Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eh. Dalton as Caulder? I don't really see it.

Comment

• If they are adapting more Morrison ideas than just Jane and Mister Nobody, it will be interesting to see if Caulder will betray the team. That I could see Dalton play.

Comment

• ‘Swamp Thing’: Crystal Reed To Star As Abby Arcane In DC Universe Series
        ‘Swamp Thing’: Maria Sten To Co-Star As Liz Tremayne In DC Universe Series

‘The Nun’ Screenwriter Gary Dauberman Talks ‘Conjuring’ Spin-offs, ‘It: Chapter 2’ and DC Universe’s ‘Swamp Thing’ [Interview]
        There’ve been a few attempts at Swamp Thing as movies. What can you do with the TV series and the resources available in 2018 to really do it right?

This is one, when you talked earlier about the rating for The Nun, we always set out to make Swamp Thing as hard R as we could and go graphic with the violence, with the adult themes and make it as scary as possible. Because we’re doing it through the DC streaming service, they really pushed us, although they didn’t have to push hard, for us to go as extreme as we could. We really took our inspiration from the Alan Moore run in Swamp Thing, this landmark I think run. Fans of that series will know it gets pretty weird and extreme and scary. We really wanted to live up to that standard that Moore set up back in the ‘80s. Then of course it allows us, Swamp Thing himself looks incredible what Justin Raleigh and the guys over at Fractured are doing with the suit. So it’s going to look amazing and less of the “man in suit” that you’ve seen in the movie and the other TV show.

But it is still a suit?

There is a physical costume, yes.

Is it the origin story of Swamp Thing?

Yeah, it’s the origin story of the Swamp Thing and it’s Alec Holland wrestling with who he’s become. A lot of it’s told through the point of view of Abby Arcane.

We’ll see Titans first but is there an idea that these shows can share a universe?

I think the opportunity is there if we want to but it’s not mandated. I think we could if, in the future, it organically works itself out to be that way. I haven’t discussed that with the guys from Titans and they haven’t discussed it with us.

Is there an opportunity to update Swamp Thing for any modern day environmental concerns?

That stuff is hard not to address when you’re doing a show like this. Certainly, it’s not Captain Planet but there is an underlying eco message there. We don’t want to become too preachy with that stuff but it’s more of dealing with people who are living out in the swamps and what they do to the environment, how it affects things and causes things to react. It’s hard not to draw some parallel there to what’s happening today.

Comment

• THR: Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up
          The DC cinematic universe appears to be losing its Man of Steel.

Henry Cavill, who has played Superman in three films, is parting ways with Warner Bros., sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Though neither side is confirming, the British actor, who first donned the blue suit for 2013's Man of Steel, and then starred in 2016's Batman v. Superman and last year's Justice League, is said to be hanging up the red cape.

Warners had been trying to enlist Cavill, who most recently co-starred in Mission: Impossible — Fallout, for a Superman cameo in Shazam!, which stars Zachary Levi and will bow April 5. But contract talks between Cavill's WME reps and Warners broke down, and the door is now closing on other potential Superman appearances.

That's because the studio has shifted its focus to a Supergirl movie, which will be an origin story featuring a teen superheroine. This effectively removes an actor of Cavill's age from the storyline's equation given that Superman, aka Kal-El, would be an infant, according to DC lore.

Furthermore, Warners isn't likely to make a solo Superman film for at least several years, according to another source. "Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors," says a studio source. As such, Cavill will join Ben Affleck, who isn't expected to reprise his role for director Matt Reeves' forthcoming Batman stand-alone film, as a hero on the way out.

A Warners source says the Shazam! deal fell apart because of scheduling conflicts. And that is backed up by the fact that Cavill recently signed on to star in the Netflix series The Witcher. However, another source says that the Witcher commitment came after the Warners impasse, suggesting a change in Warners' strategy.

"There's a recognition that some parts of the previous movies didn't work," says the studio insider. Another source says Warners is trying to hit a "reset" button with the DC universe, steering its ship slowly into another direction.

While Affleck and Cavill are segueing out, others who were seen together onscreen in Justice League are carrying forward. Gal Gadot is returning for Wonder Woman 1984, to hit theaters in November 2019. Jason Momoa headlines a solo Aquaman movie this December. And Ezra Miller remains on board to star in a Flash movie, which is due to shoot in early 2019.

Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara and chairman of Warner Bros. Pictures Group Toby Emmerich are looking to reinvigorate the studio's DC Universe, which is still playing second fiddle to the Marvel Universe in terms of box office and critical acclaim. Just six years ago, when The Dark Knight Rises closed out the Christopher Nolan trilogy, DC was the superhero team with the mojo. But so far, only Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman spinoff has lived up to the promise of the franchise.

What Warners hasn't done is wiped the slate clean in one fell swoop, something that is nigh impossible to do given the years of planning that goes into these films. When asked about the studio Sept. 6 at an investor conference, new WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey said, "Hats off to Kevin and Toby and their team." But he also took a shot at DC. "Some of our franchises, in particular at DC, we all think we can do better."

Comment

• What are they talking about with the Supergirl thing?

"That's because the studio has shifted its focus to a Supergirl movie, which will be an origin story featuring a teen superheroine. This effectively removes an actor of Cavill's age from the storyline's equation given that Superman, aka Kal-El, would be an infant, according to DC lore."

