Space Cop
The Dandy

MST3K: The Killer Shrews (1959/1992)

"I think this movie just broke the goofy meter."

Hairspray (1988)

"Our souls are black even though our skin is white."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I mainly recall two big disappointments.

The Neverending Story, which I LOVED as a kid, and watched over and over, but as an adult found much of the acting to be painfully bad, particularly by the main child actor.

The Goonies, which I similarly adored as a child, really threw me off as an adult with the amount of profanity coming from those kids (somehow I didn't recall that at all), and also came across as badly ad-libbed in many spots, like the kids were just saying whatever came to mind. It still had some good stuff (as did The Neverending Story, to be honest), but it just seemed cringeworthy far too often.

I think it may just be cases where I had really hyped something up in my memory as the best thing ever. There are plenty of other movies from my childhood that I rewatched and enjoyed despite them being less than perfect, perhaps because I had not elevated them so much in memory.
Both of those movies are in my collection, but I get what you're saying. They each have positives and negatives.

The comparable movie for me would be Top Gun. When I was about nine I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Now, I see how cliched and over-the-top (no pun intended) it is. I can still enjoy it, though. I've adjusted my expectations.

As far as recommending stuff, I usually acknowledge no movie is for everyone. Even when I discuss my favorite movie, Highlander, I like to add that it is neither flawless nor everyone's taste.

If I were to talk about a movie from the past like that, I probably wouldn't say more than "I loved that as a child." I'm wondering about one myself. I remember loving the cartoon Dot and the Kangaroo as a little kid, but I haven't seen it decades (had to look up the title). Not sure if it's any good objectively or if I'd even like anything about it. I saw it at a dollar store once. Wish I had picked it up.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-04-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote