No announcement yet.

DC's EARTH ONE Line Returns With GREEN LANTERN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm. I was honestly hoping for something more akin to a retelling of the classic origin story, the way a movie like Man of Steel did, since I would love to see a nicely streamlined Hal Jordan origin story again. This seems just a bit too different for me, but I imagine I will read it regardless. As Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I said, it seems like just another elseworlds story.

Comment

Earth One Green Arrow will be a 3rd place Olympic medal archer who's mother is killed in a terrorist attack during the games. Batman will actually fund his war on crime, hence the reason their MO is so similar. He'll also be an ethnic character more to the tune of Conner Hawke.

~//V\\~

(this would be a horrible idea BTW lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Dantius View Post
        Hmmm. I was honestly hoping for something more akin to a retelling of the classic origin story, the way a movie like Man of Steel did, since I would love to see a nicely streamlined Hal Jordan origin story again. This seems just a bit too different for me, but I imagine I will read it regardless. As Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I said, it seems like just another elseworlds story.
        I figure as long as these stories can stay contained (or quarantined) to their line of graphic novels, they aren't hurting anything by going so far off the reservation.

Comment

A few more details from the description on Amazon:

Hal Jordan yearns for the thrill of discovery, but the days when astronaut and adventure were synonymous are long past. His gig prospecting asteroids for Ferris Galactic is less than fulfilling--but least he's not on Earth, where technology and culture have stagnated. He might be a nobody, but he's in space.

When Jordan finds a powerful ring, he also finds a destiny to live up to. There are worlds beyond his own, unlike anything he ever imagined. But revelation comes with a price: the Green Lantern Corps has fallen, long since murdered by ruthless killing machines known as Manhunters. The odds against reinstating the Corps are nearly impossible...but doing the impossible is exactly what an astronaut like Hal Jordan was trained to do.

Comment

That's kind of interesting. I am surprisingly not offended by any of this.

Comment

I can kinda see why it's getting compared to the early Kyle era.

~//V\\~

Comment

Cool I pre-ordered...long wait until March 2018!
                http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

First Look: GREEN LANTERN: EARTH ONE

Comment

I can get behind the new origin, it needed a modern spin, making Hal an astronaut makes sense. I can't wait to see the Manhunter redesign; I'm thinking something like Terminator mixed with Predator. It should inform us how they might tackle the next GL movie as well. I personally struggle (in my imagination) with the idea of making the concept of magic rings, and GL as a whole, appealing to someone coming into it cold. I think that's the big hurdle, it's a tough sell, and major changes to it will need to happen while still retaining the core of the character, and the sense of space adventure and inspiring heroism in the face of overwhelming odds. It could be great, they just need to be careful with how they present it. The aliens need to be unique, the design needs to be crafted in a way that the causal viewer can look at it and go "yup that's from Green Lantern" in the way you can tell it's a Guardians of the Galaxy movie from the color palette....

Sorry I'm rambling, just excited for this book.
                    http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

EXCLUSIVE: HERE'S AN EXPLOSIVE SNEAK PEEK AT GREEN LANTERN: EARTH ONE

The art isn't new but there's an interview as well.

Comment

I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

I thought this was really well done. The art was excellent and the story was great as well. Definitely looking forward to volume 2.

I think some of the pacing was a little off here and there, but its up there with Batman as the best of the Earth One line in my opinion.

Comment

I liked it. The pacing didn't bother me. It was almost cinematic with quick action (like near the beginning) and exposition between. The art served this well.

The takes on characters we know was justifiably different for Earth One.

[some spoilers]

I like that the ring is weaker at first and no one knows how to properly use it. Kilowog asking Hal for pointers was a great twist on familiar GL concepts.

Overall, I was pleased and will also look forward to #2.

Comment

My LCS wasn't shipped as many as they ordered, so I didn't get one, since I waited until Thursday to come in. Hope that doesn't mean I'm out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                                My LCS wasn't shipped as many as they ordered, so I didn't get one, since I waited until Thursday to come in. Hope that doesn't mean I'm out of luck.
                                I got to my LCS around noon Wednesday and I got the last copy they had out, but I'm not sure if they had more.

Comment

Working...
                                X