What would be a good nickname for Hal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
    The writers of Teen Titans, Action Comics and Detective Comic shouldn't roll over for the writers of Titans, Superman and Batman respectively. They should force those guys to go out and beat them every month. They should hold a blow torch against their asses and put them to work.

I've always thought that Detective Comics should be a teamup title with Batman and Green Arrow instead of the Batman B title. Force Bruce to treat Ollie as an equal. That would boost Ollie's stock.

Action Comics could be a teamup of Superman and the Martian Manhunter instead of Superman B. Revamp the MM to give him only powers Superman doesn't have, instead of keeping him a low-rent Superman, and put some clothes on him. John Jones could be a detective working in Metropolis.

Teen Titans could get a boost by making Batman the team's supervisor, although off camera most of the time. Less of him there would be more. They need an adult in the room anyway.

Stop keeping the sales of some of your products down INTENTIONALLY, for God's sake. That's wacky.

You want to do something new or to keep doing something that we've always done? Fine. But first tell me how it's going to sell more products.

Yes, I'm a broken record. Sales. S-A-L-E-S.
    I agree. In Rebirth, there is one thing Green Lantern has done very well that no one I've seen has given it credit for, even though I have thought about it and never said it myself. There currently is not really a "main" Green Lantern book, or at least not one that everyone can agree on as being the main one, and lo... both the Green Lantern titles sell about equal!

Wherever else the franchise may be performing tepidly, that is actually quite a feat for Green Lantern, I think. Especially considering the pattern it fell into while Geoff Johns was writing the Green Lantern title. Instead of one book leading others along in the narrative, they both tell their own stories. Instead of DC more or less telling readers, "This is the important one," neither is more important or dependent on the other. And as such, instead of one book way outperforming the other in sales, they're about equal.

If there is any success Green Lantern has had lately, I think it is getting two books to sell equal and fairly respectable numbers, and shattering the notion that there is one important book and others that are less important.

As for not publishing a book simply called "Green Lantern"... *shrug* I don't think I have too much of an opinion on that. You can probably get away with it okay. I think there is a dependable audience out there that will buy some Green Lantern book if you publish it, even if it is called "Green Lantern: Fill in the Subtitle." There just isn't a dependable audience that will buy 5 of them. At least not last we saw.
    Star-Lantern
    Weaponer of Qward
    Last edited by Star-Lantern; 04-17-2017, 06:18 PM.
    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
      I agree. In Rebirth, there is one thing Green Lantern has done very well that no one I've seen has given it credit for, even though I have thought about it and never said it myself. There currently is not really a "main" Green Lantern book, or at least not one that everyone can agree on as being the main one, and lo... both the Green Lantern titles sell about equal!

Wherever else the franchise may be performing tepidly, that is actually quite a feat for Green Lantern, I think. Especially considering the pattern it fell into while Geoff Johns was writing the Green Lantern title. Instead of one book leading others along in the narrative, they both tell their own stories. Instead of DC more or less telling readers, "This is the important one," neither is more important or dependent on the other. And as such, instead of one book way outperforming the other in sales, they're about equal.

If there is any success Green Lantern has had lately, I think it is getting two books to sell equal and fairly respectable numbers, and shattering the notion that there is one important book and others that are less important.

As for not publishing a book simply called "Green Lantern"... *shrug* I don't think I have too much of an opinion on that. You can probably get away with it okay. I think there is a dependable audience out there that will buy some Green Lantern book if you publish it, even if it is called "Green Lantern: Fill in the Subtitle." There just isn't a dependable audience that will buy 5 of them. At least not last we saw.
      No, it won't sell five titles. But it will sell two like the ones I've described. And John, Kyle and Alan will do fine in JLA, Titans and JSA respectively. You can keep five Lanterns gainfully employed that way, and pretty easily at that.

Baz and Cruz need to do something else though.

Comment

Yes, we know Green Lantern can sustain two titles. It is doing so currently, and unlike the ones you described. Though those titles did have the huge benefit of being assisted by a company wide relaunch, which makes a world of difference. Still, I think the franchise can handle two titles even without that.
        ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
          Yes, we know Green Lantern can sustain two titles. It is doing so currently, and unlike the ones you described. Though those titles did have the huge benefit of being assisted by a company wide relaunch, which makes a world of difference. Still, I think the franchise can handle two titles even without that.
          The sales numbers of Green Lanterns are being propped up by a promotional gimmick that I describe at this link, starting in Post #829. That title isn't going to stick.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...=19692&page=34

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
            The sales numbers of Green Lanterns are being propped up by a promotional gimmick that I describe at this link, starting in Post #829. That title isn't going to stick.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...=19692&page=34
            I see. To me, that looks like speculation on your part, accusing DC of sly tactics because you don't like the direction of the titles. I don't like the direction either, but I'm not so deluded to think that DC can't comfortably sell two Green Lantern titles without my input, or submitting to my whims. Especially when it looks like they're comfortably selling two books right now, and I don't like either of them. I prefer to just give them their credit where it is due, while keeping my own money to myself.

