White Lantern Oath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Lantern Oath?

Are they ever going to reveal the Oath Johns promises?

Heres one from the DC boards I thought was cool.

IN BRIGHTEST DAY
    THERE WILL BE LIGHT
    TO CLEANSE THE SOUL,
    AND SET WRONGS RIGHT
    WHEN DARKNESS FALLS
    LOOK TO THE SKY
    A NEW DAWN COMES
    LET THERE BE LIGHT!

Johns also promised an Orange Lantern oath a long time ago. I think he's talking out of his ass.
    The last fan of 1990s comics
    Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

thats not have bad

its all bad

Comment

They should just take a page from "Demolition Man"

"Illuminate"

Comment

It'll come soon, probably during Brightest Day or by the end of it.
          No Sir, I punched the viceroy in the stomach, then I headbutted him in the face. Sir.-Hal Jordan

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU

Comment

This thread has inspired me to write a post about the oaths.

And why they all need to go.

Comment

My bet is when the ring finally finds the REAL white lantern.
              If I'm not here, you'll probably find me at one of these:
              Genshiken.UCT | The Dugout | LO Mag

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                This thread has inspired me to write a post about the oaths.

And why they all need to go.
                Where is that?

I'd like to read it.

Comment

I haven't written it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                    I haven't written it yet.
                    Which would explain why I couldn't find it.

Comment

They don;'t need to exist because the Green Lantern Corps is the only actual ORGANIZATION.

The oath for the Green Lantern Corps has nothing to do with the source of their power or the existence of the Emotional Spectrum (so fucking stupid). It has to do with the fact that they are a group of individuals acting in concert towards a common good.

The oath is about loyalty and service... not about having magical powers from a logically unsound macguffin on your finger.

I hate the idea that every corps gets an oath and I hate all of you for constantly wondering about them.

Stop it.

Comment

What Naysay said kinda sums up my upcoming post, but in harsher language.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
                          They don;'t need to exist because the Green Lantern Corps is the only actual ORGANIZATION.

The oath for the Green Lantern Corps has nothing to do with the source of their power or the existence of the Emotional Spectrum (so fucking stupid). It has to do with the fact that they are a group of individuals acting in concert towards a common good.

The oath is about loyalty and service... not about having magical powers from a logically unsound macguffin on your finger.

I hate the idea that every corps gets an oath and I hate all of you for constantly wondering about them.

Stop it.
                          Well, I wouldn't say that the GLC is the only organization. I think having a Sinestro Corps oath makes sense, since it was a conscious attempt by Sinestro (a former GLC member) to create a mirror organization to the GLC. Plus he gets his ego stroked whenever everybody recites an oath with his name in it.

It makes no sense, though, to think Larfleeze has an Oath. And it is rather implausible that the Red Lanterns, even though they ARE an organization with some manner of common goals, would consciously mimic the GL oath to the extent of being the same length, rhythm, and meter, given their hatred for the Guardians.

The Blues, being an organization founded by Ganthet, makes more sense in terms of having a similar type of oath.

The Indigo, if we ever find out what their Oath means, and exactly what role (if any) Abin Sur had in their founding, MIGHT make sense, given that Abin was a GL.

The Sapphires? I still kind of dislike the retcon that made them into a Corps to begin with. And their historic disagreement with the Guardians would, you would think, AT LEAST lead to any "oath" taking a somewhat different format. I'm a little nebulous on the goals of their Corps nowadays, anwyay, since they seem to have given up the retconned in goal of freezing entire planets in crystal out of "love".

Comment

Isnt the Red Oath something Attrocitus used to have visions anyway? i think he uses it in secret origin, so he might just have a liking for that phrase of words
                            "Not to call you a coward, master, but, sometimes, cowards do survive."

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                              Well, I wouldn't say that the GLC is the only organization. I think having a Sinestro Corps oath makes sense, since it was a conscious attempt by Sinestro (a former GLC member) to create a mirror organization to the GLC. Plus he gets his ego stroked whenever everybody recites an oath with his name in it.
                              I understand why Sinestro would make his Yellow Lanterns to swear an oath to HIM.... but nothing about how the Sinestro Corps is written makes any sense.

So I reject that.

It makes no sense, though, to think Larfleeze has an Oath.
                              No. No it doesn't.

And it is rather implausible that the Red Lanterns, even though they ARE an organization with some manner of common goals, would consciously mimic the GL oath to the extent of being the same length, rhythm, and meter, given their hatred for the Guardians.
                              Red Lanterns are creatures of mindless rage. They're barely self aware. An oath is an exorcise in sacrifice. An acknowledgment of fealty to something larger than oneself.

If Red Lanterns were given a CHOICE in their membership or behavior then I would argue that the oath might be an incredibly effective method of "control".... but from what we've seen... the Red Ring just takes your shit over. Making an oath redundant, meaningless and hackneyed.

The Blues, being an organization founded by Ganthet, makes more sense in terms of having a similar type of oath.
                              OK... I'll give you that one. The Blue Lanterns probably would (and I guess do) have an oath.

But it's still stupid.

The Indigo, if we ever find out what their Oath means, and exactly what role (if any) Abin Sur had in their founding, MIGHT make sense, given that Abin was a GL.
                              Yea... ok.

The Sapphires? I still kind of dislike the retcon that made them into a Corps to begin with. And their historic disagreement with the Guardians would, you would think, AT LEAST lead to any "oath" taking a somewhat different format. I'm a little nebulous on the goals of their Corps nowadays, anwyay, since they seem to have given up the retconned in goal of freezing entire planets in crystal out of "love".
                              That's just the thing tho innit?

The other Corps simply don't operate in the same fashion as the Green Lantern Corps. They have essentially identical powers (which is idiotic and getting idioticer by the month) but not the same motivations.

For example....

why would all the other corps recognize the arbitrary designations of space sectors? If you could make an infinite number of power rings... why limit yourself to 3600 or 7200 members of your corps?

If you had a limited number of rings that your corps could support and you had no altruistic guiding principles... why not ignore the previously established sector system and focus on more populated sectors.

Comment

Working...
                              X