X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Them! (1954)

"He's got a sweet tooth."

I'd heard about this for years, since I was a little kid reading those horror film novellas in my middle school's library. The clerk at my LCS loaned me his copy, and said because he'd seen it recently before buying it, he didn't take his bought copy out of the plastic wrap when he put it away, so he had to take it off before loaning it to me.

My dad saw this many years ago, and even my mom seemed to know a bit about it when I told her what I planned on watching tonight.

Because I'd seen The Deadly Mantis and Tarantula (and probably a few others) first, I got vibes from those when seeing this rather than the other way around. Such solid camera work, absolutely incredible visuals (the trailer, the store), the use of sound, even the models of the giant ants were pretty solid (they still look a little creepy, because insects).

My dad noticed a whole load of character actors (the bald reporter during the one press conference where they first declare martial law; the guy in the bed next to the drunk). I love that the extras had a fair bit of coverage on giant monster films (all the way from the 1950s to 2002, in fact!), and my dad got a chuckle out of the main menu look like a sensationalist newspaper.

I'm gonna have to buy The Black Scorpion (1957), because Netflix doesn't carry it and I found one listing that has it combined with Tarantula and Monster from Green Hell. I'll need to find a cheap copy of this as well.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Eight Legged Freaks (2002)

"There's no way you're telling me that thing back there is from Earth!
      -All right! They're spiders from Mars! You happy?"

I know it was a B movie and often corny, but how does this have a 5.4 on IMDb? It's fun.

The Ramen Girl (2008)

"A bowl of ramen is a self-contained universe with life from the sea, the mountains, and the earth. All existing in perfect harmony. Harmony is essential."

Brittany Murphy plays a rather aimless American girl who is left behind in Tokyo when her boyfriend leaves. Instead of her dead-end job and despite a language barrier, she forces herself as an apprentice to a local Ramen noodle master. The whole family dug this one. Not classic or anything, but fun.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
      Them! (1954) . . .I'd heard about this for years, since I was a little kid reading those horror film novellas in my middle school's library. . . My dad saw this many years ago, and even my mom seemed to know a bit about it when I told her what I planned on watching tonight. . .
      That's funny. That movie is one of my mother's favorite movies (I'd guess in her top 10) so I don't even remember a time before it and have seen it probably dozens of times.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
      . . . I'm gonna have to buy The Black Scorpion (1957), because Netflix doesn't carry it and I found one listing that has it combined with Tarantula and Monster from Green Hell. I'll need to find a cheap copy of this as well.
      Weird. I saw that like a year ago and I could've sworn it was from Netflix, but it's not showing up anymore.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 01-26-2019, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave And The Bold (2018)

Comment

• [Rifftrax] X-Men (2000/2006)

"That's not how gravity works!"

The Gumball Rally (1976)

"Fifty-five is fast enough to kill you, but slow enough to make you think you're safe."
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 01-16-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• You Were Never Really Here (2017)

Comment

• Visions (2015)

"Something happened on this property. Something so terrible, it stained the land. Certain acts of psychic violence. The truly evil ones echo throughout time."

Seemed like a standard haunting movie with the usual cliches for half or more of the movie, but the twist (foreshadowed enough to get it at least a while before the full reveal) gave it more life.

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

"I've been around long enough to see plenty on TV."
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 01-16-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• 99 Homes (2014)

Comment

• Goodfellas (1990)

"I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers."

Escape from Galaxy 3 [aka StarCrash II] (1981)

"After thousands of years our sexual powers have come back to life. And we haven't suffered any harm. On the contrary, we've acquired a powerful new dimension."

Pretty bad. You're better off watching Dark Corners or Tenold's reviews. It has nothing to do with StarCrash plotwise, but reuses the special effects.

Comment

• The Post (2017)

Comment

• Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (2018)

"Dying's an occupational hazard."

I was excited for an R-rated DC Animated movie (especially for this property), but it was only OK, imho. I enjoyed the story of the PG-13 one more.

Scanner Cop (1994)

"Damn scientists!"

There were apparently 4 sequels (I think all Canadian direct-to-video) to Cronenberg's classic. I know they're not going to be good, but I was curious. Unfortunately, they weren't released on DVD here so they're nearly impossible to get, but the third (the others were #2, #3, and then SC #2) was on Youtube. I liked it. If you're not expecting too much, it's fun. A dead scanner's scanner son adopted by a cop and becomes one himself just as there is a mysterious wave of ordinary (brainwashed) citizen killing cops.

Comment

• Glass (2019)

Comment

• Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (2014)

"Are we on the right side of this? These aren't our questions to ask. A Marine fights for the person standing next to him."

Meh. An average to subpar war movie. They had the annoying tendency to overuse pop-up info subtitles like the name, rank, and birthplace of every good guy and time and place markers. Almost all are unnecessary but like 2/3 of them are outright superfluous (e.g., when an Afghan soldier is introduced and all the same info pops up as they're saying it).

Jarhead 3: The Siege (2016)

"Passion, dignity, hope, and money. That's the way it works."
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 01-23-2019, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Aqua Teen hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters for DVD (2007)

"I am a master of disguise!"

I literally cannot describe this. I thought Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie was weird as shit, but I think this might actually be even stranger. I thought it was kind of funny despite it being batshit insane, and my dad laughed at a few parts, but I wouldn't recommend this unless you want a non-acid acid trip.
                            Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Fat Man And Little Boy (1989)

Comment

• Papa Hemingway in Cuba (2015)

"Physical pain is nothing compared to the pain of a lost bond."

A decent enough movie looking at the relationship (based on a real-life one) between Hemingway (in his late 50s in Cuba) and a young reporter who idolizes him then befriends him. It shows EH warts and all; neither saint not villain.

Mighty Joe Young (1949)

"Am I dreamin', or did I just see a gorilla? And a beautiful dame!
                                Is this interesting?"

Don't think I had seen all this through before. Quite worth the watch and amazing work.

Comment

Working...
                                X