No announcement yet.

Movie costume.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a picture some one photo shoped of the Movie costume where the dark Greens Were black and the gloves where white and I thought it made it look a little better.

Movie costumes is a really hard thing. Everyone has an idea in thier head of what is right and what is wrong with them. It weird because I have a friend who hates spandex costumes. Wich to an extent I get,but I personally think leather costumes are far more cheesy. Because it restricts motion.

Or How I like 89 Batman suit,but I agree with the people who point out if you are going to fight crime realsticlly you need to be able to turn your head. Movie costumes designer is a job I do not envy.
    Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Well it's better than what we got.....

Originally posted by IonFan
      (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
      Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
      If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
      Originally posted by Quaker
      I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

I honestly liked the Green Lantern movie suits and thought they looked good. I mean just look how skinny Sinestro would've been if he didn't have a cgi suit! haha
        + YouTube Video
        ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
        Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

Sinestro's meant to be skinny.
          If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
            I saw a picture some one photo shoped of the Movie costume where the dark Greens Were black and the gloves where white and I thought it made it look a little better.
            I did this when the photo first came out...

And of course this is how Star Sapphire should have looked had she appeared...
            Kane2814
            Weaponer of Qward
            Last edited by Kane2814; 09-16-2015, 06:52 PM.

Comment

That mask would have made all the difference. In fact that whole colour scheme is just better. Why DC, why.

Comment

I will probably enlist a great deal of hate for this, but I personally loved the design of the 2011 suit. Believe it or not, I also legitimately like the fact that it was CGI. But I will explain...

The suit is meant to be made of energy. Having it 100% CGI gives it a very unearthly feel and makes it stand out from your usual superhero costume. It solidifies the fact that GL is a space-based superhero with a suit generated from energy projected from a ring created by aliens. I also loved the smoky green glow effects.

As for the design, I personally am happy to see the absence of the white gloves. As a suit made of energy, it makes sense that the suit is purely green, with areas of very dark green to resemble black to break it up slightly. I also liked the lining texture, as the suit's designer said she wanted it to look aerodynamic and to show off human anatomy. I personally love the idea that each Lantern's uniform is designed to show off their physiology, as it allows their species to stand out among the Corps.

However, as for what I would personally go for:

It would be tight like a second-skin, confirming to and outlining every bodily muscle and detail (except for certain obvious attributes). So mostly the classic tights there. The costume's design needs to show off the wearer's physiology, as I mentioned earlier.

No lining on the costume like the film. The green would be smooth, but it would have a noticeable wavy texture as energy seems to flow through it like gentle water. Imagine a texture like wood that seems to flow and sway. Waves of brighter energy would also emanate out from the emblem. However, the whole thing would have a slight shine to it.

I would have green gloves as the film did. As for whether or not the green would stop at the waist or descend downward between the legs like the classic leotard design I am unsure. (Thoughts? I actually kind of like the classic design as it covered the torso completely, which makes it seem like each different colour completely covers a different body part, which I kind of like.)

The black is simply a much darker green.

The whole thing glows with crackles and arcs of green energy. The green parts would also emit light themselves, so everywhere he goes would be slightly illuminated by the green glow of his costume.

The white around the logo would just be very brightly glowing green instead.

As for how I would make it in a movie, the costume would be full-body black tights, and the green would be added via CG. I believe that would keep it grounded while still giving it the unearthly alien effect I liked in the original.
                Dantius
                Kilowog's Recruit
                Last edited by Dantius; 06-19-2016, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dantius View Post
                  As for the design, I personally am happy to see the absence of the white gloves. As a suit made of energy, it makes sense that the suit is purely green, with areas of very dark green to resemble black to break it up slightly. I also liked the lining texture, as the suit's designer said she wanted it to look aerodynamic and to show off human anatomy. I personally love the idea that each Lantern's uniform is designed to show off their physiology, as it allows their species to stand out among the Corps.
                  I think most of the fan criticism about the suit (and certainly mine) was more of this failed anatomical look (the bacon suit as it was dubbed here) than the CGI per se.

Since the idea that the suit is a construct has ruled the day for years now in the comics I don't think anyone objects to that idea so much. Certainly I didn't hear anyone literally bemoaning the lack of spandex. I don't recall anyone saying the missing white gloves were a problem. There's a big contingent of anti-white gloves here.

Light/glow elements as such are fine. He just looked a little too nude and I'm not sure I ever bought that they looked like an under-the-skin model. Tomar's bumpy texture, for instance, looked much more like skin than muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    I think most of the fan criticism about the suit (and certainly mine) was more of this failed anatomical look (the bacon suit as it was dubbed here) than the CGI per se.

Since the idea that the suit is a construct has ruled the day for years now in the comics I don't think anyone objects to that idea so much. Certainly I didn't hear anyone literally bemoaning the lack of spandex. I don't recall anyone saying the missing white gloves were a problem. There's a big contingent of anti-white gloves here.

Light/glow elements as such are fine. He just looked a little too nude and I'm not sure I ever bought that they looked like an under-the-skin model. Tomar's bumpy texture, for instance, looked much more like skin than muscle.
                    The "Bacon Suit"? That is personally hilarious, and I definitely see where they are coming from. Indeed, I see what you mean, in that it did not really have the human muscle texture that they were possibly going for. I certainly would have fixed that if I could.

I have heard a few people expressing their deep-seated love for the white gloves, but I am glad this forum seems to be all for green gloves instead. Although a popular idea seems to be the idea of the uniform resembling armour, and while I see why they want that, it does not really seem fitting for a Corps of various alien species to me. Plus, the suit is still made of the same energy, so I doubt armour would be much more protection than the suit already offers.

I see what you mean about the suit making him look oddly naked. I cannot help but notice that the toes and naval are visible through the material as well. Though I am personally accepting of it for the most part. It is something I would imagine real aliens would do for their Corps members to, as I said, highlight the physiology of each species. Although something worth noting is that the reason so many superheroes in comics wear tights is because artists seem to be comfortable basically drawing naked anatomy first and then just colouring afterwards.

A funny thing about the aliens though. Several designers actually modelled the aliens naked first, and then literally just put black and green texture over their bodies. The same was done with Tomar-Re, which is why his suit looks more like his scales are just spray-painted green; because they are. Have a look at Tully Summer's portfolio to see several GLs in all their naked and untextured glory: http://www.tullysummers.com/works.html
                    Dantius
                    Kilowog's Recruit
                    Last edited by Dantius; 06-20-2016, 03:38 PM.

Comment

^I had never seen those concepts before, thanks. Of course, scales wouldn't help the argument since you would assume the equivalent of our muscles would be what's beneath the scales.

I have heard people suggest armor. I guess I was thinking strictly in terms of CGI vs. tights. Between those three options, I'd still pick CGI with a glow to it, but a little less anatomical than what we got. Really, though, the suit was not my #1 problem with that flick. If the plot had been solid, the pacing tight, and the lead villain great, the suit would have just come up under the category of "how it could have been a little better."

Comment

I thought what was dumb about the movie costume was that it SEEMED like it was obviously supposed to be essentially "painted on", based on every character except Hal, but for some reason they took what WOULD be a "painted on" suit on Abin Sur (who, if you recall DID have anatomy which resembled naked musculature, striations and all) and put the VERY SAME suit on Hal, despite the fact that his body does not have that texture at all. That might have made SOME sense if it had been a physical suit, but as a construct that seemed, in every other case, to just follow the exact contours of the subject's body, it made none.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                          I thought what was dumb about the movie costume was that it SEEMED like it was obviously supposed to be essentially "painted on", based on every character except Hal, but for some reason they took what WOULD be a "painted on" suit on Abin Sur (who, if you recall DID have anatomy which resembled naked musculature, striations and all) and put the VERY SAME suit on Hal, despite the fact that his body does not have that texture at all. That might have made SOME sense if it had been a physical suit, but as a construct that seemed, in every other case, to just follow the exact contours of the subject's body, it made none.
                          I am not sure I follow. I believe Abin Sur's suit did not resemble Hal's? Also, while the lines of Abin Sur's suit seem to somewhat resemble the texture of his skin, the texture is considerably different.

Although it is certainly worth noting that Sinestro's suit seemed less focused on anatomy and more focused on personality, which certainly fits him. Unless he just had a very warped musculature. So clearly his suit was not designed to reflect his anatomy. Whether that was his own decision on customisation or just the Ring somehow making the decision for him is unknown, I suppose.

Comment

Huh, y'know, you're right. I never looked at them side by side before. I just remembered that Abin's skin had the muscle fiber texture, and so did his suit, and that Hal's also had what looked like a muscle fiber texture (and not anything like his actual skin), and conflated them in my mind, even though they do look somewhat distinct.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                              Huh, y'know, you're right. I never looked at them side by side before. I just remembered that Abin's skin had the muscle fiber texture, and so did his suit, and that Hal's also had what looked like a muscle fiber texture (and not anything like his actual skin), and conflated them in my mind, even though they do look somewhat distinct.
                              Fear not. Indeed, Abin's looks more like a stylish marble-looking texture, whereas Hal's is... something. I too certainly thought it was an attempt at a muscle-like design, but does not seem to conform correctly to human muscle fiber shapes.

For DC Universe Online, the developers actually had a similar idea for Saint Walker's costume, and I personally feel the result is far superior. Ultimately though, they settled on something more simplistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dantius View Post
                                I will probably enlist a great deal of hate for this, but I personally loved the design of the 2011 suit. Believe it or not, I also legitimately like the fact that it was CGI. But I will explain...

The suit is meant to be made of energy. Having it 100% CGI gives it a very unearthly feel and makes it stand out from your usual superhero costume. It solidifies the fact that GL is a space-based superhero with a suit generated from energy projected from a ring created by aliens. I also loved the smoky green glow effects.

However, as for what I would personally go for:

It would be tight like a second-skin, confirming to and outlining every bodily muscle and detail (except for certain obvious attributes). So mostly the classic tights there. The costume's design needs to show off the wearer's physiology, as I mentioned earlier.

No lining on the costume like the film. The green would be smooth, but it would have a noticeable wavy texture as energy seems to flow through it like gentle water. Imagine a texture like wood that seems to flow and sway. Waves of brighter energy would also emanate out from the emblem. However, the whole thing would have a slight shine to it.

I would have green gloves as the film did. As for whether or not the green would stop at the waist or descend downward between the legs like the classic leotard design I am unsure. (Thoughts? I actually kind of like the classic design as it covered the torso completely, which makes it seem like each different colour completely covers a different body part, which I kind of like.)

The black is simply a much darker green.

The whole thing glows with crackles and arcs of green energy. The green parts would also emit light themselves, so everywhere he goes would be slightly illuminated by the green glow of his costume.

The white around the logo would just be very brightly glowing green instead.

As for how I would make it in a movie, the costume would be full-body black tights, and the green would be added via CG. I believe that would keep it grounded while still giving it the unearthly alien effect I liked in the original.
                                The concept of the film suit is good, on paper it sounds great. It's just that it was executed appallingly. Maybe if it was made ten or twenty years later it'd have been pulled off...

Comment

Working...
                                X