View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 03:23 AM   #7835
Space Cop
The Dandy

[Rifftrax:] Fast & Furious (2009)

"Go to hell, physics!"

The Bye Bye Man (2017)

"No, Kim! There's a train, a real train!"

So bad (though I was warned by two Youtube reviewers I follow).

Story of GI Joe (1945)

"What's that, a secret weapon?
-Grappa; Italian moonshine---you get a purple heart with every third drink."

Average WWII flick based on the writings of war correspondent Ernie Pyle, here played by a youngish Burgess Meredith. An even young Robert Mitchum plays the CO of the unit Pyle keeps meeting up with in Europe and who get dug in on am Italian siege. I looked for it and finally decided to watch it after finding out (from that Netflix show) that the title was the inspiration for Don Levin for the original 1960s Hasbro toy getting that name (though the term was common in WWII).

Dead Poets Society (1989)

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race."

The movie that convinced the world Robin Williams could do drama (though it wasn't his first) and one that makes me wish I knew a group of guys in High School who would want to hang around in a cave and read Tennyson and Thoreau. Turned 30 today and I remember seeing it in theater and really liking it despite being 9 at the time. I was a strange child.

The Muppet Movie (1979)

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat - a Studebaker."

And this one turned 40 on 5/31.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
The Lion in Winter (1968)...Game of Thrones wishes it caught my attention like this does. The trivia section of its IMDB makes it clear it's only mildly historically accurate (the norm for a film, at best), but I don't care. . . I doubt I'll buy this, but it does make me want to read some serious material on the history of the English crown. . .
It's a great actors' movie. It also reminds me that just being a king of England wasn't always glamorous. I'd buy it (it's in my Amazon Wish List), but not at full price. But then again, I'd guess that I'm less discerning in my "what's worth buying" movie category than you or pretty much anyone on this board.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-12-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote