X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    Navajo Joe (1966)

"An Indian sheriff?!"

An alright spaghetti western with really good music (which is probably why Tarantino took a couple themes for Kill Bill). A pre-fame Reynolds plays the titular character who has a vendetta against a band of cut-throat robbers, who happen to be planning a big heist while he's on their trail.
    Burt thought Navajo Joe was a terrible movie, but it really wasn't that bad.

Comment

• Wind River (2017)

"Luck don't live out here."

A good mystery where an inexperienced FBI agent (Olsen) investigates a murder on a Wyoming Indian reservation and enlists the help of a fish and wildlife hunter (Renner) for outdoor expertise. It got extra attention from me because I've actually been to the town and reservation it's set at, though I was disappointed to find that almost none of it was actually filmed there.

Angels and Demons (2008)

"I'm anti-vandalism."

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
      Burt thought Navajo Joe was a terrible movie, but it really wasn't that bad.
      Agreed. It's not spectacular, but it's not really a bad Western (and I've seen some of those).
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 08-27-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Widows (2018)

Comment

• Natural Born Killers (1994)

"I was born and spent the first part of my life in Texas.
          -That's funny, you don't have the accent.
          I don't wanna talk like those a**holes.
          -My mother was from Texas!
          I meant those other a*holes."

Turned 25 yesterday. I still debated whether I was in the mood to watch it, but it had been a while and was worth it. I forgot the frenetic pacing of this one.

Revolutionary Road (2008)

"Plenty of people are on to the emptiness; but, it takes real guts to see the hopelessness."

Good, but depressing.

Comment

• Aquaman (2018)

Comment

• Originally posted by robojac View Post
              Widows (2018)

How is that? I assume all the dudes die right away?

Comment

• Sensitive New Age Killer (2000)

"Remember you love me."

Not as funny as it seems to think itself, but an alright watch. Follows a low-level hitman in Australian looking for a big break after a string of botched jobs.

Originally posted by robojac View Post
                Widows (2018)

"We have a lot of work to do, crying is not on the list."

Again I happened to have this next in my queue the same time you were watching it.

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                Not Robojac, but for my part, I can say it was really good. It's more of a thriller and drama than you might expect. The ladies aren't super heroes who don't make mistakes or overnight pros, but they are serious and their story is engaging.
                And, yeah, the botched job leading to the deaths basically starts the movie and then bits with the men are interspersed in flashbacks.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 08-28-2019, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Yo.

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                    not quite, and it was pretty good w/o being a "women can do things too!" -film....

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• The Buddy Holly Story (1978)

"Hey, I like Elvis fine! But I'm Buddy Holly."

Re-watching this after La Bamba just made me sad, especially for what we lost. What would Holly and Valens have been doing in say '65?

High-Rise (2015)

"This is my party. You're my guests. I shall be the one to decide if someone is lobotomized."

I can't decide if I like this or not. It's satiric and dystopic, but it just has this weird tone and seeming pointlessness yet I keep thinking about it. Very hard to define. I see it listed as a horror and sci-fi, which is not really accurate (especially not the latter). Maybe I should read the book.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 08-31-2019, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• Ninja Assassin (2009)

"Weakness compels strength. Betrayal begets blood."

A series of high-profile assassinations pique the interest of a Europol analyst, who believes an ancient Japanese clan of contract killers to be behind the dirty deeds. At the same time, a former member of said clan plots revenge, and teams up with the agent to bring the villains down.

I'm not gonna lie, as hokey as a lot of this is (it utterly embodies the "action films don't have real plots" cliche), the action sequences are surprisingly enjoyable (bloody as hell, but astonishingly little gore); I loved the flashback staff fight where the boys duel amid suspended flaming orbs.

For a 1.5h popcorn flick, this was fairly decent and worth the rent.
                        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Magic Mike (2012)

"Fact is, the law says you cannot touch! But I think I see a lotta lawbreakers up in this house tonight."

Pretty good and funny. Pretty vulgar, but that wasn't surprising. Seems like the strippers' audience was pretty good looking, but that could be a Tampa/Miami thing.

Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962)

"Mountain Rivera was no punk."

Wanted to see this after finding out it's Chuck Wepner's favorite movie. Quinn plays a heavyweight forced to take a medical retirement. It's a shame Jackie Gleason didn't get more dramatic roles. He's great in this (as the scummy manager in debt to the mob).

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                          Ninja Assassin (2009)...
                          I'm not gonna lie, as hokey as a lot of this is (it utterly embodies the "action films don't have real plots" cliche), the action sequences are surprisingly enjoyable (bloody as hell, but astonishingly little gore); I loved the flashback staff fight where the boys duel amid suspended flaming orbs.

For a 1.5h popcorn flick, this was fairly decent and worth the rent.
                          I love that movie more than it deserves and have watched it a number of times. I don't dig on the CGI in a martial arts movie and I think they could've toned down the super-hero-like powers, but something about it is just so fun. Fun fact: all the ninja actors had to go to karate and weapons training, which was logical with guys like Rain (a pop singer). When they asked Sho Kosugi (playing Ozunu)---who had years of experience---he was like "I really don't think this is necessary," but he went. The instructor watched him on day one and told him he doesn't need to come back.
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 08-31-2019, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                            Space Cop beat me to it and pretty much said what I would've said.

Comment

• Blood Feast (1963)

"Call the Fremonts, fast! And for Pete's sake, don't let them eat anything!"

Badlands (1973)

"I'd stopped even paying attention to him. Instead I sat in the car and read a map and spelled out entire sentences with my tongue on the roof of mouth where nobody could read them."
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 09-01-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Wrong Turn (2003)

Comment

Working...
                                X