If your goal... or dream... or... whatever it is you have is for DC to be able to sell two Lantern titles and not have a "main" title, well... DC is doing just that right now, just without a configuration you like. And sure, the sales could be better, and perhaps should be when looking at other long running DC characters, but neither book seems to be in danger of being cancelled yet. At least not due to sales.

I, too, doubt Green Lanterns will stick around. There's bound to be some eventual sea change, as there always is, but I think it's a bit silly to think that just because you don't like it, DC must be up to something with the sales numbers. Or do you have some proof of that?

Personally, I believe there are a lot of people who buy Green Lantern books regardless of who the main characters are. I think only really devoted fans care about that. Really devoted fans often times are really devoted to specific characters, but a lot of other buyers aren't so invested, I believe. Sure, a lot of people have their opinions on favorite Green Lanterns, or who should be in the movies, and whatnot, but I believe a lot of those people aren't regularly buying Green Lantern comics. Or if they do have their favorites, it's really not that important to them. Of the people who do buy Green Lantern books on the regular, if you give them a GL title that is presented as mattering in the context of the shared universe, and being in canon, and there aren't 347384392347 other Green Lantern books to choose from, they'll buy it, especially if it's made well.

At least that's what it looks like to me. With many regular comic readers, I don't think any one Green Lantern (yes, including Hal Jordan) is really raking in way more people than the others at this current time. Hence why these two new characters with negligible fanbases can outsell the Hal Jordan book regularly. I mean, you can accuse DC of skulduggery on that front, but without definitive proof that seems kinda' flimsy and somewhat petty. Like you just pulled it out of nowhere, because a book you personally dislike so much can't possibly do that well.
            Star-Lantern
            Weaponer of Qward
            Last edited by Star-Lantern; 04-17-2017, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Common sense tells me that a comic that stars Baz and Cruz won't sell as well as one that stars Hal, Guy, John and Kyle. And I know that DC propped up the sales of The New Guardians, so of course they'd do that here. They've even put Baz and Cruz in JLA to push them.

As to how good these two comics are, I think both are floundering because of premises that are too far removed from the original concept of Green Lantern. But besides that, the Green Lanterns title also also has a couple of protagonists who nobody asked for.

Yes, I'm pretty confident that the sales numbers of Green Lanterns are puffed. I'd bet my lunch money on it.
              Trey Strain
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-22-2017, 12:34 AM.

Comment

"Emerald Gladiator" always seemed off to me since he's a space cop, and gladiator implies some throwback. I do like "emerald" though - it's a classy way to say "green"

"warrior" has been co-opted by Guy, "knight" is Batman, "guardian" is .. the Guardians...

"Emerald Enforcer" has the alliteration and they do enforce the law, but it has a negative implication.

"Ring-slinger" is fun, but it's not in the same league as "The Dark Knight" as an iconic sobriquet.

"Emerald Defender" doesn't really roll off the tongue...

So yeah, I don't know....

Comment

OK, it's Earth's Warrior and Emerald Knight, as in my sig.

Comment

Late here, but for discussion:

Knight is fun because although it has been used for Batman when he has a ring, it has been used for the animated movie title, and for the story arc where Kyle and young Hal interact for a time. Then you also have Alan Scott's Kingdom's outfit that is of a knight as well.

As with going with Guy's Emerald Warrior and changing the -er noun you could also get [some have already been stated of course]:
                    Emerald Protector
                    Emerald Defender
                    Emerald Crusader
                    Emerald Enforcer
                    Emerald Inspector

Comment

I just want two titles, Green Lantern starrimg Hal Jordan on Earth, and Green Lantern Corps starring Guy Gardner and John Stewart on Oa with the corps and guardians etc.

Kill Baz and Cruz. Make Kyle a super duper uber God to make Ion happy and have him make guest appearances like super duper uber gods are supposed to.

Two titles is more than enough. DC can't even get one right as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                        I just want two titles, Green Lantern starrimg Hal Jordan on Earth, and Green Lantern Corps starring Guy Gardner and John Stewart on Oa with the corps and guardians etc.

Kill Baz and Cruz. Make Kyle a super duper uber God to make Ion happy and have him make guest appearances like super duper uber gods are supposed to.

Two titles is more than enough. DC can't even get one right as it is.
                        They won't kill Baz or Cruz. The best you can hope for is that they'll get non-Lantern roles.

You're right about Hal and Guy, but don't call Guy's title The Green Lantern Corps, because people think that's a B title. I think that name has something to do with HJatGLC selling poorly.

Kyle the Grand Poo-Bah just won't work. Put him back pretty close to the way he was when he was the only Lantern. The best place to do that is in Titans.

Comment

But he can't be an uber god in the titans. I have it on good authority being a regular GL isnt enough for him, so let him be the most poweful being ever, and show up once or twice a year in guest appearances.

Comment

Working...
                          X