Huh? Since when has Supergirl being a teen superhero meant Superman was an infant? (A teen on Krypton maybe, but not a superhero.) I can't think of a single instance where Supergirl didn't coexist with an adult Superman, in comics, movies, or TV shows. Maybe there is one somewhere that I'm forgetting, but it would have to be an exception rather than enough of a rule that anybody would think it would FORCE Kal-El to be an infant in the story...

Comment

• So Cavill's manager tweeted out this:

And Cavill posted this video.

So as usual when it comes to the DC movies we don't have a clear idea of what's going on.

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
              What are they talking about with the Supergirl thing?

"That's because the studio has shifted its focus to a Supergirl movie, which will be an origin story featuring a teen superheroine. This effectively removes an actor of Cavill's age from the storyline's equation given that Superman, aka Kal-El, would be an infant, according to DC lore."

Huh? Since when has Supergirl being a teen superhero meant Superman was an infant? (A teen on Krypton maybe, but not a superhero.) I can't think of a single instance where Supergirl didn't coexist with an adult Superman, in comics, movies, or TV shows. Maybe there is one somewhere that I'm forgetting, but it would have to be an exception rather than enough of a rule that anybody would think it would FORCE Kal-El to be an infant in the story...
              Yea, that didn't make any sense. I understand the reasoning behind WB potentially wanting to recenter around a Supergirl movie given that WW is their only success so far and I also understand why Cavill wouldn't want to recommit to Superman given that WB doesn't seem interested in giving him another solo movie...but I do hope this ends up just being a negotiating tactic or something. Partly because I think shelving their most iconic character would be unwise and also because I do like Cavill as Superman (and Adams as Lois) and I'd like to see what he could do when given better material to work with.

Comment

• It would be a shame if we never got to see Cavill in a legit GOOD Superman movie. The guy has been great but hasn't one good movie to show for it. So sad.

Comment

• Warner Bros. Creates Global Brands and Experiences Division, Will Encompass DC
                  Warner Bros. has created Warner Bros Global Brands and Experiences, an umbrella division that will encompass DC, Warner Bros Consumer Products, Themed Entertainment and a new global franchise team.

Pam Lifford, who ran the consumer products arm, has been named president of the new division, Warner Bros. announced Thursday.

According to the studio, Lifford is charged with developing “all-new fan-engagement business opportunities as well as working to align the current fan-focused activities of WBCP, Themed Entertainment and DC that lend themselves to next-level development. She’ll also work with all divisions of the studio to ensure that every touchpoint for cross-divisional and cross-company collaboration is maximized. Additionally, she will coordinate with WarnerMedia sister companies HBO and Turner as well as various AT&T divisions when appropriate.”

Warners says Global Brands and Experiences will operate with a “never go dark” approach, offering consumers compelling opportunities 24/7, everywhere they interact with Warner IP.

DC’s day-to-day operations will remain relatively unchanged. DC will continue to be run by publisher and chief creative publisher Jim Lee, and publisher Dan DiDio, who both now will report to Lifford.

“With competition for consumers’ attention more intense than ever, and brand awareness and loyalty more important than ever, this is a great way to help focus on creating opportunities for fans to meaningfully interact with our brands and franchises at a level beyond the screen,” said Warners chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara in a statement. “Pam has deep experience across consumer products and building emotional connections with fans, and in the two years she’s been at Warner Bros., has proven herself and her vision. I’m excited to have her bring that vision to this new business.”

Comment

• Cavill has not been the problem. The problem has been the scripts.

Comment

• I don't know just what that means for the comics, but I don't think we'll see another comics writer gain so much power that he has his fingers in all the movies, television shows and comics. Not unless he becomes the CEO.

Was this restructuring a reaction against Geoff's gaining so much authority? Maybe, but you can't blame Geoff for that. You have to blame the people who thought he could do no wrong and kept promoting him.
                      Trey Strain
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-13-2018, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Now there are 'rumors' suggesting WB is looking at going a COMPLETELY different direction with casting someone like Michael B. Jordan as Superman?!

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/...uperman-2018-9

https://people.com/movies/actors-who...chael-b-jordan

Ωmega Man
                        Guardian of the Universe
                        Last edited by Ωmega Man; 09-14-2018, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• If hollywood wants to show they have serious SJW balls, they should cast an asian tranny as Superman. Invest like 200 million dollars in it. That would show they are serious.

Comment

• Whoever ends up playing Superman won't be able to get three movies under their belt before they relaunch again, so they might as well go crazy. Jordan has the charisma, he could do the physicality. I'm just not sure Metropolis police would immediately trust a black superhuman being, much less the one in Kansas. But if they hurry past that story and don't spend another two-and-a-half movies on making him fallible before he can become the Superman that we all wanted to see from minute one, it could work.

Just make him likable again, that's all I'm asking for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                              Now there are 'rumors' suggesting WB is looking at going a COMPLETELY different direction with casting someone like Michael B. Jordan as Superman?!

first look at Robotman in Doom Patrol:

Comment

• When Johns got reassigned, it was announced that Jim Lee would become the new chief creative officer, as well as continuing as the co-publisher with Dan DiDio. But now it looks as if the position of CCO has been eliminated. If so, that was a good move. Nobody this side of Walt Disney should oversee the content of movies, television and comics for an entertainment company.

Also, it was announced in March that Diane Nelson was taking some time off, but in June, that was amended to say she would not return. She was instrumental in giving Johns the wide-ranging authority he had, so once again, it seems this restructuring is at least in part a moving away from the model under which Johns amassed so much influence over the products' content.

Comment

Working...
                                X