Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #5 Preview
    Writer: Robert Venditti
    Artist: Ethan Van Sciver

0.00%
    0.00%
    42.86%
    57.14%
    0.00%

Were we supposed to understand why Soranik cut and stitched Hal? She said it was for his good, but I still don't get what that's all about, unless I missed something.

The issue was pretty decent. I like how it built up to show the power of will all around.

And EVS' stuff was great (of course).

Comment

I thought the implication was that his last fight left him really messed up and she was taking extreme measures to heal him QUICKLY, at the expense of great pain for him, because he needed to be in top form sooner rather than later.

I have to say, I was surprised to see that the "turning into will" thing was still an issue. I figured they decided to ditch that when he ditched the gauntlet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post

I have to say, I was surprised to see that the "turning into will" thing was still an issue. I figured they decided to ditch that when he ditched the gauntlet.
        it's probably due to the fact that he used that same will to forge his own ring.

Comment

I thought the implication was that his last fight left him really messed up and she was taking extreme measures to heal him QUICKLY, at the expense of great pain for him, because he needed to be in top form sooner rather than later.

Okay, got you. I didn't pick up on him being that badly hurt during the fight. The huge stitching along the sternum made me think she took out or put something in him and I thought I missed what that was.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            Okay, got you. I didn't pick up on him being that badly hurt during the fight. The huge stitching along the sternum made me think she took out or put something in him and I thought I missed what that was.
            Well, actually, I didn't recall him being that badly hurt when reading the actual fight. I'm just going by what Soranik said in this issue. Of course, she could be lying for some reason, I suppose.

Comment

My impression is that Soranik is genuine about performing surgery to save Hal. It just makes me wish that during the battle they had made sure to show Hal as being gravely injured rather than just unconscious. It might've helped with the drama and not make us doubt Soranik. (unless of course it turns out she's lying)

I think they kinda overplayed Soranik's reaction to Hal's trick, but it seems clear that Hal will have to go "Full Willpower" to beat Sinestro. It'll be interesting if they don't do this, since that's where they're leading us. I'd prefer that Hal beat Sinestro with a bit more finesse or use of his creativity or fast thinking, rather than just pouring on more willpower, but we'll see..... I'm definitely on board!

Comment

Very entertaining issue. I was kind of bewildered by Hal's surgery incision, but I guess I can let that go as artistic license. Not really on board with the Hal turning into pure willpower thing; I don't like it when they do godhood plotlines with any of the human GLs, Hal included. When did it stop being enough to just be a member of the intergalactic police force with the most powerful weapon in the universe at your disposal? They have done this with Alan, Hal, Guy, Kyle and John all one to three or four ties each. Yawn!

Other than that, very nice story with great art. I really can't ask for more at the moment in this title.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                  Very entertaining issue. I was kind of bewildered by Hal's surgery incision, but I guess I can let that go as artistic license. Not really on board with the Hal turning into pure willpower thing; I don't like it when they do godhood plotlines with any of the human GLs, Hal included. When did it stop being enough to just be a member of the intergalactic police force with the most powerful weapon in the universe at your disposal? They have done this with Alan, Hal, Guy, Kyle and John all one to three or four ties each. Yawn!
                  Wait, when did they do it with Guy?

Comment

Wait, when did they do it with Guy?
                    When Guy was Warrior. He was virtually indestructible. When he first got his powers he regrew the eye he lost in battle with Hallax[when he battled Hal just after becoming Parallax Hal punched Guy in the back of the head and one of his eyes fell out because of it]then when a resurrected Kilowog [as Dark Lantern] ripped his arm off he regrew another one.

Comment

That sounds more like a "Wolverine" plotline than a "godhood" plotline. Guy was pretty indestructible, but he didn't have anything like godlike powers (in fact he seemed LESS powerful than when he was a GL to me). And then he ended up dying as Warrior, anyway.

Comment

That sounds more like a "Wolverine" plotline than a "godhood" plotline. Guy was pretty indestructible, but he didn't have anything like godlike powers (in fact he seemed LESS powerful than when he was a GL to me). And then he ended up dying as Warrior, anyway.
                        Technically he didn't die. His body was rebuilding him and he got trapped in Hell. In return in Action Comics was meant to spring board a new Guy Gardner mini series but it never happened.

Comment

Fair enough; guy wasn't at godhood level, but he WAS pretty damn powerful. I suppose my gripe is combining the worn out godhood arc with simply moving away from the basic GL concept with the human characters. Both irk me.

Comment

To me it has never been necessary. It goes back to my childhood, when discussing my super hero is better than yours game kids always play. I maintain a moderately experienced Hal with modest time to prepare could beat Clark straight up, at worst 45% of the time. So basically if you can go toe to toe with Superman, what do you gain via a power boost unless you are taking on the JLA, Darkseid, or the Anti-monitor single handedly?

Comment

Yo.

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
                              Technically he didn't die. His body was rebuilding him and he got trapped in Hell. In return in Action Comics was meant to spring board a new Guy Gardner mini series but it never happened.
                              it mustve taken a long time to do so then, becuz he was felled on the field of battle against Imperiex iirc AND there were witnesses (gotta admit that I was pretty annoyed when I couldn't remember it being touched upon in GL afterward, but instead in AC -arc.) :/

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                              Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Working...
                              X