View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
As for your question about Kyle specifically, it all depends on how many comic fans who were kids in the mid 90s that became GL fans because of Kyle will still be around reading comics in 20 years. Some characters have been engrained into comic culture through multiple generations. Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Peter Parker...all characters who have 50 to 80 years behind them and multiple generations of fans. Kyle doesn't have that luxury. His time was 10 years, which is pretty impressive as his character kept the title afloat by himself that entire time. But it just seems smaller and smaller in the grand scheme of things as more time goes by. It's now been 13 years since that 10 year reign ended. Because of that I think ultimately it depends on how many fans stick around for 20 years who specifically came in at that crucial time of circa 1995.
Kyle had a good solo run, and has went on to appear in more comics than even John and Guy who've got more of that luxurious time and experience behind them you mention. And for a 23 year old, going on 24 year old character, I think he's had a damn good run thus far. When his character turns 25 in 2020 DC should make a big deal about it somehow through some form of comics/merch. I'd streamline his story a tad in a mini series, say he's been a GL since he was 21 in the context of the comics timeline, and actually have him turning 25 in the context of a comic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I personally don't think Kyle will be considered relavant in 20 years, but not so much because of dwindling Kyle fans as dwindling comic book fans as a whole.
Comics just need to refocus on some thing to connect with the right audience.