You've seen the movie now post your thoughts SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You've seen the movie now post your thoughts SPOILERS

With advance screenings starting for general audiences Wednesday the 15th.
    I decided to create this thread so people can post their opinions and thoughts on parts of the film and not accidentally spoil the movie for someone.
    1.28%
    8.33%
    28.85%
    45.51%
    16.03%

Those of you getting back from screenings remeber post thoughts here to avoid spoiling for someone that doesn't want to be spoiled

Comment

Briefly....it had some cheesy parts, but the epic parts and the idea of seeing the green lantern on the big screen out weighed it. The theater crowd was quiet for the movie but roared when it ended, and especially when Sinestro had this "mid credits" scene stealing moment.

Sarsgaard was good as Hammond, especially once the mutation took hold. Sadly Kilowogs entire performance was in the previews

Typing from my phone so Ill keep it brief. A fun movie, probably a 6/10 overall. The earth stuff was the weakest and hopefully will be minimalist in the potential sequel.

Comment

I saw it tonight, as well. After thinking long and hard, I can sum it up in two words:

Rent it.

Full review will be forthcoming on my blog in a few days.
        The last fan of 1990s comics
        Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
          I saw it tonight, as well. After thinking long and hard, I can sum it up in two words:

Rent it.

Full review will be forthcoming on my blog in a few days.
          awe thats sad that the its to be rented, but as said up there, the fact that our boy wearing our symbol is on the big screen, my fraternity brothers are taking me to the midnight premiere tonight!!!

Comment

It's just his opinion no need to take it as your own.

Comment

Exactly. Go see it, and make of it what you will! I'm already bracing myself.
              The last fan of 1990s comics
              Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Here is a more in-depth review that touches on spoilers but isn't too spoiler heavy. I put this over on CBR and sent it to Aint it Cool too. So we'll see

I saw it last night at the WMMR Philly early sneak preview.

POST FILLED WITH SPOILERS.

This is a fun film, guys. I understand (after reading negative reviews) why some people don't really get it, and I understand that it isn't for everyone. But going into this movie expecting to see another 'Dark Knight' or anything on that level is utterly unrealistic. Even 'Batman Begins' appears flawed next to its successor.

That isn't to say that Green Lantern isn't flawed, however. The first 15 minutes and the final 15 minutes are EPIC and awesome. From the (altered) introduction to Parallax to the final confrontation against him, it really just fires on all cylinders and clicks. Everything about Oa, and the training sequence with Kilowog and Sinestro is FANTASTIC and utterly engaging. It grabs your attention (comic fan or not) and it holds it. Because the world is so new, refreshing, and the journey along with Hal Jordan is engaging.

When he comes home to Earth, and nearly all of the scenes with Carol Ferris...that is where the movie sinks. I'm not sure what happened to the actress that was so fantastic in 'The Town' but Blake Lively just didn't work for me as Carol Ferris. It wasn't on the level of Tara Reid being a world class physicist or some such, or Denise Richards as a super-brainy Bond girl...but something about the character didn't click. In fact, the only scenes I felt she was pretty decent in were in the bar, and on the balcony when they mock The Dark Knight a little bit. Her reaction is priceless, and her line was a riot in the theater.

Sinestro = perfect. You can see Mark Strong got the character, and put a lot of passion into it. You can almost see him simmering underneath.

MCD as Kilowog was pretty good, and his voice worked with the character. But both Tomar-Re and Kilowog are in the film for nearly the amount of time they were in the trailers and released scenes.

It was a very uneven movie for me. Oa/Green Lantern Corps stuff was fantastic. Borderline brilliant. Earthbound stuff and Hector Hammond seemed shoe-horned into the film and rushed. His "craving" of Carol Ferris was only touched on so briefly I wondered why they included it all together.

All in all, the movie itself was average. It was an easily accessible origin movie for the Green Lantern franchise and it coughed up exposition that a potential sequel would be gung-ho from the beginning much in the same vein that X-Men was OK at best, but X2 was brilliant on a whole new level.

Comic Book Movies I'd rank above Green Lantern: The Dark Knight, Iron Man, X-Men: First Class, Thor, Spiderman 2

Comic Book Movies I'd rank beneath Green Lantern: Iron Man 2, Spiderman 3, Fantastic Four, X-Men: Wolverine

And movies I'd say are on the same level as Green Lantern: Spiderman, Superman Returns, and the first X-Men. All solid films with pacing problems and misfires of balancing the 'origin' with the excitement.

I'd give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

Breaking it down further,
                Green Lantern Oa/GLC parts: 9/10
                Green Lantern Earth parts: 4/10

Taking so much time on Earth was a huge mistake, because as the movie plays on...all you want to do is see this hero rise and become a part of something more. You want to see him overcome his daddy problems (ehhhh) and become a great Green Lantern. But it could've been done throughout the universe and elsewhere, only climaxing with the potential Earthly destruction at the hands and heads of Parallax. They just did it wrong.

Hope you enjoyed the review!

In the end -- Go see it. It's not a gritty, realistic Dark Knight type of movie. It is a summer, fun-going, actiony, popcorn flick. It works, overall. Just not the entire time.

Comment

Glad to hear, on every other board everybody claims it's going to be a disaster (which I disagree with).

Comment

I posted the following on the non-spoiler discussion board as well:

Well, it won't be too long till most on the board will have seen it now. I'll be curious to see what everyone else thinks. For myself, I quite enjoyed it. Sure there's rough spots. I think the issues with editing will be apparent. In fact that's really my only major complaint - at times characters will just "crash" into eachother's scenes with what looks like an explanation for the meetings excised (I think you'll see what I mean).

