Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Kyle Hook Up With Carol?!? He does.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
    Wasn't there a issue where Hal and Kyle swithced places, Carol came up to Kyle/Hal sporting her usual attitude,and Kyle just smiled and walked off with a Go fuck yourself vibe. And Carol was left standing there like what the fuck just happened. I think it was the zero issue. That was one of Kyle's cooler moments. Hal may have put up with that shit, but Kyle wasn'tgoing to.

Could Kyle Hook Up With Carol?!?
    Could? Yes.
    Will? Never.

Comment

As much as the inner fanboy in me screams obscenities at the idea, having Kyle putting it to the love of Hal's life actually could make for some interesting stories. Why NOT give Hal a reason to hate Kyle? Especially if he has to put it aside for work? There's a lot that could be done with the idea, and it would for Johns to write stories about PEOPLE for once and not EVENTS.

I just have this image of Dutch and Vic Mackey from The Shield. That was some hilarious shit.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
        If editorial cared about character development we would have had some by now. If it takes something with shock value to get people into a story, then by all means shock them.

Personally, ANY character driven stories would shock me under the current editorial iron fist. Seems like the secret ID of Clark Kent in Superman is the only secret ID anybody cares enough to write about. Such a big deal was made about Hal joining the Air Force again and Geoff researching at Edwards Air Force Base... for what? A few panels with Hal's new old friend Shane and a chick called Cowgirl [I don't even know her real name, I didn't start getting GL till RotRLs]?

~KL~
        I don't think editorial is out to get Kyle Rayner. I think it is just hard for them to find a team that cares about Kyle Rayner as much as his fans do.I fear for the poor guy who has to write him next. Because what can you do?
        Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

I don't think editorial is out to get Kyle Rayner. I think it is just hard for them to find a team that cares about Kyle Rayner as much as his fans do.I fear for the poor guy who has to write him next. Because what can you do?
          You can't do a whole lot with a character whose hook was that he was the only one, and was getting on the job training. Even putting aside DC's decree that nobody could have a ring in the DCU but him, once Kyle became competent with the ring, the luster wore off. I'll give DC credit for riding that one until the wheels fell off though; they had something that worked and they stayed with it as long as they got mileage out of it.

Still, as a character, he's different from the other 4 (counting Alan), and for that I think he needs his own corner of the GLU. All of them should. I think New Guardians is a dog of an idea and will only be a short term thing, but after that the editors should think about making Kyle be best he can be in whatever GL book he ends up in next.

Comment

I'm not just talking Kyle, Hal and the rest haven't had much time outside of being GL's either. TPTB could do a lot more story-wise, but they're more worried about events and the next big gimmick.

~KL~

Comment

I'm not just talking Kyle, Hal and the rest haven't had much time outside of being GL's either. TPTB could do a lot more story-wise, but they're more worried about events and the next big gimmick.

~KL~
              I couldn't agree more.

Comment

The problem with putting Hal on Earth is people will start bitching that as a space cop he spends alot of time on Earth. Again there is no pleasing some fans. I agree about event comics though. I am just as over that as I am, Kyle girlfriend dramas.
                Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

If editorial cared about character development we would have had some by now. If it takes something with shock value to get people into a story, then by all means shock them.
                  You lament the loss of character driven stories yet you advocate a position that even you admit would be done for the shock value? That just seems odd to me.

Besides I'm not sure a Kyle/Carol relationship would 'cause people to get into the story, I think you run the risk of losing a decent segment of your readership if you pursued it (me included) and since New Guardians will probably be the behind GL and GLC in terms of relevance I'm not sure editorial would take that risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                    I think New Guardians is a dog of an idea and will only be a short term thing, but after that the editors should think about making Kyle be best he can be in whatever GL book he ends up in next.
                    The problem with New Guardians is that it doesn't add up. You've got the pre-Johns fans that wants to read about Kyle, and you've got the Johns fans that want to read about the emotional spectrum. I'd say that the intersection is almost non-existant.

Comment

I don't even know her real name, I didn't start getting GL till RotRLs

~KL~
                      Didn't get into THIS volume of GL? Or didn't get into Green Lantern at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                        The problem with New Guardians is that it doesn't add up. You've got the pre-Johns fans that wants to read about Kyle, and you've got the Johns fans that want to read about the emotional spectrum. I'd say that the intersection is almost non-existant.
                        Perfectly put. I never got why Johns put a character he doesn't really like into a series that is all to do with his brain child.
                        Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Bolerathon View Post
                          Perfectly put. I never got why Johns put a character he doesn't really like into a series that is all to do with his brain child.
                          'Cause he doesn't know what to do with either of them.

Comment

Originally posted by hypotherion View Post
                            'Cause he doesn't know what to do with either of them.
                            He doesn't know what to do with anything.
                            Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Vaegrin View Post
                              Right. Superhero stories and space operas aren't supposed to deal with the personal lives of their characters. I forgot.
                              For the sake of grounding the stories in emotion? The relationships are pretty key, especially as they generate stories - Abin and Sinestro, Sinestro and Hal, Hal and Carol (a la Star Sapphire), etc.

But Gossip Girl-styled hook-ups and soap opera plots as suggested in this thread, in place of that? I'd place that pretty low on the list of ingredients.
                              Sandor_Clegane
                              Sinestro's Sparring Partner
                              Last edited by Sandor_Clegane; 07-18-2011, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                                That's a false dichtomy. Both of those options can exist concurrently.

In fact I'm a pre-Johns fan that wants to read sci fi/space opera GL stories featuring the GLC (notably Hal, Kilowog, John, etc.). Said stories can involve both Kyle and the emotional spectrum, or neither.

Provided said stories are good, according to my (wholly subjective) opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X