No announcement yet.

Action Figure Regret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of shows, I went to that Boston show. What a pain in the ass! Because it's getting bigger and the way they underestimate the crowd each year, we were stuck waiting in line for FOUR hours before we finally got in.

I saw a lot of 90s figures the vendors were trying to unload, a lot of the same crap sitting in my attic right now. Sigh. And you should have bought the 2 pack. Great for army building, at least before Johns started killing them off one at a time in every arc.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Targaryen View Post
      A shitload of wrestling figures I bought in the 80s and 90s. After going to wrestling school and spending 6 years doing it for real, I don't even get nostalgic over those figures in the attic.
      You have to tell what your wrestling name was!

Comment

I would agree that a lot of the Spawn figures I bought are regrettable.

There was a Marvel Legends Dr. Strange and Black Panther that I saw at a Toy show that were reasonably priced for loose figures, but I passed on them and now regret not buying. I may end up regretting not buying the SDCC 2014 Play Arts Arkham Origins Batman. That was a $100 bucks, which was out of my price range considering the stuff I paid for at SDCC.

I pretty much sold off all of my regrettable figures that I bought the time I rented a table at a toy show and made like $400 that day, a large chunk was Star Wars stuff.
        Darth_Primus
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Darth_Primus; 08-21-2014, 09:36 PM.
        You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

I'm a bit of a compulsive buyer and have had buyer's remorse several times. Like some of you, I have boxes of Power of the Force Star Wars Toys from the 90s+ and now I don't even like them--almost none of them actually look like the actors. I might regret the TNG figs too except those were actually toys I played with at first as a kid, then collected in box.

I also compulsively bought the Mattel Sinestro Corps Batman and Manhunter which I now find ugly compared to the DC Direct stuff, so it's boxed (not on display like the others).

Comment

I saw a lot of 90s figures the vendors were trying to unload, a lot of the same crap sitting in my attic right now. Sigh. And you should have bought the 2 pack. Great for army building, at least before Johns started killing them off one at a time in every arc.
            I really regret not picking up that 2-pack. Even more so, now that I checked eBay and they're typically going for $20 - $30. Failed... I have.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            I'm a bit of a compulsive buyer and have had buyer's remorse several times. Like some of you, I have boxes of Power of the Force Star Wars Toys from the 90s+ and now I don't even like them--
            At every show I attend, there are vendors that have those 90's Star Wars POTF figures sitting in gigantic tupperware-looking bins underneath their tables for $2 each, and NOBODY is touching that stuff. In my storage, I have quite a few of those figures still on the card and they're practically worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
              The figure regret works both ways. .
              That's certainly true in my case. DC Direct and DCUC's secondary market prices have cooled off somewhat over the last couple of years. I wish I would have waited on some of the rare figs.

On the flip side, I really regret not buying all of the Marvel Legends Icons in '05-'06. I got both Venoms and Spideys, but I should have snatched them all. Likewise, I held the Optimus Prime 20th anniversary figure in a department store, and ultimately decided against it. Now it's 4X-5X the original retail price.

However, no regret related to comics or figures comes close to the remorse I feel for some of the sports card purchases I made in the late 90s and early 2000s.
              Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

I pretty much want to get rid of any Star Wars toys I have that aren't vintage, and I'm stuck with a shitload like everybody else is.

I don't even mind keeping the figures for the prequels, at least those are toys for those movies at that time. It's the new figures for old movies that I regret. I feel like now that my toy collections should be tied to the time that the movies really came out, not playing on my sense of nostalgia that cost me so much money in the 90s and 00s.

Comment

I definitely have a bunch of things I regret not getting at the time--mostly at cons. I've seen some horror figures that are hard to come by now (a Cthulhu and a Nancy in tub from NoES) that were reasonable at the time. I also regret not picking up the magazine exclusive Medical and Fireman Jet Jaguars I saw at my first G-Fest and which I cannot find on any of the kaiju toy sites anymore.

Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 08-23-2014, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                    On the flip side, I really regret not buying... the Optimus Prime 20th anniversary figure in a department store, and ultimately decided against it.
                    Same here. I remember seeing the Optimus Prime 20th Anniversary figure on the clearance shelves of my local Walmart, but I couldn't afford to buy it at the time as I was newly married and wife stopped working to go back to school. It was also at that time that I sold about a third of my collection, which was mostly Masters of the Universe, GI Joe, Voltron, Star Trek, Transformers, Ronin Warriors and Power Rangers toys.
                    Darth_Primus
                    Guardian of the Universe
                    Last edited by Darth_Primus; 08-22-2014, 11:09 PM.
                    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

My biggest regret of NOT buying something?

The Mcfarlane Jaws diorama with the Orca, Jaws and Quint. When that came out they were all over, and my friend and I kept passing on it even though it's both of our favorite movie. Now the thing goes for 200 bucks. I need a time machine, not to view human history or anything, just to correct comic and toy mistakes.

Comment

...I need a time machine, not to view human history or anything, just to correct comic and toy mistakes.
                        Nice. "I could've killed Hitler, introduced the smallpox vaccine 200 years early and prevented the Great Depression, but I had toys to get, dammit!"

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          Nice. "I could've killed Hitler, introduced the smallpox vaccine 200 years early and prevented the Great Depression, but I had toys to get, dammit!"
                          Yeah, I could steer humankind in a better direction, right wrongs, etc. But if I only have a limited number of plutonium pellets, JFK is still getting shot in the head and I'm coming home with 20 copies of Action Comics #1.

Comment

I regret buying a few Terminator 2 action figures when I was a lad, me dad sort of brought me into buying them. But whatever it's his money and now they're just tucked away in a shoe box in my bedroom, they're only three figures after all.
                            Originally posted by IonFan
                            (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                            Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                            If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                            Originally posted by Quaker
                            I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

In the not so distant past, I had the chance to buy the Batman Incorporated Damian Robin figure mint in the package for $5 and passed. Now, this figure is going for around $100. Man, I'm kicking myself for that.

Comment

Don't you hate that? When you pass on something you later want, and it skyrockets in price? It doesn't happen to me often, but it eats at me when it DOES.

Comment

Working...
                                X