Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... do you like Green Lanterns?

A simple raise of hands will do.

I'm way the fuck behind. But I'll get there.
    Yes
    41.67%
    No
    50.00%
    Haven't read it yet
    8.33%

I "have to" read it because it's GL. Among the "have to" read books, it ranks pretty low, but I don't hate it.

It's not a chore for me to read.

If I weren't a committed GL fan, I wouldn't be reading it. Is that a yes? IDK

Comment

The premise has changed a lot since I started re-reading GL in the 1990s. Hal Jordan has always been too old for me. John Stewart was run through the ringer with Katima. Guy was decent, but every editor kept making him a joke compared to the other superheroes. Kyle was finally given a little respect, but then came the reboot.

I would have preferred to see things differently, perhaps based upon GL #20's prediction, but not "5 years after" or the mess GL is in now. I liked Blackest Night. I liked 7200 GLs for 3600 sectors. I liked the Alpha Lanterns. The Third Army ruined it all. So did the "natives of the planet of GL batteries revolt". The horrible continuity of Relic and Lost Corps.

Hal Jordan at near-Guardian level? Guy now a former cop, not just the son of a cop? Sinestro gone? Kyle's string of ex-girlfriends dead or in literal limbo? Only 2 Guardians? No Templar Guardians? The rings acting on their own? Destroying the other Color Corps? Green Lantern has a lot of mileage to go to earn my respect back.

Comment

Nope. It's awful. Wake me up when it's over.

Comment

I think both books have mad potential in the right hands, so I would say yes. Especially Simon and Jessica, they are both going to be bad asses when the current storyline ends.

Comment

I'm with Space Cop. I don't hate it, but the main characters are not exactly high on my list of favorites.

Comment

My wife likes Cruz. That is all.

~//V\\~

Comment

Maybe someday they will be the butt of some joke in an event crossover, the way Jurgens' Teen Titans' Risk was in Infinite Crisis.

Comment

I believe that was Team Titans, Dave.

~//V\\~

Comment

You sure? Seems like it was an actual Teen Titans volume that Dan Jurgens got to do. The one where he made all his own characters for the team?

Comment

Dave is right, that was the Teen Titans 1996 version.

Comment

Yeah ok. I thought this version existed earlier than 96 for some reason. I forgot about teen Atom...

~//V\\~

Comment

Yeah, that's the one. For some reason, I bought the entire series as it came out. I couldn't leave it with the Atom tie in they had going on.

Teenage Ray Palmer...so bad...

Comment

With the people involved it could've been much better. The heroes though were a little bit to 'Meh' for anybody to get behind it for very long. The best book in the late 90's/early 2000's was Young Justice starring Superboy, Impulse and Robin.

I wish DC would get Peter David back to write another teen superhero series.

Back on topic though... I hate that TPTB recognize the potential in GL to have a title set on Earth more often again... only to give it to these two characters. I'd kill to see Hal or Kyle back on Earth with a supporting cast for more than an issue a year. Or rather two or three pages in that one issue a year....

Hal and Kyle are arguably the most popular of the GL characters, they should be the stars of Green Lanterns. It's as simple as that. If you want sales to go up and stay up, give us what we want and not what TPTB think their universe needs in a GL title.

Then get the rest of the cosmic DC line back up to par at least. Legion, as it is/was, never got the same sales the parent series got [Legion of Superheroes]. They should pull a Guardians of the Galaxy with that. Let's see if there's any Darkstars in this new post New52/Rebirth universe. Whatever happened to the new [former Capt.] Comet? Will we ever see another version of STARMAN in the modern day, or are we stuck with Stargirl and only Stargirl?

~//V\\~

Comment

Hal and Kyle on Earth? I could go for that. Either in one title or preferably in two solo titles both on Earth. Both of them should be home, interacting with other human beings and their own suporting casts that aren't exclusively ring bearers.

And Guy/John the buddy cop book in space with the GLC.

Comment

Working...
                              X