Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gamer Thread Vol. 5 (General Gaming News & Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reached level cap on Division 2 open beta. You can only get to level 8, and any progress, including commendations, is reset when the full game releases so that everyone starts on a level field. I haven't done the "endgame" with the level 30 presets yet, since I want to do the DZ East mission and get the crate trinket.

One thing I absolutely love is that the FAMAS is back, and is a regular gun. One of my biggest D1 wishes granted.

The armor/health rework is fine, and the time-to-kill on enemy NPCs is acceptable. I'm liking the not-snow-drenched DC area, and I like the Rioters' replacement faction, the Hyenas. The True Sons are a decent enemy, and AI has improved (the enemies love to flank, and those exploding RC cars are back). Liberating various areas and bringing control points onto your side makes things feel a bit like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood from my 360 days.

I guess you can't pick up ANY clothing in the open beta, just what the randomized characters wear from the start. That's fine.

I got stuck twice and barely managed to escape both times, the game resetting my position into bad spots again and again. Pretty rare though.

Bosses are not bullet sponges, breaking their armor to directly damage health isn't difficult. They seem to be susceptible to status effects now, whereas they outright ignored them in D1.

I won't be able to afford Division 2 upon release, and I want to see the reviews before I commit fully, but if things in the proper game are at least this good, I'll be getting it sooner than later.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Completed the DZ East mission, place was almost totally empty except for mission-required enemies, but suitably creepy all the same. Extraction time was significantly reduced, I suppose to compensate for the smaller area sizes.

I found a single shirt. Hooray.

Fuck the goddamn robot "warhounds" the Black Tusk faction uses. Those things are a fucking load.

Black Tusk also spams drones like there's no tomorrow.

The "Invaded" mission is going to be a bitch to complete.

edit -- managed to complete it, boss fight was a lot more annoying than before. But now I have all the unlocks from the open beta, so now all I need is for the full game to be worth buying so I can use those and the shield/app rewards I got from Division 1 and then I'm good.
      Agent Purple
      The Illustrated Man
      Last edited by Agent Purple; 03-03-2019, 02:54 AM. Reason: pew pew pew

Comment

• Went into DZ East again, this time to actually explore it and see the new landmarks. I'm liking them so far, and we get these sledgehammer-wielding heavy bosses that resemble the juggernauts from Modern Warfare 2 (or 3, whichever). Also ran into a couple random groups of players, briefly worked together to clear a couple areas.

Manhunt happened right before I entered, missed it, but I made a point of avoiding areas with rogue icons popping up.

I did, however, actually loot locked containers and hack terminals, actively working towards getting access to the new Thieves' Den area. It was exciting being rogue without being a murderous prick, and eventually I got into the special room (which is bare bones for now and requires special perks to utilize more), which cleared my rogue status. I think this new level of gameplay will greatly increase the amount of time I'll be spending in the DZ in general.

Comment

• JMM: Fighting Cyberdemon with only fists

In all honesty, I would have thought that the damage would have a clearer calculation, but I suppose it never really got in the way anyhow. And once again Mike ends up claiming a trophy for his gamer cred gallery.

Comment

• So Ubisoft/Massive activated the rewards for playing in the betas/etc, but apparently all kinds of weird shenanigans are happening: people are able to access some but not all rewards despite completing the requirements, to the point where they can't even see some rewards at all (this includes me, because I can't access a weapon skin, and can't see two of the rewards I do want).

Hopefully the problems get sorted out soon, because I really want the DZ loot crate trinket, and not being able to get it is disheartening at best.

Comment

• Well, I finally managed to figure out which pinhole to insert the paperclip into, and can now open my stubborn disc tray on my old 360. I doubt forcing it open this one time will really fix the issue, which is probably something like a worn-out gear somewhere inside, but it should help. Dunno if I want to try it while it's on, but I'll watch a few videos tonight so that I can get a better idea of my options. I've also thought about getting a newer model off eBay, but not right now, and I still want to transfer my data to a 120gb HDD at some point.

