Could WB and Fox...?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could WB and Fox...?!

Could the two media giants cross over the characters Marvel/Disney won't put into their merchandise and video games? If Marvel can work out stuff with Sony to use Spidey in Lego Avengers.... could WB/Fox cross the characters over in something like Lego Justice League/X-Men or Lego Superman/Fantastic 4? Been wondering this for awhile now cause I really miss the X-Men in the Lego games and I wondered if Fox co-produced it they could make something happen? Even a standalone Lego X-Men/Fantastic 4 game would be nice...

~//V\\~

Whatever happened to make that a problem? I seem to recall pretty much ALL those characters appearing in Lego Marvel Superheroes. What changed to make them leave them out? Was it just that the storylines of the newer game were specifically movie based for the most part, so they couldn't use characters that didn't appear in the shared movie universe, whereas the earlier game was more comic based, so it could have anybody that was in the comics?

Comment

Spiderman was originally not a part of the game until news broke that Sony and Marvel Studios came to an agreement. Then a Spiderman pack was free DLC. I assumed it had more to do with Marvel not pushing characters they don't make all the $$$ off of. I remember that being the reason Wolverine and the X-Men TAS was cancelled, cause Marvel was having to pay Fox off to use their own characters. Rather than continuing to pay to use their own characters, they just quit using the F4 and X-Men across the board. Same reason we haven't got any new X-Men toylines and the X characters were removed from Marvel vs Capcom 3.

So if Marvel won't pay to make stuff happen, could Fox presumably get the bill for a standalone X-Men or F4 Lego game? Lego is owned by WB Games anyway, so it's not like they weren't already making money from the competition. Just imagine a JL/X-Men game that also tied into the Access character and making Amalgams?!?

~//V\\~

Comment

When I saw the thread title, I thought this would be about maybe a show on Fox (which they could probably do). Fox has rights to live action Batman TV (I believe this was a deal struck for releasing the Adam West Batman on DVD) and the X-men and Fantastic Four. I doubt it would ever happen, but you never know.

Though it's all pretty gray regarding the X-men on Fox. If not for the division between Marvel's TV and movie dept, I doubt we'd be seeing Legion and Gifted. My understanding was that the X-men and F4 are movies only, but a deal must have been struck for the previously mentioned series to be produced.

As for the topic itself, I guess when it comes to Lego, it's a pretty decent possibility. More likely what will happen is Fox and Marvel's relationship will continue to improve and the X-men will be in the games.
        MEH

Comment

I'd be content if Fox wanted to make their own expanded media-verse though with the two franchises and cross them over more frequently. Remember those old comics that had Spiderman showing you how to read Interlac in the corner of an adds page in a DC comic? I just wish DC would have that kinda relationship with Marvel again, even if it's just Fox owned Marvel.

People always wonder how DC would work into things if Marvel/Disney bought them, but now I'm wondering how the X-Men and F4 would fit into the DC multiverse....

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by Gray Lantern View Post
            ...Fox has rights to live action Batman TV (I believe this was a deal struck for releasing the Adam West Batman on DVD)...
            Years ago I heard that West and Ward had taped some commentaries for the '66 show in case a deal was ever struck (and before senility or death made it impossible). Then the deal was made, but the blu ray set (which is otherwise excellent) does not include even one episode with commentary. Now, I wonder if that was all a false rumor or if Fox is holding out for some super special edition down the line.

Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 03-17-2017, 03:13 AM.

Comment

I guess my point is that LEGO already made a game that included X-men AND Avengers AND Spiderman AND Deadpool and the Fantastic Four. It was called LEGO Marvel Superheroes. The more recent game didn't include all those characters, but I was skeptical of the idea that it was because it COULDN'T use them for some legal reason, since I'm not sure what would have changed legally since the other game came out. I figured it was more about the fact that the more recent game was explicitly based on events from the MCU, and so only used characters contained therein (with Spiderman being added as DLC because Spiderman was in Civil War, but the game didn't cover those events, so a DLC made more sense).

Comment

Pretty sure if Spiderman is in anything other than comics, Sony gets money. Any time the X-Men or F4 are in something, Fox gets money. So if Marvel won't use X-Men or F4 in video games anymore, could Fox produce an X-Men or F4 game and just give Disney/Marvel a similar cut?

~//V\\~

Comment

Oh sure, in that sense there's a legal reason, but that same legal reason applied when they made the first LEGO Marvel game, so clearly that reason alone isn't what is stopping such a game, since it happened once before.

Comment

No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                      Oh sure, in that sense there's a legal reason, but that same legal reason applied when they made the first LEGO Marvel game, so clearly that reason alone isn't what is stopping such a game, since it happened once before.
                      Greed. The mouse wants all the money and doesn't think it should have to share.

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
                      X