• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apologies for derailing this thread.
    "Don't disturb my circles."

Comment

Originally posted by ion.nai View Post
      I however think that Geoff Johns is a crap writer. This is not to say that he has not churned out some decent work, I just feel that in general he is a bad writer.
      Geoff Johns is probably more responsible for bringing in new fans to the DC Universe than anyone else at the company over the past several years. I think his writing is fantastic; he expands on DC lore without being anchored by it. Retconning the nature of Parallax didn't expunge what Hal did during that time, nor during his time as the host of The Spectre. If anything, it requires him to be the bigger hero in spite of what other Corpsmen thought of him.

For everyone like Parryllax and yourself that are turned off by his developments to GL, there are probably 3-5 new readers like me for which Rebirth ignited new interest in the mythos.

Comment

nuce sumup guys...

and for the record, i stand with Pary on this issue, only i have only dropped GL and am still reading GLC

M

Comment

Originally posted by DougG_ATL View Post
          Geoff Johns is probably more responsible for bringing in new fans to the DC Universe than anyone else at the company over the past several years. I think his writing is fantastic; he expands on DC lore without being anchored by it. Retconning the nature of Parallax didn't expunge what Hal did during that time, nor during his time as the host of The Spectre. If anything, it requires him to be the bigger hero in spite of what other Corpsmen thought of him.

For everyone like Parryllax and yourself that are turned off by his developments to GL, there are probably 3-5 new readers like me for which Rebirth ignited new interest in the mythos.
          New readers do not equate to the writer's skill.

Comment

Originally posted by DougG_ATL View Post
            This is awesome, I love seeing more and more folks read GL. But... There are other ways to attract new readers. Johns has taken away aspects of Hal that a lot of old readers enjoyed. What bugs me above all else is that Johns has no respect for past events. He is literally like Parallax in Zero Hour trying to go back and fix the time line as he sees fit. Hal Jordan is already an extremely strong character. What is wrong with writing a story that doesn't some how erase, ignore, or retcon past events? This is what makes Johns crappy to me. I find it disrespectful to the character.
            His Hal is like New Coke. an ok replacement that attracts attention, but anyone who liked the original would rather have the taste that they loved.
            "Don't disturb my circles."

Comment

I've read all the GL Prelude issues, none of the GLC ones. Is that an issue? Because I pretty knew everything in the sum up posts..

Comment

Originally posted by joeylavoie View Post
                I've read all the GL Prelude issues, none of the GLC ones. Is that an issue? Because I pretty knew everything in the sum up posts..
                Its not an issue if you keep up with GLC without reading it. You'll probably be able to understand Blackest Night by reading it and the GL title but for a more vast story, you'll probably want to pick up GLC and Tales of the Corps before any of the other tie-ins.

Comment

I think I'll start buying GLC when Blackest Night begins...I probably won't pick any GLC stuff up before that tho....WAAAY too much to read already

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                    New readers do not equate to the writer's skill.

Im with Doug on this one. Im strictly a Marvel reader that has jumped on board GL since Sinestro Corps War. I don't read individual issues but collect the HCs. I don't read anything else but have loved what johns is doing on GL.

I can respect how people feel about their favorite characters mythos and history being respected.

New readers don't equate to a writer's skill? On a technical level, you are probably right. Im not here to argue whether Geoff Johns is a bad, good or great writer. I haven't followed his whole body of work to make a great argument on this.

But a good writer attracts readers and that I can say GJohns has done.

JStew

Comment

Originally posted by joeylavoie View Post
                      I think I'll start buying GLC when Blackest Night begins...I probably won't pick any GLC stuff up before that tho....WAAAY too much to read already
                      It would really help if you did read them because its going to be kinda hard to keep up and it will give you a better view of the event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BF62pYelLU

Comment

The first Johns story I think I ever read was Day of Judgement... and that was brilliant. It was the story that brought Hal Jordan in as the new Spectre and thus lead into Spectre v4, which featured Hal Jordan, adn that was a mostly strong series, imo... though it was pretty much completely retconned by Johns right out of the gate with GLv4. Fucking A. Johns pisses me off.

/sigh ... in through the nose... out through the mouth...
                        Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

which ones? 29 to 36? (in reply to the GLC issues)

and the first story you read by him...it was really strong and he made like it never happened when he began Volume 4? That would drive me mad too...like if one day Fox Mulder started wearing hawaiian shirts

Comment

Why in the world would you pick up Blackest Night if you're not reading GL and are not Johns fan?, honestly it's like your setting yourself up for a huge disapointment and throwing money away.

I mean i'm going to be dead ass broke because of Blackest Night yet i'll be very happy because of it since i'm a long time GL fan that loves volume 4 and what Geoff has done. If you don't fall into that category or a new fan looking to get into GL and the DCU with Blackest Night you should skip it or wait for the trade it will save you and us all months of grief.
                            "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Comment

Originally posted by Raker616 View Post
                              Why in the world would you pick up Blackest Night if you're not reading GL and are not Johns fan?, honestly it's like your setting yourself up for a huge disapointment and throwing money away.

I mean i'm going to be dead ass broke because of Blackest Night yet i'll be very happy because of it since i'm a long time GL fan that loves volume 4 and what Geoff has done. If you don't fall into that category or a new fan looking to get into GL and the DCU with Blackest Night you should skip it or wait for the trade it will save you and us all months of grief.
                              Or at least go back and buy the issues in trade so you at least get the scope of Blackest Night and not just brief descriptions of what has happened since stopped reading GL.

Agree with Rakar though, dont get why your going to be picking up BN if you dont even read GL or GLC as you would totally of missed the build up to BN and probably be a bit lost and thinking when did that thing happen??

Or to save everyone telling you what has happened and reading post after post Id just either buy the trades (as I said above) or go read wikipedia

Comment

How would it save you months of grief? Its not like I'll be bitching about every issue as they come out, more than likely I'll read them all at once and then post my thoughts after its all said and done... but yeah... besides, I can turn around and sell the issues on eBay since I'll be getting all 1st prints, sor a good amount in a full lot after tis all said and done. Hell, I made just shy of a $20 profit on eBay off of the Sinestro Corps War because I had all 1st prints of the issues.
                                Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X