View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I agree with all that. Adding Kyle was a blunder but it's too late to undo that, so putting him in Titans is the best solution.

To me the best era of GL was with Hal, Guy and John -- Englehart through Jones. My biggest beef with Johns is that he depicted himself as the greet restorer, but in fact he didn't respect anything that any previous writer had done.
I more or less agree with that, too. Englehart to Jones is my favorite era, by far, barring that little period of time in Action Comics Weekly. I think moving Green Lantern over to that title was a big mistake, and I don't think I liked anything that happened there.

About Kyle Rayner... he's a mixed bag for me. I think that the quality of the Green Lantern book went way down hill near the end of Jones' run, likely due to Jones and Dooley having a poor working relationship. When Kyle Rayner came on board, the book got a lot better, at least while Ron Marz was writing it. I don't agree with a lot of what Marz/Dooley/editorial did, but I will admit that the quality of comic went considerably up compared to what Jones was doing at the time.

However, in the long run, I'm not sure if bringing in Kyle Rayner and destroying the Corps and all that other stuff was a wise decision. That was the start of when the fanbase seriously started to fracture, from what I can tell. Of course, a lot of that has to do with how it was all done, with Emerald Twilight and all, but I believe part of the "problem" has to do with Kyle Rayner's story being so disconnected from what had been going on, for better or worse.

Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, and John Stewart are/were really entwined with each other, so they kind of shared the same story. For example, Hal, Carol, and John all worked at Ferris Aircraft, and Hal, John, and Guy were all together in the Green Lantern Corps in the Englehart book. I mean, they often wound up sharing or trading girlfriends. That sounds really weird as I type it out, but... the Kyle Rayner stuff, again, for better or worse, was like something totally different.

Anyway, now you have fans of that Marz era who feel disenfranchised because Jade, Radu, and New York are never around anymore. So more people that are difficult to make happy.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote