X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drone (2017)

"He dropped bombs on Hitler. Yet he died barely able to hold a crayon."

A Pakistani man who loses his family to a drone attack manages to track down the independent contractor (Sean Bean) used by the CIA to do it. Not great, but not bad.

Valkyrie (2008)

"My duty as an officer is no longer to save my country, but to save human lives."
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 08-28-2019, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• Miracle at St. Anna (2009)

(Fucking IMDB doesn't have this moving quote the various characters all recite together about being God's children)

In 1983, a New York postal worker suddenly murders a man. Matters only become vastly more complicated when an Italian sculpture's missing head is found in his apartment. A reporter investigating the matter slowly realizes the truth as the accused killer remembers everything that happened to his Buffalo Soldiers unit in World War II Italy.

Goddamn this was moving. Spike Lee really knocked it into the feels, showing some serious and varied drama ranging from "military intelligence" to racism to Nazi war crimes. Omar Benson Miller's interaction with the Boy (Matteo Sciabordi) are hilarious and sincere, and damn if I didn't start to really love Miller's character (heart of gold).

If there's one character I feel sorry for, it would be Hans Brundt (Jan Pohl), a German deserter. Dude tried to help children escape a massacre and got royally screwed over because of how utterly heartless some people choose to be. Also feel sorry for all the townspeople who get their lives ruined by the war.

Oh, and Colonel Driscoll (D.B. Sweeney) is a massive douchebag.

Long film (2h40m) but very much worth it. Got this one for free from another member of my LCS a little while back, and it was either this off the shelf or forcing my dad to watch Lucio Fulci's The House by the Cemetery (1981) which, after watching the trailer and knowing my dad loathes horror flicks, made this an easy pick.

Very highly recommend.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Straw Dogs (2011)

"Get your daddy's gun and shoot anyone that's not me."

A little better than I was expecting (I watched out of morbid curiosity and because it's expiring on Instant Netflix), but definitely not worth remaking a Peckinpah film and I wouldn't recommend it.

Deliverance (1972)

"He got a real pretty mouth ain't he?"
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 08-27-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Saw "Good Boys." Funny as fuck.

Comment

• Jurassic World (2015)

"And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth."

Jurassic Park III (2001)

"This is T-Rex pee? How'd you get it?
            -You don't wanna know."
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 08-27-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019)

Comment

• Gothika (2003)

"You can't trust someone who thinks you're crazy."

Not as bad as I was expecting from what I remember hearing, but not great. Ghost story/is-she-crazy murder mystery.

Split (2017)

"Are you trying to trick me? Et cetera?"
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 08-27-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Maggie (2015)

1,000th post.

Comment

• Survivor (2015)

"You shouldn't have asked about that thing in Dubai."

Alright thriller. Jovovich is a security expert at the US embassy in London who survives an attack, but is framed for it (a kind of movie that always bothers me) and has to solve the mystery while dodging the American and British authorities and Brosnan as a hitman.

Us (2019)

"Ophelia, call the police.
                    -OK. Playing 'F**k tha Police' by N.W.A."

Another hit out of the horror ballpark from Peele.

Originally posted by robojac View Post
                    Maggie (2015)
                    Good flick. I like some of these unusual flicks for Scharzenegger. Aftermath (which is just a drama) was another.

Originally posted by robojac View Post
                    1,000th post.
                    Congrats.
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 08-22-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• + YouTube Video
                      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Saw the latest Seth Rogen movie, "Long Shot," with him and Charlize Theron. Not as raucous as stuff like "This is the End," "The Interview," and so on (all of which I've dug).

Yeah... kind of romantically "cute" but not a good movie. By the end Rogen goes full-on political and wish-fulfillment. Basically, it's a "what if" Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez became a front-runner for president (complete with touting a full "Green New Deal" under a different name), has to contend with a very Trump-like current president, then becomes president herself. Also has a scene where his best friend "comes out" to him that he's a republican and super Christian, and it's treated like a "That's evil, but I guess I'll still be friends with you anyway."

Looks like it bombed. 40 million dollar production and only made 30 domestically... not good!

Comment

• 2019: After the Fall of New York (1983)

"You don't smell so bad, which is unusual around here."

Turned on to this Italian rip-off* movie from a Dark Corners review, but I found it more fun than them.

*Mostly of Escape from New York, but with a little Road Warrior and Planet of the Apes too. They even throw in a Butch and Sundance gag (which I'm surprised none of the three reviews I mentioned).

[Rifftrax:] Invasion of the Animal People (1959/1962/2018)

"Where were you when we needed you, editing?"

This movie is so boring that the riffs barely make it worth the watch (which is unfortunate since I now own the digital file). Still, some good jokes here.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 08-23-2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Suburbicon (2017)

Comment

• Navajo Joe (1966)

"An Indian sheriff?!"

An alright spaghetti western with really good music (which is probably why Tarantino took a couple themes for Kill Bill). A pre-fame Reynolds plays the titular character who has a vendetta against a band of cut-throat robbers, who happen to be planning a big heist while he's on their trail.

La Bamba (1987)

"Rock 'n' Roll in Spanish? You gotta be crazy."
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 08-26-2019, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• The House With A Clock In Its Walls (2018)

Comment

• The Unknown (1927)

"Hands! Men's hands! How I hate them!"

Chaney plays a thief who hides out in a circus by pretending to have no arms, but then has to consider making it real. Pretty good one,

Lon Chaney: A Thousand Faces (2000)

"Chaney frightened people; there was no question about it. He was a genius."

Comment

Working...
                                X