X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rogues Tavern (1936)

"You married?"

"No sir, I was born this way?"

A private eye and his fiancee are told to find the Justice of the Peace for their pending marriage at a nearby inn, but when they get there only a collection of strangers is present. A wild dog seemingly kills one of them and then stalks the rest, but the flatfoot isn't convinced the canine is responsible for the deaths.

The writing and camera-work are not bad, at times pretty clever (the way the camera glides forward and then swivels for the lobby scene, the protag noticing critical details on a piece of evidence), and the plot is serviceable. My dad actually wondered if he'd ever seen the kind of telephones used in the film, with the hook to hang the earpiece. Fiancee is cliche comic relief half the time, so she kind of got on my nerves.

Chose this on YouTube because I didn't feel like watching It Came from Outer Space, which requires rental/purchase on both YouTube and IMDB unless you want to watch it in a dozen clips, since a previous single upload was apparently removed. The next film to start playing once we'd finished was Karloff's Doomed to Die, so I'll have to remember to check that out one day.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Motherless Brooklyn (2019)

"Satisfaction won't unburden a tortured heart."

Really liked it.

Blood Money (2017)

"You're a terrible, terrible person."

This flick had a good premise, but just dropped the ball. John Cusack is an embezzler who parachutes into the woods dropping his loot first, but the bundle gets carried by the river, where three college-age friends in a love triangle discover it and try to stay ahead of the Cusack character. The problem is that none of the kids are relatable and while good movies can be made about despicable people, they have to rise above that. This did not.

John Wick 3: Parabellum (2019)

"Hey, John. That was a pretty good fight, huh?"

Well, it's my least favorite, but it had some very good bits and I am very glad to see Mark Dacascos with some good action work again.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 08-16-2020, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...ld_completely/

Got both a good load of laughs and a fair amount of sorrow out of this.

Comment

• Savage Streets (1984)

"I am never gonna get out of this place."

Peyton Place (1957)

"We were just playing a game called Photography. You turn off the lights and see what develops."

Chariots of Fire (1981)

"I've known the fear of losing but now I am almost too frightened to win."

R.I.P. Ben Cross.
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 08-20-2020, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970)

"Like Sigmund Freud said, take away the guilt and who'd ever wanna get laid?"

Bizarre but fun. Russ Meyer's one legit Hollywood movie (and it is tamer for it, though by no means square) and the one script by his friend Roger Ebert.

Animal Crackers (1930)

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."

Turned 90. I forgot how much I liked the Marx Brothers (though mostly Groucho’s quick dialogue).
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 08-26-2020, 03:17 AM.

Comment

• Horror Island (1941)

"Aw, where was I gonna find bats? Besides, them pigeons have been outta work for six months!"

A pair of broke sailors rescue an attacked stranger, who promises a buried treasure if they help him. When they are told the map is a fake, they decide to set up a haunted treasure hunt business that turns deadly when the attacker returns.

Dick Foran, Peggy Moran, and Fuzzy Knight star here, and I'm sure I've heard of the first two but not Knight, nor did my dad. The film does have a decent castle set and really isn't bad for a comedy-mystery.

Comment

• [Rifftrax:] Samurai Cop (1991/2016)

"Where is anyone in relation to each other? It's like Gunfight at the MC Escher Corral."

The Watcher (2000)

"She has a cat named Frank. Apparently he doesn't watch the news."

About to expire on Instant Netflix. Not great serial killer movie, but worth a watch. Keanu Reeves plays the killer (you know that in the first minute) and James Spader the ex-Fed who was targeted, dropped out, and is forced to return when the killer resurfaces and plays the game against him again.

Free State of Jones (2016)

"Why'd you leave?
                  -I'm gonna die so they can get rich?
                  That's why we left too.
                  Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 09-29-2020, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• Not as good as the two theatrical versions, but this production is much closer to the play I was in in High School, thus I quite enjoy it. Plus it's got some great actors for a TV movie.

One of my childhood favorites, it still holds up really well.
                    Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Gammera the Invincible (1966)

"Wait a minute, turtles are stupid."

Watched on Tubi, but as part of the 'celebration' of the new Arrow set.

Graveyard of Honor (1975)

"It never occurred to me to use the Americans!"

Wanted to see this when I heard about it being a seminal yakuzu film. It's very different for that genre, though. Based on a novel that itself is based on a real-life person, it follows a mob guy that's really a loser. He doesn't so much rise and fall as continually spiral, which would seem to be the director's way at looking how post-war Japan could use up the bottom guys.

Darkman (1990)

"I was engaged to a girl once with a wooden leg.
                      -Yeah? What happened?
                      Had to break it off."

Turned 30 yesterday. Always liked this one.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 09-29-2020, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• Watched the GoodBadFlicks documentary on YouTube about Disney's The Black Hole. The level of technical achievement and detail and the casting choices and shenanigans, the numerous years spent writing and rewriting the script, I have to say I'm in shock. I never expected what I'd heard was a Star Wars cash-in to be something so utterly wild. Gotta see this, and I strongly recommend the GBF video.

Comment

• Christopher Robin (2018)

"I don't remember being cheery."

Pretty sweet, though it follows the basic premise of Hook or Burton's Alice (that the kid has grown out of the fictional world and is confronted with it again). A lot of the Eeyore stuff (now voiced by Brad Garrett, of course) made me laugh.

If I were clever, I'd make a horror trailer out of the scene where Madeline (Christopher's daughter) first encounters Pooh as a voice in the woods.
                          EDIT: Not surprisingly, there are two on Youtube. One seems to take the legit trailer and just add tense music. The other is one of those splices with It 2.

Starred Up (2003)

"It's f***ing prison, ain't it?"

Pretty dark British prison film, where a juvie is sent up to general population early and deals with his anger and being in the same jail as his dad.

Vampire Effect [aka The Twins Effect] (2003)

"Love makes you blind. Couldn't you tell by my dress?"

Chinese horror comedy. The sister of a vampire hunter falls for a vampire, who is also the last prince in the line of royalty another vampire is seeking to exploit to death for some magical power. Jackie Chan cameos.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                          Watched the GoodBadFlicks documentary on YouTube about Disney's The Black Hole. The level of technical achievement and detail and the casting choices and shenanigans, the numerous years spent writing and rewriting the script, I have to say I'm in shock. I never expected what I'd heard was a Star Wars cash-in to be something so utterly wild. Gotta see this, and I strongly recommend the GBF video.
                          I love The Black Hole, but I don't yet own it, unfortunately.
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 09-29-2020, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• I thought The Black Hole was OK (even though it DID seem like a Star Wars cash-in), but that ending was so utterly bizarre, it just made me laugh.

Comment

• Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-li (2009)

"You see, your father has been the milk of my business. But even milk has an expiration date."

This was actually a little better than I expected but only because I heard how bad it was. Judging apart from the game franchise (which was never my favorite), it's no worse than a low-level actioner or straight-to-DVD. Lots of plot holes and goofs though.

Kill Bill vol. 1 (2003)

"That's being more rational than Bill led me to believe you were capable of.
                              -It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack. Not rationality."

Kill Bill vol. 2 (2004)

"When will I see you again?
                              -That's the title of my favorite soul song of the 70s.

I really should've watched something from my Netflix queue or one of the movies I bought but haven't seen yet (I don't do that much, but I have several); however, a random reference the other night led me to re-watch these yet again.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 09-28-2020, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• Terrifier this was a nice little slasher gem i came across on netflix
                                .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Working...
                                X