View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 04:27 AM   #1389
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
That kind of predatory publishing is one of the signs of the end times for the industry. Sheer self preservation on Marvel's part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
On one hand, if people are stupid enough to buy them, then it's hard for me to object to the companies selling them.

But on the other had, this stuff is attracting the wrong people to the industry. Do the comics companies really want these to be the people who will dictate the content of their products? I don't foresee good outcomes from that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
It's the stores that buy them. We have no guarantee that they then sell all their copies through to their customers.
It's another aspect of comic book publishing that keeps the industry afloat. Variant cover collectors look at them as a particular form of art, much in the same way that card collectors might buy a dozen or more variants of a Pokémon/Sports/Garbage Pail Kids card. To those of us who put storytelling first, that might seem a little weird, but I don't want VCCs to go away.