1980s
    37.50%
    1990s
    37.50%
    2000s
    12.50%
    2010s
    0.00%

I'm going to have to go with the 70s. The 60s are close for me, but it took a while for the series to really hit its stride and I'd have to say the O'Neil line and much of what followed is probably my favorite to re-read.

Comment

I'd say the 80s. Pound for pound the best quality writing with also some pretty experimental stuff, I think.

Comment

I loved the 80s GL with Hal and Guy, but DCU's problem is that they get 80% through a storyline and then the dumpster fire alights. I think it began with Armageddon 2000, where the fans found out early that Monarch would be Captain Atom, so the staff had to change the plot at the last second to Hawk being the bad guy. There's been a continuous new beginning-overpower-depower cycle in a lot of the DCU comics, especially Superman and GL/GLC. GL Rebirth, Blackest Night, and Brightest Day were spectacular, but Blackest Night dropped the ball right at "Devour Will", and Brightest Day started to act as if three different people were writing the last six issues simultaneously. War of the Lanterns/Third Army/First Lantern were coffin nails, not plot arcs.

If you said I could only keep the comics from one era I would say the 90s with Kyle and Parallax, just because it gave possibilities, from Kyle going to the Legion of Super-Heroes as well as making his own temporary Corps in a two-issue mini-book. The old power rings with their 24-hour limits were quaint, but Kyle's ring with no limits was better. Blackest Night with the Color Corps were a close 2nd place. And Guy was the Vuldarian Warrior during that time too.
        jhpace1
        Green Lantern Initiate
        Last edited by jhpace1; 07-02-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Damn, I miss the Vuldarian powers. Not necessarily the look. While I didn't mind it then, it hasn't aged all that well. But it wouldn't be hard to update that or even to give him a new costume that hides most of his tattoos. But taking away those powers was so random, so unnecessary, and it didn't even fit the story of Green Lantern Rebirth.

Comment

The 1980s. Wolfman, Wein, and Englehart put out really good stuff, and I think the series reached its peak around Crisis on Infinite Earths. That said, the Christopher Priest Action Comics stuff ranks among the worst Green Lantern stories I've read.

After that, I would say the 90s. To be completely honest with you, I have difficulty enjoying comics from before 1980. I can certainly appreciate them, but they are often such struggles to read due to the writing style.

It's sort of similar to professional wrestling for me, I guess. Whenever I tried watching old 60s wrestling, like Buddy Rodgers, it just wasn't particularly entertaining for me to watch, but I certainly appreciate the role it played in the evolution of the format. Another thing like that for me is western cartoons. I don't think wrestling and western cartoons got really awesome and something a mass market could obsess over until the 1980s. That's why I think a lot of people who were kids at the time still love their childhood hobbies...because they were awesome. The stuff prior to that was likely easier to discard for people.
            Star-Lantern
            Weaponer of Qward
            Last edited by Star-Lantern; 07-02-2019, 09:04 PM.
            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Late 80s to early 90s.

Comment

I am gonna say Rebirth- About a year or 2 after the movie. Green Lantern was riding high for a spell. As to when the book was at it's best,it's really hard to say. I like the old 60's stuff though. The colors,The Art,and the just pure super heroness of it all.
                Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
                  I am gonna say Rebirth- About a year or 2 after the movie. Green Lantern was riding high for a spell. As to when the book was at it's best,it's really hard to say. I like the old 60's stuff though. The colors,The Art,and the just pure super heroness of it all.
                  You should vote for the 2000s then. If enough member notice this poll, we might cover all the decades.

Comment

The mid-90s to the end of the decade will always be magic to me. Kyle supplanted every other DC character as my favorite, and the Banks-Marz duo remains my favorite artist/writer combo in all comicdom. While I've adored Johns' expansion of the mythos and his ability to bring GL to the forefront of the comic book world for a short time, I doubt that any GL era will ever top New Dawn and the subsequent Torchbearer years.
                    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

I am gonna say Rebirth- About a year or 2 after the movie. Green Lantern was riding high for a spell.
                      Really? It felt like GL had a kidney punch not long after the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                        Really? It felt like GL had a kidney punch not long after the movie.
                        It was still okay because,there was the cartoon which had a Happy Meal Promo,and the figures hit clearance after the movie flopped. So you could get some good deals if you knew where to look. Of course After the plans that were too far into production to stop were done,DC hard core pulled up stakes. Green Lantern became a Bad word at WB

Comment

It was still okay because,there was the cartoon which had a Happy Meal Promo,and the figures hit clearance after the movie flopped...
                          Yeah, I got stuff on discount, but unfortunately I never finished the Masters line (which were nice sculpts) because the local stores seemed to have 200 Tomar-Res but no Morro or Galius Zed.

Comment

That toy line was kinda wack all together. They really didn't any villains for kids to have GL fight. Plus all the corps had like 2 seconds of screen time. You really had to be a GL fan to pull any joy from that.

I bought a lot of that stuff cheap. I spent 50 buck on amazon for Clearance GL stuff,it was like the coolest loot crate ever!

Comment

...I bought a lot of that stuff cheap. I spent 50 buck on amazon for Clearance GL stuff,it was like the coolest loot crate ever!
                              I wish I had done that. Those designs were actually pretty good. I liked most of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X