No announcement yet.

Do you care about Baz and Jessica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^A lot of them have felt like decent two-part episodes--a fine diversion, but nothing I'd rush to get. However, I thought the Wonder Woman animated movie was excellent. That and JL: Final Frontier are the only non-GL ones I currently own, but I would like to get the Suicide Squad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
      ^A lot of them have felt like decent two-part episodes--a fine diversion, but nothing I'd rush to get. However, I thought the Wonder Woman animated movie was excellent. That and JL: Final Frontier are the only non-GL ones I currently own, but I would like to get the Suicide Squad ones.
      Concerning the Green Lantern ones, I thought First Flight was one of the okay ones. Not bad, but also not especially exciting, and Emerald Knights was just boring for me.
      ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
        Concerning the Green Lantern ones, I thought First Flight was one of the okay ones. Not bad, but also not especially exciting, and Emerald Knights was just boring for me.
        I thought FF was better than the live-action movie. As for EK, it's probably only mediocre objectively, but just having all those GLs in a cartoon is enough to keep me entertained (there was a long time I thought we'd never see an animated GL again, let alone a movie) and "Mogo Doesn't Socialize" came off well.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
          The great, GREAT majority of these cartoon movie things that DC has been doing for the last 10 or 11 years or however long have been very bland and unremarkable to me. They often range from blandly okay, like that early Wonder Woman one, to outright terrible, like Justice League War. The only ones that really impressed me were Under the Red Hood and the recent Death of Superman one. Though, I'll be fair, I haven't seen all of them, but that is due to them hardly ever really impressing me when I do see them. There were some on the better side of okay, though, like All-Star Superman and Crisis on Two Earths. Still, they were very far from knocking my socks off like the golden days of the DCAU did, with Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, and Justice League. This looks like one that I will probably skip unless I hear it is excellent, and I will be very surprised if it is.

As for Jessica Cruz... bleh. It seems DC is rather committed to her, which I feel is a mistake, but whatever.

I always thought the DCAU was a mixed bag, and that the current DC animated films are an upgrade. However, I was disappointed when John got no backstory in his appearance, so I hope JL vs the FF doesn't repeat that omission.
          Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
            I always thought the DCAU was a mixed bag, and that the current DC animated films are an upgrade. However, I was disappointed when John got no backstory in his appearance, so I hope JL vs the FF doesn't repeat that omission.
            Fair enough. As they say... different strokes, and all that.

As for John's appearance, I don't know why they bothered having him at all, since he was given no good reason for being there, they didn't do anything with him, and especially if they are swapping him out for Jessica so soon. From the description, it sounds like Jessica will be an important part of this film, and I get the feeling that whoever is back there at DC seems to like Jessica more than John Stewart anyway, or she at least seems to be more of a priority, so she will probably get better treatment.
            Star-Lantern
            Weaponer of Qward
            Last edited by Star-Lantern; 01-15-2019, 06:25 AM.
            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

I definitely care, it was a good book, but DC is going to do the hell what they want to do, so why bother.

Comment

Baz and Cruz sprang from two unfortunate sources.

First, the desire of Geoff Johns to get paid royalties and to permanently put his mark of the property.

And second, the desire of DC to signal its virtue by selling people what they thought people should buy -- which is a fundamental mistake for any business to make, let alone a business that has long passed its growth stage.

Comment

If it were my decision, I'd get rid of them. I can't remember if I said that above. Probably. I would actually scale things way back to Hal, John, and Guy.

Over the past couple days of taking a look at back issues, I realized something. Ever since Kyle Rayner came along, the Green Lantern story that existed before him from 1959 to 1994, was destroyed, and hasn't ever been able to come back. That's not a criticism of the Kyle Rayner character, but just a statement of my perspective. Those previous stories all acknowledged each other and built upon each other, and despite shifts in tone sometimes, they all seemed connected.

I know I've said something like this before, but now it's gotten to the point where Green Lantern doesn't really resemble itself to me, and hasn't for quite some time. Although, granted, I can't speak too much on the Grant Morrison stuff.

If someone handed me the reins of Green Lantern, I would act as though I was working from the continuity that existed before Emerald Twilight, with some adjustments--like I wouldn't give Hal Jordan gray temples, and I think I'd retcon the entire Xanshi thing as not having happened (I don't think that is necessary for Mosaic), and go from there.

The franchise had not yet been over bloated with unnecessary Corps and Lanterns at that point, and it still seemed like itself to me. I'm not sure if an entire reboot like Trey Strain preaches is necessary, but I would do a drastic adjustment to continuity. I'm sure a lot of people would hate that, but all these Lanterns are beyond superfluous at this point, and I don't see that emotional spectrum stuff as an expansion of the mythos, but rather changing it into something else at the expense of what had already been there.
                  Star-Lantern
                  Weaponer of Qward
                  Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-02-2019, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Geoff Johns was supposed to be the great restorer. He was supposed to make Green Lantern the way it was before Emerald Twilight, and to find a place for Kyle.

But he DID NOT do that. He made it all about HIS STUFF.

At this point, I don't even know whether I'd include Kyle in a reboot. Probably not.

Comment

He had success with Sinestro Corps War and then kept doing the same thing. In a way, Geoff Johns was creatively bankrupt after Sinestro Corps War, at least where Green Lantern is concerned. But his comics kept selling, and it's my opinion that over the course of nearly a decade of his wars, and then having Robert Venditti attempt the same thing but execute it probably even worse (but, I dunno', Robert Venditti put out a lot of bad comics, but I don't know if anything is as bad as that First Lantern stuff), eventually wore the franchise out. When you put Baz and Cruz on top of that then Johns strip mined and wrecked it.

It's the same story as WCW Monday Nitro. You're on fire one minute and bigger than ever, then out of business the next, largely because you kept doing the same thing over and over again and eventually the product no longer resembled itself. In this analogy, Geoff Johns plays the role of both Eric Bischoff and Kevin Nash, and the Emotional Spectrum is the NWO.
                      And even though that was really big, when people look back at WCW, they think fondly of the Horsemen.
                      Star-Lantern
                      Weaponer of Qward
                      Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-02-2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Sinestro Corps War was amazing. I was high on life from Rebirth until just after SCW. In some ways, I feel like maybe I should have just walked away from comics right then and left on a high note. It was all downhill for me and my enjoyment of comics after that.

Comment

Eric Bischoff had one good idea, which was the NWO. But he did it so much that it killed the show.

When Johns saw that the Black Lanterns story didn't work, he should have knocked the emotional spectrum in the head. But it was his ego. He didn't want to take Green Lantern back to the 80s and 90s. He wanted to redo it, make it into something entirely different.

He wanted it to be HIS property, so he doubled down on what he was doing.

Comment

And it amazes me that they left Robert Venditti on the comic for THAT long, even though month after month he turned in poor stories. The only comparable situation I can think of is Judd Winick on Green Arrow. They left Winick on that comic for so long that he probably damaged it beyond repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                              Sinestro Corps War was amazing.
                              It was fine until the ending, or lack thereof.

Comment

I don't hate them,But I don't like them. I get why they were created. Geoff gets a chunk of that money when they get used.
                                Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Working...
                                X