Also, since I need to clear a TON of space on my PS4's HDD for Division 2 (at least 100gb), then I thought I'd get back to playing Doom. Yeah, I just now finished downloading an update, and I'm sitting at a whopping 78.89gb of space used by just this one game. I'm really going to need to grind through everything and get what I can and then keep the save data for later when I have a bigger/extra HDD, because I really want to play Division 2 but these massive game sizes are killing me (and I've still got several other games I want to play on my PS4, like AC Unity).

Comment

• You know, I love Doom (2016) and all, but holy shit, at least Doom 3 gave us a flashlight. New Doom has incredibly dark interiors, which I'm hoping is seriously addressed in Doom Eternal (from what I saw, it is).

Comment

• Decided to nab some of the trophies from the league challenge mode in Ninja Storm 4. I dislike how similar it is to the Ninja World Tournament and Survival modes, in that you don't regain health between rounds (but you do refill in each new match); to me that smacks of unnecessary carry-over and blurs the lines of separation between game modes.

Anyway, I completed the beginner and intermediate leagues, so all I have left are a load of matches in various "cups" before I can claim conquest of the advanced league. What I like is that the trophy unlocks on the champion's screen, meaning I get this great shot of whichever character I completed the final cup with (you can play them out of order, too!). This means I can plan ahead and figure out which character I want to get a winning picture of for the trophy unlock. I did it with a couple, though I came close to losing my matches because the AI suddenly decided to be as cheap as possible. Either way, I'm going to have to consider my options for the final cup because I would like to use a character I'm fond of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                    Angry Joe's review for Anthem

Guess I won't be getting that for at least six months, if not an entire year. Sucks, because the premise, aesthetic, and gameplay all looked great (I didn't play the beta).
                    Same strategy I used for Fallout 76; getting that in the mail today (for 20 bucks hell yeah). I will grab Anthem eventually, they just need to patch and balance it.

Nice to see another Dark Souls player, have you gotten into Bloodborne at all? That's my favorite. Sekiro is dropping soon as well, pre-ordered that.
                    http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Watched a walkthrough and lore video of Bloodborne, got all of H.P. Lovecraft's writings as a result of suddenly craving eldritch horror. But I can't afford it right now (both for money and for console HDD limit), same with Sekiro.

I also really, really want to get Division 2 first and play as much of that as I can stand before taking on another major project.

Comment

• JMM: Spider-Man (PS4)

I need to get back to this game and check out some of these locations. Alas, I need to get an external HDD and Division 2 first.

edit -- bought a 2tb external on eBay, now I have to wait for it to arrive, then format it so that my PS4 can use it as extended storage. That much extra space will take a huge weight off my in-console HDD.

Also, beat all of the Survival challenge modes in Ninja Storm 4. All that's left is for me to do the "Road to Boruto" expansion and earn the S-rank for the story missions both there and in the main game. Won't be easy because of how stringent the game is about rewarding that rank for certain fights.
                        Agent Purple
                        The Illustrated Man
                        Last edited by Agent Purple; 03-18-2019, 08:07 PM. Reason: Love Fighting Love, Cha!

Comment

• 1) My HDD shipped, hopefully here by next week.

2) Picked up Division 2, so that I can stare at it longingly until I can play it (bonus points for getting the last PS4 copy the store had).

3) videgamedunkey's review of Devil May Cry 5 is hilarious, with those behind-the-scenes visualization shots making me laugh pretty hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                            Watched a walkthrough and lore video of Bloodborne, got all of H.P. Lovecraft's writings as a result of suddenly craving eldritch horror. But I can't afford it right now (both for money and for console HDD limit), same with Sekiro.
                            It was free with Playstation Plus at one point.

Sekiro just downloaded today, game is super small I think it came in under 20 GB...can't wait to sink my teeth into that one...and scream at my screen ten minutes in haha.

Also I've been running around Fallout 76. Despite all the bad press I am actually having a lot of fun in that one.
                            http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Shang Tsung actor reprises role for Mortal Kombat 11

Comment

• I saw the drop trailer, which was from a con or something and the audience went nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X