View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #28
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I'm not particularly knocking Geoff here. He just did what everybody else does. But he's a pertinent example, in that he spent 10 years making very gradual changes in Green Lantern.

Now if he really wanted to see those changes, and he really thought they were needed, then why didn't he make them fast -- say, in six months? The answer is that he, like so many other writers, made his run about the changes he was making, instead of about the stories he was telling!

That's why the comic sucks now. It's nothing like the way it was when he took it over, and his changes have been harmful. Yes, they helped him tell stories, and they got people excited for a while, but they hurt the comic.

If you don't want to make your changes fast, then I call bullshit on you. If they're really needed, then you need to make them right now, and not drag them out for years as grist for your stories.
You have to consider how far Johns planned ahead, and how much of his plans stuck. When he first started Green Lantern, he may not have even thought about all those different colored Corps and everything that came with them. It actually seemed like he wasn't headed in that direction at all. I see fans often wonder why that Cowgirl character and that air force base setting fell to the wayside. Well, the likely reason is that plans for the story took another direction. DC saw success with the Sinestro Corps War arc, so they likely said "we want more of that," so the story headed that way, with colored corps wars. If I had to guess, I would say that wasn't the original plan, though.

It may not have been his original intention to change things. Actually, it seemed like he was more interested in setting things back to how they were, or something much closer to that. But the winds and apparently what customers wanted to see took the story someplace else, and the rest is history.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote