New Solo DC Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Solo DC Series?

Hawkman, Green Lantern, Batgirl, Catwoman, Aquaman, and other DCU mainstays have all had solo monthly comics for a bit. Howerver there's so much more out there that could be explored in the broader DCU. Are there any characters you want to see get a shot who don't usually get the added exposure?

I've mentioned before how I'd have already made Bronze Tiger a solo star by now. Beast Boy is somebody else I'd love to see solo more often. If Starfire and Raven can both get books, as well as Cyborg.... yeah Beast Boy should've been tried by now.

The Question could use a series post-Rebirth to fix him. Maybe bring back a Kirby classic like Manhunter or the Guardian?

Captain Marvel would probably be my top choice, but he's slated for a new title.

Comment

I was going to say the Question and you brought him up!

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing another Atom book. Ray and Ryan could easily share the spotlight.

And give Steve Orlando another Aztek solo series already.

Comment

I'd be down for an extremely brutal and graphic Wild Dog series

...or how about a REAPER series? I was thinking since they wiped his continuity they could write him into Gotham history as predating Batman as a vigilante when the city was first being settled and expanded; except REAPER obviously has no problem killing people. I imagine him as kind of a white wig Puritan judge during the day, crime-fighter by torch light. I think you could tie it into the Court of Owls stuff and have kind of a Victorian era grim crime fighting comic that could also touch on other areas of DC history during that time period in interesting ways.
          BLACK HAND
          Green Lantern Initiate
          Last edited by BLACK HAND; 11-21-2018, 07:28 PM.
          http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
            I wouldn't mind seeing another Atom book. Ray and Ryan could easily share the spotlight.

And give Steve Orlando another Aztek solo series already.
            I'd love to see them do something with both Atoms as well. How was the female Aztek in that JLoA title Orlando was writing? I never finished out the series, I just read how it ended and likely lead into something we'll never see.

Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
            I'd be down for an extremely brutal and graphic Wild Dog series

...or how about a REAPER series? I was thinking since they wiped his continuity they could write him into Gotham history as predating Batman as a vigilante when the city was first being settled and expanded; except REAPER obviously has no problem killing people. I imagine him as kind of a white wig Puritan judge during the day, crime-fighter by torch light. I think you could tie it into the Court of Owls stuff and have kind of a Victorian era grim crime fighting comic that could also touch on other areas of DC history during that time period in interesting ways.
            Reaper would be cool and I love stuff set in Gotham before Batman was around. One reason I miss Alan Scott in the mainstream universe's golden age.

I just read the New Age of Heroes titles are getting cancelled, so I hope if they don't get 2nd volumes some of them show up in something like DC Presents or a new volume of Adventure Comics. Damage and Sideways have both been really good. Its a damn shame they promote these books for five minutes then push them to the side when there's stuff always happening with the rest of their universe. Heroes in Crisis, Doomsday Clock, everything Bendis is doing in the DCU, other higher profile characters getting reworked like a solo Red Hood, Aquaman and Nightwing apparently getting amnesia in different ways... how in the hell is 'Sideways vs Bolt and a still undeveloped Dark Star Sciences' supposed to compete with all of that?

If the DCU streaming service reworks their comic library and what's available they could promote some of these comics a little more. Let DC pick like 10 comics subscribers can read for a particular month,then another handful of older comic runs to promote characters like Bats and Supes and everybody wins.

Comment

I could go for an Atom series. Starring Ray Palmer of course.

Maybe another go at The Spectre with Jim Corrigan.

Comment

I think I'd be most interested in seeing Amethyst. Renae De Liz did a cool looking pitch for the New 52 series, I think it was. DC didn't take it and went with something much less interesting. I've always wanted to see what she would do with Amethyst. You can find her pitch information here, along with some artwork.

http://comicsalliance.com/renae-de-liz-amethyst-pitch/
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Amethyst is an interesting choice. I always had a softspot for the mystical corner of the DCU.

Anyone ever like Arion Lord Of Atlantis? I had the entire series from the 80s. Good stuff.

Comment

Amethyst is a member of the new Young Justice, I think. I don't know if that makes a new solo series more or less likely.

Comment

I think the only reason she's in Young Justice is because TPTB see things making waves like Steven Universe and Star vs The Forces of Evil and think they can cash in on something somewhat similar.

Comment

But wouldn't an Amethyst solo series retooled into something more like those be the better bet?

Comment

Not when they can shoehorn it into a title with Superboy and Robin 3.0 with a creator like Bendis. A solo series wasn't well received the last time around and DC is taking another gamble with Dial H and Wonder Twins already.

Comment

Amethyst and Young Justice are two totally different things, even if you put Amethyst on Young Justice. If DC/WB's plan is to cash in on Amethyst (which is a good idea) by putting her on Young Justice, while failing to concentrate on Amethyst individually, I think that is wrong headed. My reasons:

I'm not sure how that current She-Ra cartoon is doing because I'm not following it yet (dunno' if I will, because every time I hear about it, I hear about how it is "agenda driven", and I'm more interested in escapist fantasy from my cartoons than sociopolitical statements, but I will give it a chance myself), but if it proves really successful then I think it is a better idea for WB to launch and market Amethyst by herself. Amethyst is a solo female hero with completely her own identity and world, and a long history. Right now that is not the type of character you sequester away on a team behind Robin (Batman sidekick) and Superboy (Superman derivative) if you're smart, because there aren't a lot of characters like that at DC and Marvel. And as mentioned, things that are similar-ish to Amethyst are popular now.

I think it would be wise for DC to develop (good) content for Amethyst in comics even if they take a loss on it, because I really believe Amethyst has the potential (more than many, many other DC properties) to be a smash success in other media right now (namely cartoons) if she isn't botched.

Also, packaging her with Young Justice... eh... I wouldn't mind that idea, but I would really prefer if Amethyst were developed more for audiences on her own first. She isn't your typical DC superhero from my point of view. In my mind, she's closer to something like Sailor Moon, or, I at least think she should be. I think my reservation is that I'd hate to see her lumped in with your typical heroes and shadowed by that genre when she has something much different to offer in an area where DC hasn't offered a lot. Essentially, a really whimsical fairy tale magical girl adventure in a fantastic setting. If you package Amethyst with Young Justice, that aspect will be greatly diminished, and it will be just another superhero thing. I mean, it would have to be unless every story is Amethyst focused, which would be weird and bad for something like Young Justice.

About the previous Amethyst series, it was really the wrong direction for Amethyst. It was some edgy, "dark"... thing, with typical superhero comic art. Again, I see Amethyst as something quite different, but whoever was behind the New 52 series saw her as just another New 52 DC Comic... but with magic and a girl.
                            Star-Lantern
                            Weaponer of Qward
                            Last edited by Star-Lantern; 11-27-2018, 11:06 PM.
                            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                              ...Anyone ever like Arion Lord Of Atlantis? I had the entire series from the 80s. Good stuff.
                              Arion is an important backstory in the current Drowned Earth crossover, btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X