finger at me from that wretched book!

Can't win em all I guess.

Trigger 06-27-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave (Post 792092)

Maybe you should start using Blood Magic for your predictions.

Space Cop 06-27-2013 01:39 PM

What to say? It was neither as bad as I thought it might be nor all that good. I have to agree that seeing Larfleeze's origin is kind of a shame. All the mystery is gone (we even know his species now). However, that bit wasn't done badly. I particularly liked him actually finding the battery.

jhpace1 06-29-2013 10:54 AM

Terrible book. Larfleeze's origin? It's only been hinted at 3 or 5 times in the other GL books. His narrator's guess that Larfleeze is somehow powering his ring himself? Lame.

There needs to be a huge retcon of Sayd's death and Larfleeze destroying his own stuff, including the Orange Power Battery, with some coordinated storytelling between this and the main GL title or else this is going to become all a dream by Larfleeze in the last comic published.

Deadpool 06-29-2013 12:59 PM

Well from peoples reviews on it, I'm very glad I've not bought it.

From the looks of it, Larfleeze will probably be the closest thing DC has to Deadpool.

Booster Beetle 06-29-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadpool (Post 792639)
Well from peoples reviews on it, I'm very glad I've not bought it.

From the looks of it, Larfleeze will probably be the closest thing DC has to Deadpool.

Tee hee glad Im not the only one who thinks so

Deadpool 06-29-2013 05:25 PM

lol

Big Blue Lantern 06-30-2013 12:43 PM

Eh..I'm going to let this develop over the next couple of years before buying any of it. I *might* pick up a variant cover if I see one for a great price, but that's it.

SD80MAC 07-01-2013 02:19 PM

Review. It's poop. http://indigotribe.wordpress.com/201...1/larfleeze-1/

Space Cop 07-01-2013 03:22 PM

^I forgot about Ogatoo (though I had a vague, subconscious feeling the name was retconned). I definitely thought about the inconsistency of his family life. When last we heard about them, Larfleeze was pleased that his beloved family might be alive and they strongly implied that his separation from his loving relatives was what drove him to be so despicable. Now, we find out he never had that.

Jon Q. Citizen 07-01-2013 07:53 PM

I was impressed! Didn't think it would be as good as it was....though I do wonder how many issues they can realistically get from Larfleeze. Then again, Red Lanterns has proved sceptics wrong, so maybe this title will do well also.