Xbox One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox One

Figured we might as well just start a thread on it.

I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Microsoft confirms 'pre-owned fee' for Xbox One

Mandatory game installation required for all games; second install on separate Live account sits behind paywall

Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid.

Individual games will be tied to Xbox Live accounts, Microsoft said, meaning that the software giant can detect whether a game has been sold to a retailer and repurchased, or handed from one friend to another. In such instances, the second user must pay a fee.

"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play," a Microsoft representative told Wired.

The company added that, once discs are installed on the hard drive, games can be played without a disc being in the tray.

The Wired article then elaborates: "What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner."

It added: "Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

Microsoft did not disclose what the second-user fee would amount too, and did not clarify further on the matter.

The article claims that there is no sweeping 'always-online' requirement for future Xbox One games
    I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by fearless2814.1 View Post
      Xbox One = No backwards compatibility

Fearless
      Agent Orange
      Last edited by Fearless; 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM.

Comment

No shock there at all.

Comment

Xbox One Will Not Function Without Kinect Attached
          Xbox's UK marketing director has said that without Kinect connected, Xbox One will not function.

After a Microsoft-hosted London event around the Xbox One reveal, Xbox's UK marketing director Harvey Eagle has said that the console will not function without Kinect connected.

"Kinect does require to be connected to Xbox One in all cases, yes," he said. Asked whether the Xbox One will accommodate people who perhaps play in their bedroom rather than their living room, Eagle replied: "Yes, absolutely. We use the living room almost as a moniker - that's where we assume the best screen is in the house. But if you like to play in any other room in the house, the Xbox One will deliver the same quality of experience whatever the environment."

As anyone who's ever tried to play with Kinect in an enclosed area knows, the current technology simply doesn't support it - which means that Xbox One's new Kinect sensor must be significantly different if it will work in any room in the house.

Comment

Goddamnit Microsoft, why you have to destroy everyone's buzz with the one disc to one console bullshit (unless you pay a fee)? It's just getting more retarded as the money grubbing non-sense continues.

Can you imagine in the SNES days if you couldn't take your copy of Mortal Kombat over to a buddy's house to play it? Without asking for your parent's credit card info. That's exactly the same concept here.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

you guys act like you have friends that:

a) you still go to their houses and play video games

b) dont already own the same games you have.

Comment

^^ Pretty much.

Comment

That's actually the case for many of my friends. And it's representative of the money grubbing. I can't award that kind of behavior. DLC already on a disc, only allowing a disc THAT A PERSON OWNS AND PAID FOR to be played on a single console; the shit needs to stop.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post

a) I do, and quite frequently.
                    b) they don't, at least not all. very few I might add.

Comment

This console is gonna be shit, Im definitely getting the PS4

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post

I will concede point B, but point A is moot, at least for me. I don't do online play. Can't stand it. So, yeah, I hang out with my friends in order to play with them.

Comment

Funny enough I'm usually the guy people would have to bring the games to. I'm just curious what the charge is. It can't be the full cost of the game and they say that after the fee is paid that person you lent it to will have it saved to their HDD so they can play it without the disc. Does this mean they now have the full game at a cheaper price and if so whats to stop people from splitting the cost of the game and then loading it onto two Xboxes. They did say that once it is installed you wouldn't need the disc anymore to play.

Comment

It's funny how Steam somehow manages to allow me to go to pretty much anybody's house and play the games I own for no fee whatsoever, but somehow Microsoft can't figure out how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
                              Funny enough I'm usually the guy people would have to bring the games to. I'm just curious what the charge is. It can't be the full cost of the game and they say that after the fee is paid that person you lent it to will have it saved to their HDD so they can play it without the disc. Does this mean they now have the full game at a cheaper price and if so whats to stop people from splitting the cost of the game and then loading it onto two Xboxes. They did say that once it is installed you wouldn't need the disc anymore to play.
                              Which says to me that the "fee" could very well be the full cost of the game, or near enough that they make roughly the same profit.

Why would they make the "fee" substantially less than the full cost? They WANT to kill all reselling of games. This obviously will kill rentals, since rentals are made functionally the same as purchasing the game.
                              Mister Ed
                              Horse of a Different Color
                              Last edited by Mister Ed; 05-21-2013, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X