Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doug and Ivan.

Comment

The Mahnke is not even close to Banks, van Sciver or Reis.

Comment

That's your opinion. I love Mahnke, not really big on EVS.

Comment

Since I'm an old fogie, I'd go with Dave Gibbons GL (vol. 2) as one of my favorite pencillers. He was good at drawing a wide array of facial expressions, not just anger and rage as most artists of this era can ONLY do.

I like EVS' art, but most of his characters are always frowned up, like they've just eaten a lemon. Ivan Reis artwork is great as well.

Comment

I can't believe the rest of us old timers missed that one. I am ashamed I forgot Gibbons.

Comment

I'm a fan of gibbons from that era, but I really don't like his new stuff which kinda taints everything else for me

She blinded me with SCIENCE!

Comment

...you said "taint."
                The last fan of 1990s comics
                Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Taint. You had me at taint.

Gibbons is a great one. Wish his run was longer, though it did pave the way for my beloved Englehart/Staton run.

There were a lot of great artists during volume 2, even if the percentage of great art isn't as high as volume 4 (IMO). Neal Adams. Mike Grell. Hell, Keith Pollard. Does anybody here but me remember how good Keith Pollard's art was? Totally overlooked penciller in GL history.

Comment

Banks and Pelletier, as well as Eaglesham during the Kyle era. In the past I was a fan of Gibbons work. Reis is probably the best these days, and EVS is good once in awhile but I always find flaws in the way he pencils a character.

~KL~

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
                      Banks and Pelletier, as well as Eaglesham during the Kyle era.
                      ~KL~
                      All three of those guys runs' were beautiful. Great work.

Comment

Pelletier drew too, I dunno, round? I saw a lot of Gary Frank in him so I never really felt his work.

She blinded me with SCIENCE!

Comment

His stuff was particularly good right around the Three of a Kind arc with Wally and Conner Hawke as well as his issues during Emerald Knights. He did the GL/Sentinel 3 part mini also and drew Jade amazingly well. I eventually followed him over to the Flash around issues #140-155 during the Dark Flash saga. I hated seeing him get scooped up by Marvel, but I enjoyed his Black Bolt during War of Kings.

I completely get what you mean with the roundness. While his art does seem more realistic when compared to Humberto Ramos and Todd Nauck, it's still easy to put Pelletier in a category with those guys with some of his characters having larger more expressive eyes and hardly a square jaw in the bunch. His Impulse managed to look like almost everyone elses' at the time [see big eyes, hair, and feet].

Seeing Pelletier AND Eaglesham back at DC gives me hope one of them will draw Kyle again soon. It's a crime against fans to not bring Banks out of semi-retirement for something GL related.

EDIT: Also, let's not forget that most of these guys work was also benefiting from colors by MOOSE. He stuck with the franchise for YEARS and left sometime after Rebirth. He set a new standard in the way people color Lanterns and you just have to tip your hat for the guy.

~KL~
                          Ωmega Man
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by Ωmega Man; 01-15-2014, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
                            EDIT: Also, let's not forget that most of these guys work was also benefiting from colors by MOOSE. He stuck with the franchise for YEARS and left sometime after Rebirth. He set a new standard in the way people color Lanterns and you just have to tip your hat for the guy.

~KL~
                            I totally agree with this, and thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

I like offbeat stuff like Joe Staton and Pat Broderick. And I'm a fan of Banks, Pelletier and Eaglesham. But the best was probably Gil Kane inking his own pencils. When Joe Giella inked Kane, the lines were too thin. Giella was great for a sketchy type artist like Infantino.

Comment

I did really like Broderick's stubbled grey templed Hal of early Vol 3 it gets the bronze behind, 1) Ivan Reis, and 2) Darryl Banks, honorable mention to EVS.

Comment

Working...
                                X