Star Trek Online - My Science Officer, Thaal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek Online - My Science Officer, Thaal

So I've been in the open beta for STO for the last week or two and I've pre-ordered the collector's edition of the game. So last night as I was wrapping up my playtest session, I had an epiphany. I created a Science officer as an "unknown alien" (completely custom appearance) and wouldn't you know it, he looks strikingly familiar, so of course, I named him Thaal

I figured it made sense as a Science officer, since Sinestro was an archeologist before he was a GL. Anyway, I saved his appearance and took some screenshots, if I remember, I'll post some here, I think he came out looking pretty good.

Yo.

so, give us the dope on wat the gamplay is like comrade.........plz??

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Gameplay's fun. It's not EVE Online, but it's got a lot of action, there's ground and space gameplay, it'd divided fairly equally between both.

Space combat is fun, it's not true space flight, they put you on a flat plane (which you can move vertically on, it's more like flight in City of Heroes, which is not surprising, but it certainly does feel like Star Trek.

Where the game really shines is in the missions, which are incredibly diverse and quite frequently mix ground and space in unique and fun ways. The other place it shines is Bridge Officers, they basically allow you to create your own Star Trek cast and it's Cryptic, so the customization in general is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by InterestingJohn View Post
        Where the game really shines is in the missions, which are incredibly diverse and quite frequently mix ground and space in unique and fun ways. The other place it shines is Bridge Officers, they basically allow you to create your own Star Trek cast and it's Cryptic, so the customization in general is fantastic.
        that's the one aspect of the game which could have sold me. If you could have a ship and then have actual people on your crew I would have been sold. Imagine having a full PC crew running a starship. It would be difficult for sure, but would set itself apart from other games of this type (Pirates of the Burning Sea).

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
          that's the one aspect of the game which could have sold me. If you could have a ship and then have actual people on your crew I would have been sold. Imagine having a full PC crew running a starship. It would be difficult for sure, but would set itself apart from other games of this type (Pirates of the Burning Sea).
          I agree, and if not for the "creating your own bridge crew", I wouldn't be interested at all.

Comment

Oh, and I used to run a YT-1300 crew in SWG, so I know how much fun an all-PC crew can be

Comment

My buddy is playing right now as well and will probably be getting me into it after I graduate.

Comment

If anyone wants to roll with me, my handle is @EmeraldTitan

character will likely be Hunter@EmeraldTitan

Comment

Yo.

so wait, U mean to tell me there's no facility to become part of a bridge crew??

fuckin' FAIL man; thats the only thing which WOULDVE made me look twice @ it.

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Yeah, but like I said, being able to create your own bridge crew is pretty fun too (and few people actually want to be the engineer, unfortunately).

Comment

Yo.

maybe so, but can U imagine playing gunner, while another person is piloting.........and a 3rd is manning the shields?!??

now THAT would be WIN. but hey, its no biggie: its less money/time for me to spend.

Tazer

Comment

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                        Yo.

maybe so, but can U imagine playing gunner, while another person is piloting.........and a 3rd is manning the shields?!??

now THAT would be WIN. but hey, its no biggie: its less money/time for me to spend.

Tazer
                        What you described... that was SWG. And it was fun, except for the poor shlub who got stuck as Co-Pilot (running ships comp, very boring), The unfortunate truth is that most people would rather be the "Captain" and have others be under their command, which only works when you've got enough people willing to be under that person's command.

Comment

Originally posted by InterestingJohn View Post
                          What you described... that was SWG. And it was fun, except for the poor shlub who got stuck as Co-Pilot (running ships comp, very boring), The unfortunate truth is that most people would rather be the "Captain" and have others be under their command, which only works when you've got enough people willing to be under that person's command.
                          to me that's what would make it great. Finding a team who was mature enough to fit their roles. Then you could just school the people whining about being captain. But I can't say anything about the game as I haven't played it. I just have so much on my plate as is, by the time i could get around to this The Old Republic will be out.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                            to me that's what would make it great. Finding a team who was mature enough to fit their roles. Then you could just school the people whining about being captain. But I can't say anything about the game as I haven't played it. I just have so much on my plate as is, by the time i could get around to this The Old Republic will be out.
                            TOR is going to be even more "single player" than this... so if you think STO is lacking in player teamwork and interaction, TOR will be a huge disappointment.

Comment

No space battling in Star Trek Online? And I'm not sure how "moving on a flat plane vertically" is supposed to work...

Comment

Working...
                              X