On the flip slide you get some great contructs and some nifty GL training scenes (particularly I would think for the non-spoiled - some of the action scenes don't last that long so I figure those that may have previewed clips will already have seen some of the fun.

For myself, I was particularly impressed by the Hal as a non-superhero scenes. The first trailer had me worried about the humour in the movie but I
                    thought it was pulled off very well. I think Reynolds has alot more charisma than some recent superhero leads and it comes through. No complaints regarding Lively's performance either. If anything, I thougth Hammond was the weak link in the non-cosmic side (moreso the structure of how his story was integrated than anything inherentlly bad in the performance).

I will say that actually liking Green Lantern probably plays a large role in liking the movie. I've heard reviewers say they didn't care for the minor characters, the Corps etc. So perhaps already having an affinity for Tomar-re, Kilowog and the rest helped Sure, maybe not the best thing to say about welcoming newcomers, but that's not me, so as a movie for a Green Lantern fan, job well done.

In the end, I liked it and if indeed we don't get another GL movie, I'm pretty happy with the one we got.

Comment

http://youtu.be/Btp3fU4MMW4

Someone earlier in this thread said close to the same things, but i thought i'd share the best review that i've seen yet ... As far as reviewing the critics reviews, i'd give this one a 10/10 rating ... The dude is right on all counts ...

I saw the movie on the 15th at an unofficial and FREE 'screening' of it, and will lay my hard earned cash on the counter tomorrow to see it with people who actually pay to get in ...

Comment

Okay, been waiting a couple of years for this one.

Not disappointed.

Is it the greatest comic book movie ever? Nope.

But overall it does a pretty good job introducing the character and explaining a lot of background. The special effects are excellent. The pacing is a little off here and there.

I've read some reviews that complain about nonsensical things. For instance, one review stated that they didn't explain why Parallax detoured to Earth instead of going after Oa. That was explained, though you had to be paying attention. Parallax sensed that Hammond was possessed and then sensed Abin Sur's ring and was seeking vengeance against the ring that had imprisoned him.

Parallax was explained. The Guardians are explained. Jordan's internal conflict and doubt is explored.

The truth is, for a film that runs under two hours there is a lot packed in.

Hammond's interest in Carol Ferris is obvious early on, though Campbell clearly expects the audience to be paying attention to the newspaper clippings highlighting Carol's career that he focuses the camera on.

Is the film perfect? No. In some ways it does try to do too much, but the characters are played well and are interesting.

As for the critics, I've found that they often complain when a film doesn't fully explain everything. Maybe they don't like the inclusion of Thomas Kalmaku as a confidant. But I think Campbell respected his audience and figured they could figure things out.

The people I went with are unfamiliar with GL and they got it completely - had several questions afterwards about some GL background, but they picked up every element of the story.

To those that complain about Parallax, I think this worked well. He grows as he consumes fear, thus he is a massive blob entity. His story is well explained.

I think some people might have been expecting The Dark Knight. But this was a fun and funny movie. The humor was handled just right and they didn't go over the top. The movie moved at a good clip and started out with a bang. The introduction didn't feel long like some had said it did and Hal Jordan became GL a lot more quickly than many other comic characters assumed their heroic identity (Spiderman, Ironman, Batman (Begins iteration), and Superman all took 45 minutes to an hour).

There are some great DC Universe kudos in the movie to look for too.

You could definitely say that some characters were underused. Sinestro was played brilliantly by Mark Strong but was not used much. Tomar Re and Kilowog were brief encounters because this was a Hal Jordan story. So if you wanted to see the Corps in action then you'll have to wait. They want you to get to know Jordan first - which is exactly what happened when he was introduced in the Silver Age.

I'd put this film on par with Batman Begins, though with a much shorter running time. It gives us a glimpse into Hal Jordan's past and shows is how he overcomes his fear. It's an enjoyable movie. I'd have liked to see more of what we saw at the end of the film, but I think this is just the warmup.

Comment

I liked it a lot but it should have been longer and I didn't expect the Green Lantern Corps to be almost nonexistent and some even getting killed. Just about everything could have used more screen time. I got goosebumps when Sinestro put on the yellow ring. I hope there is a sequel and it mostly takes place in space and other worlds.
                          MySpace | My musical taste - Last.FM | My YouTube Channel

Comment

I REALLY enjoyed this movie. I didnt go in expecting a masterpiece, I got exactly what I wanted: An extremly fun movie that brought these characters to life and paid homage to the comics. I was in awe for many parts of the movie, and let me say the scene during the credits was AWESOME!!

Comment

ok just got home... im tired so this will be a short review

heres my pros and cons and ill start with the pros first

pros
                              abin's scenes

the hal and father relationship i liked alot and though well done and resembled more of the no fear graphic novel.

ryan reynolds and blake did a good job

mark strong was ace as sinestro

cgi was good and the constructs i thought were amazing.

most importantly... the special suprise at the end that made me and the rest of the audiance clap.
                              .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
                              the cons

sinestro didnt get that much time

sadly the guardians didnt look finished to me at all...

hate to say it but hector hammond did kinda make me bored and that kills me to admit it as a gl fan.

but overall for a first film it was pretty damn wild and good.

even the people i went with who dont know the charachter admitted they wanted more.

i would give this film a solid 6.5 or 7 out of 10

id love to get a 2nd film and if it does happen i hope they focus on the awsome executed scene that involves a tease and not add some 2nd rate villain.
                              TazzMission
                              Guardian of the Universe
                              Last edited by TazzMission; 06-17-2011, 08:02 AM.
                              .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Working...
                              X