Green Lantern: Blackstars by Grant Morrison and Xermanico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Lantern: Blackstars by Grant Morrison and Xermanico

Across the DC universe, come November 2019, once-familiar faces wielding Lantern power rings now wear a different uniform and enforce a new type of galactic law. The Green Lantern Corps is dead—long live the Blackstars in a new three-issue miniseries, Green Lantern: Blackstars, by Grant Morrison and Xermanico!
    Who are the Blackstars? What are they? Answers will be revealed as the unstoppable Blackstars set their sights on the demons of Ysmault, Mongul…and a tiny, backwater planet called Earth in Green Lantern: Blackstars #1. Paving the way for more exciting Green Lantern adventures in 2020, a dangerous new chapter of the Green Lantern mythology starts on November 6th.

“Oa is the skeleton-paved haunt of vengeful demons,” teases Morrison on the new project, “And the Blackstars—a sinister cult of universal peace and harmony, involving surrender to the will of the insidious and/or possibly illuminated Controller Mu—are in the process of subjugating the universe to their creed.”

Following the catastrophic events of The Green Lantern #12 by Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp, scheduled to hit shelves October 2nd, 2019, no Green Lanterns can be found patrolling their space sectors...not a single power ring lights the darkness! What happens in the finale of Morrison and Sharp’s incredible year-long run is shrouded in mystery, but the Green Lantern Corps is no more! Scratch that—they never existed in the first place. What has Hal Jordan done?

“Jordan’s one of the Blackstars’ primary operatives,” continues Morrison. “He’s central, although the Cosmic Vampire Countess Belzebeth vies with him for control of the narrative in Blackstars. Hal Jordan is the kind of man who will excel in any situation, so naturally he’s an elite Blackstar in this altered-continuity.”

Green Lantern: Blackstars #1, written by Grant Morrison with art by Xermanico, debuts in comic book stores and online retailers on Wednesday, November 6th with the first of three triptych covers by Liam Sharp and a variant cover by Darick Robertson.
    Hypo
    Lil' Leaguer
    Last edited by Hypo; 08-14-2019, 01:59 PM.

Huh. So time travel will be the undoing of the GLC, for 3 months it seems.

Comment

THIS is the big surprise? We just had Hal Jordan defeat the Blackstars, so "re-tread it again, Sam" is the order of the day? And I really dislike the "no power rings" line - no other Corps?

On the other hand, if 2020 is going to be a reboot year, or a movie year, this could explain much. It looks like the writers learned their lesson from 2015 and the situation telling everyone about the reboot early put them in for 7 months of no-selling comics.

Comment

I assume the timeline will be put back in it's proper place either by the end of this 3 part mini series, or GL #13 when that comes out in February.

And yes, I know that's insinuating that DC even pays attention to their timeline, which we know they don't. More like what Morrison is doing in this title will be course corrected. Unless of course he plans on doing something risky and really trippy for his 2nd season.

Comment

Comment

Darn, I thought we were done with the Blackstars. I didn't find that storyline all that appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
              And I really dislike the "no power rings" line - no other Corps?
              For decades that's been like the go-to with Hal. Running out of stuff to do with him? No problem! De-power him and/or take away his ring for a while. Then it can be triumphant when he puts it back on in a few months. This doesn't even seem that different than just a little while ago when he wore the big duster jacket and the Krona power gauntlet.

*yawn*

Comment

Pretty much called it.

Comment

I predict that Hal will defeat some terrible menace without his ring. And it'll be, "See what a BADASS this guy is? Wow!"

Comment

Hey! Those are some of the best times! I love it when Hal has to man up and solve a problem with no power ring.

Comment

Oh dear, oh dear. How much do you gents all miss Geoff Johns now? A lot, but you won't admit it. I bet you're all wishing for his next big event now instead of this probably drug-induced snooze-fest.
                      Tell me you hate your boyfriend and love me.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.

Comment

Green Lantern: Blackstars Art by Xermanico

Comment

Originally posted by HalFingJordan View Post
                          Oh dear, oh dear. How much do you gents all miss Geoff Johns now? F
                          Not me. Hell no. I actually couldn't be happier with Morrisons GL run. Hal is actually a space cop again. If I EVER see any of the super lame rainbow brigade Lanterns again it will be TOO soon. To be honest, looking back in hindsight, Johns' GL run should have ended with GL vol 4 #35 so my memory of him wouldn't be ruined by all the crap that was to follow.

Comment

This has potential. It's not likely to be landmark story, but the visuals look good and I'm always down for a Mongul tale.
                            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

I think the most important part is this:

Comment

Working...
                              X