Geoff Johns' delusions of grandeur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geoff Johns' delusions of grandeur

have anyone notice that for each comic he has taken over he makes everything bigger, greater (the number of character and faction, though not necessarily the story). just take a look at Superman, apparently having 3 (power girl is still a kryptonian though not of mainstream universe) kryptonian is not enough there needs to be more than 100000 of them more, and for their enemies, general sam lane an a planet full of magician.

having 3600 green lantern is not enough, we now have more than 7200 GL, plus scores of other lanterns (sinestro has at least 3600 member at the start of sinestro corps war) from every color of the rainbow (literally). with GL books he even thinks all the lantern is STILL not enough, he has to resurrect dead people.

I wonder, if he ever takes over batman books, maybe he'll have batman take over leagues of shadows and make an army of batmen.

when do you guys think enough is enough? when will geoff johns stopped adding new faction and character and use what he already have?

Originally posted by superpc View Post
    have anyone notice that for each comic he has taken over he makes everything bigger, greater (the number of character and faction, though not necessarily the story). just take a look at Superman, apparently having 3 (power girl is still a kryptonian though not of mainstream universe) kryptonian is not enough there needs to be more than 100000 of them more, and for their enemies, general sam lane an a planet full of magician.

having 3600 green lantern is not enough, we now have more than 7200 GL, plus scores of other lanterns (sinestro has at least 3600 member at the start of sinestro corps war) from every color of the rainbow (literally). with GL books he even thinks all the lantern is STILL not enough, he has to resurrect dead people.

I wonder, if he ever takes over batman books, maybe he'll have batman take over leagues of shadows and make an army of batmen.

when do you guys think enough is enough? when will geoff johns stopped adding new faction and character and use what he already have?
    if creators stopped and just used what we had, there would be no progression

no wally west, no barry allen, no justice league of america, no young justice, etc

no tim drake, no conner, etc

I applaud geoff
    HUNDRED'S OF COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE! http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=17568

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
      if creators stopped and just used what we had, there would be no progression

no wally west, no barry allen, no justice league of america, no young justice, etc

no tim drake, no conner, etc

I applaud geoff
      justice league is a compilation of previously existing heroes. what you said is geoff problem. other writer just content on adding new characters, wally west, tim drake, is only one character, while geoff feels the need of adding new faction with thousand of new character.

Comment

If it doesn't hurt the story and makes a natural sense then I'm fine with it. That being said, I don't think Geoff Johns could write a Batman story I would enjoy.

Comment

I really dont like the whole new krypton crap.

Comment

Originally posted by superpc View Post
            justice league is a compilation of previously existing heroes. what you said is geoff problem. other writer just content on adding new characters, wally west, tim drake, is only one character, while geoff feels the need of adding new faction with thousand of new character.
            but those characters would have never exisited, if a creator didnt evolve from what was already there.

such as firestorm, elongated man, red tornado, vixen and on and on.

your talking about geoff adding thousands. these thousands make page space, cannon fodder, etc. hes not focusing on 1,000's of characters where we need to know their names and stuff. every comic has a core group of characters and the corps still does as well

its a big universe and geoff is just filling it up.
            HUNDRED'S OF COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE! http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=17568

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
              If it doesn't hurt the story and makes a natural sense then I'm fine with it. That being said, I don't think Geoff Johns could write a Batman story I would enjoy.
              Originally posted by Old School View Post
              but those characters would have never exisited, if a creator didnt evolve from what was already there.

such as firestorm, elongated man, red tornado, vixen and on and on.

your talking about geoff adding thousands. these thousands make page space, cannon fodder, etc. hes not focusing on 1,000's of characters where we need to know their names and stuff. every comic has a core group of characters and the corps still does as well

its a big universe and geoff is just filling it up.
              in the case of green lantern i can understand. it really is a big universe and before GL and more so GLC i never even realize how huge the scope of DC universe really is. adding all those new faction to this universe is fitting.

but he doesn't have to do that in all his books. i don't think new krypton is necessary, all the basic idea of storyline presented in new krypton can still be presented with existing characters without the need of adding 100000 kryptonian.

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                agreed. While I like Johns when it comes to events like The Blackest Night I feel that in a regular series that's just trying to tell stories his stuff becomes a bit muddled. Batman is all about personal stories with more emotion than action and epicness.

Always wanted to see a main Batman Azzarello series as it is now. I liked Broken City, and would like to see his take on the current goings-ons of the Batman storyline.
                JohnnyV
                Pictionary Master
                Last edited by JohnnyV; 09-11-2009, 03:01 PM.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

I haven't been reading the Superman stuff... but isn't New Krytpon populated by the previously bottled city of Kandor? Making it not new at all.... or am I wrong?

Comment

I'm glad we have a GLC back again. It was such a bummer when we lost everything with Emerald Twilight. They tried to give us substitute corps but it never worked. Finally we have the GLC back and it makes sense that they would have partners, just like cops. I'm glad to see how it works out. With World of Krypton, that was a writer's compilation on Superman, so Geoff might be the main man or not behind it, but who said that it will last forever. Remember one of Superman's tag lines is "Sole surviver of a doomed planet." I personally look forward to Geoff John's writing Batman. I think he could really spice up Batman's villains and give Bruce or Dick some really good insights.

Delusions of Grandeur indeed, especially when a GL event is the #1 book on Diamond's sales charts. I hope he has more.
                    White Lantern's Oath

From the center of all that is right,
                    To that which challenges all your might,
                    Never fade or give into strife,
                    Don't let it end...Live Your Life!

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern View Post
                      I'm glad we have a GLC back again.
                      Thank Tomasi (when he was editor) and Gibbons for that, not Geoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                        Thank Tomasi (when he was editor) and Gibbons for that, not Geoff.
                        I think he is referring to the organization, not necessarily the book. Geoff IS responsible for the organization being revived (though I'm pretty sure that, had he not done it, some one else would have. Everything was leading that way even before Rebirth.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                          I think he is referring to the organization, not necessarily the book. Geoff IS responsible for the organization being revived
                          Nope.

1. The idea and basis for the Corps revival/Hal Jordan resurrection came from the then-editor Peter Tomasi, not Geoff.
                          2. The Central Power Battery was already restored pre-Rebirth & Geoff.
                          3. The base Corps was already in place... Kyle, John, and Kilowog were all alive and active Green Lanterns pre-Rebirth & Geoff.
                          4. The Guardians were already resurrected pre-Rebirth & Geoff.
                          5. The actual Green Lantern Corps were rebuilt in "Green Lantern Corps: Recharge," not Rebirth... and that was only co-written by Geoff.

Comment

Nope.

1. The idea and basis for the Corps revival/Hal Jordan resurrection came from the then-editor Peter Tomasi, not Geoff.
                            3. The base Corps was already in place... Kyle, John, and Kilowog were all alive and active Green Lanterns pre-Rebirth & Geoff.
                            5. The actual Green Lantern Corps were rebuilt in "Green Lantern Corps: Recharge"... which was only co-written by Geoff.

and thats that, this is why andrew is in charge here.

Comment

Nope.

5. The actual Green Lantern Corps were rebuilt in "Green Lantern Corps: Recharge," not Rebirth... and that was only co-written by Geoff.
                              Like I said, things were already heading that direction, and so would have gotten there without Geoff. But you are being deliberately obtuse to deny that Geoff is the one who actually wrote them back into being.

Comment

Working...
                              X