Green Lantern #48 Preview
    Writer: Robert Venditti
    Artists: Martin Coccolo & Billy Tan

0.00%
    12.50%
    62.50%
    25.00%
    0.00%

Mild spoilers, until more folks have had a chance to read this.

Ah, we start with the classic 'slightly' misleading cover.

The Nu 52 Renegade Green Lantern versus the heavily armored Batman stand-in, but not a whole lot to get excited about there.

In all, a classic 'boxcar' issue for serial fiction fans, gently moving the plot forward without any big starts or stops. Actually, not a ton of action, but an interesting and purposeful meltdown of sorts that is leading us well beyond the pages of this issue. Not sure about that yet, or if it was just a reminder of a Hal who can display a bit a temper.

The last few panels set-up a fascinating showdown which could take us a couple issues beyond the upcoming #50.

Not great, not quite worth the anticipation, but entertaining enough to give it about 3.5/5 on the fan scale of love.

Anyone pick up the variant coloring book cover? I did, but keeping my crayons in the box on this one. Cover artist Mike Allred could be an interesting GL artist choice, on a mini-series or something...

-Don
    “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

DC's legendary editors strike again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lundonj View Post
        In all, a classic 'boxcar' issue for serial fiction fans, gently moving the plot forward without any big starts or stops. Actually, not a ton of action, but an interesting and purposeful meltdown of sorts that is leading us well beyond the pages of this issue. . .
        The bit at the terrorist training camp was interesting, raising the stakes.
        Originally posted by Hypo View Post
        Cost City. Isn't that a discount store?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

ROFLMAO at this! Jordan's had one too many head conks! He's suffering from dain bramage!

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
            I was pretty surprised to see such a bad miss on their part, sometimes something in the middle of a pile of word balloons makes sense, but the error was not on a busy page.
            “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

Come on down to Cost City off Route 9, where Fear is Cheap!

Overall a great issue I thought. I like how Sonar actually seems pretty formidable.

I hope his nephew makes it, Hal has enough tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalorock View Post

Overall a great issue I thought. I like how Sonar actually seems pretty formidable.

I hope his nephew makes it, Hal has enough tragedy.
                Yeah, the Sonar update is cool and really close to his first appearance in GL volume two. Making the bad guys cool for the modern era is always good.

The line of the book for me was Parallax concluding that for Coast (erm, COST) City to survive, "Hal Jordan must die!"

So, the comic booky question of the day - is the Renegade power pack mightier than all of the GLC power flowing through Parallax?

-Don

Comment

Originally posted by Lundonj View Post

So, the comic booky question of the day - is the Renegade power pack mightier than all of the GLC power flowing through Parallax?
                  That seems unlikely, but we need some of those 90s-style cards that tell us the relative power levels of various characters.

Comment

Random thoughts:
                    -- the Batman appearance seemed pointless. There are other ways to get info.
                    -- I like the idea of updating Sonar. I like that he's still sore about the tiny size of his "postage stamp" country. The sonic bombs that are fueled by ambient noise are a clever idea.
                    -- I do NOT like that they appear to have eliminated GL's past with Sonar.
                    -- Parallax v. Hal could be a good story, but I have little faith that this is the writer to deliver one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane2814 View Post
                      I do NOT like that they appear to have eliminated GL's past with Sonar.
                      I was thinking about that too. When New 52 came along I assumed they would redo most of the first encounters with villains, but they actually haven't done that very often. They've usually gone with the good guy having an unseen history with the baddie.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane2814 View Post
                        Random thoughts:
                        -- the Batman appearance seemed pointless. There are other ways to get info.
                        Other than cover tease for extra sales, I agree it was a fairly pointless appearance, although I still like it whenever Hal finds a way to bug Batman or his stand in.

-- I like the idea of updating Sonar. I like that he's still sore about the tiny size of his "postage stamp" country. The sonic bombs that are fueled by ambient noise are a clever idea.
                        Venditti definitely went back and read Sonar's early appearances, it meshed in really well with the original appearance.

-- I do NOT like that they appear to have eliminated GL's past with Sonar.
                        Agreed, and it is the whole problem I have with New 52. Wildly inconsistent use of past continuity. Some writers, some books embrace some elements and ignore others. I do think this is what the focus of the potential reset in the spring - more Convergence/Multiuniversity stuff where all of the existing DC stories connect in some form or fashion. And really, Geoff Johns completely ignored the New 52 concept with this title. He simply continued the story he started in volume four without any real adjustments at all. Venditti may not have the same pull, it was very much a 'Nu' 52 cover, Renegade Hal v. Gordon Bats...

-- Parallax v. Hal could be a good story, but I have little faith that this is the writer to deliver one.
                        This arc certainly has the chance for Venditti to set a high mark on the series or miss altogether. I have a bit more faith. Not a lot more, but a bit. I really enjoyed how he utilized Sinestro earlier in the series to point out through dialogue how out of character Hal was. That was the spot where he seemed to start to feel slightly more comfortable with the series and Hal is acting more...like Hal.

-Don

Comment

I finally sat down and read annual #4 and GL #45-48 in one sitting, so I' now caught up. #48 wasn't actually bad, very passable story. I'm rolling my eyes at them bringing in a version of Parallax in time for another GL #50, but whatever. We'll see where it goes.

And thank the lord they finally got rid of that stupid long hair with the short bangs on Hal. Depending on the page, he either looked like a chick, or Bruce Dickenson.

Comment

I would be fine with Parallax being retired permanently. DC's continued use of him reminds me of Vince McMahon's insistence on pushing wrestlers who nobody cares about.

Comment

I remember that Bob Shreck once got the creative team wrong on the cover of Green Lantern for three issues in a row. He left soon after that. Coincidence? I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X