Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lol...

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• I was excited that, after a year off, Star Trek novels were going to start releasing again this month. Then I discovered that they apparently took the opportunity offered by their break in publication to jack the prices on all the new books this year significantly.

I was used to the paperbacks being around $8. They appear to have doubled that now. Not sure I can justify keeping up with them if they are going to charge twice as much per novel, especially since they are still paperbacks...

Comment

• ^Really? That does stink. They must be oversize paperbacks to justify those prices (like the captain biographies?). I've built up most of my ST library from library sales and second-hand bookshops. You might want to go that route except that, of course, you can't guarantee completion and you have to wait quite a while.

I've become comfortable with getting only what I've found or appealed to me enough (like Romulan and Vulcan stuff) to seek out. But I have much fewer than you, not much over a hundred books right now.

Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 03-07-2019, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• I decided to go the "bargain table" route on the hardcovers...right when they stopped showing up on the bargain tables and secondhand stores. I still, years later, do not own all those books. They are the only real holes in my collections (other than Discovery books which I'm not touching).

But at least I could READ them all, since the library got all the hardcover books. They don't buy paperbacks, so I won't even be able to read these ones if I don't buy them. Sigh.

Comment

• This is pretty old (by net standards), but pretty fun:

+ YouTube Video
            ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• Just watched it now. That was pretty good!

Comment

• No disrespect to DeForest Kelley, but I think Malachi Throne would have been better in the role of McCoy than Kelley was. Throne had a powerful and distinctive voice that would have given him a commanding presence. He didn't want to be the "third guy" on a show, but that role was perfect for him.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...k-thief-429009

Comment

• ^I don't know. It's always hard to say (unless that person cast is awful) 50+ years after the casting when the role is iconic. Personally, McCoy is my favorite character of all Trek, so I doubt I could agree (nothing against Throne). And it's not like he was purposely the third part. It's just that Spock became one of those surprise hits.

Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 04-03-2019, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• He probably could have been good in the role, but I can't imagine being deprived of Kelly's performance on the show and in the movies. I wouldn't trade him in if I had the chance.

It does remind me of Star Wars though; that Kurt Russell auditioned for the role of Han Solo. He's the one guy I think could have been great as Han...IF we never had seen Ford in the role and didn't know what we were missing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                      ...It does remind me of Star Wars though; that Kurt Russell auditioned for the role of Han Solo. He's the one guy I think could have been great as Han...IF we never had seen Ford in the role and didn't know what we were missing.
                      Good comparison. Some of these mega-successes like ST and SW are lightning in a bottle. Who knows how much they could be tampered with and still be as iconic as they are.

Comment

• For fans of Kelley, I'm posting a video of his guest appearance in Gunsmoke. William Shatner appeared once on the show, as did James Doohan and Grace Lee Whitney, and Leonard Nimoy appeared four times.

It's in the Videos forum.

Comment

• I recently watched an episode of Cannon from 1974 in which Grace Lee Whitney guest starred, and was shocked by how much she had physically deteriorated in the eight years since she appeared in Star Trek. I didn't even recognize her, and had to go back through it to figure out which part she had played. I froze the video on the actress who I thought might be her, and I wasn't sure until I compared the image to some photos of her.

Comment

• ^Yeah, she appears twice in the movies and I know her spots, but she changed so much in those years that most non-fans wouldn't know.

Comment

• She was 44 in the episode of Cannon. Her hair was completely gray and pulled straight back. She easily looked ten years older than that. It's dubbed into German, but anyway you can spot her at 8:01.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYZn4uqigX4

Comment

• By the way, it's First Contact Day again. 43 years to go!

Comment

Working...
                                X