No Killing/Lethal Force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Killing/Lethal Force

It was never a set law back in Vol 3 was it? It was up to the discretion of the Lantern.

I've recently read a few issues, mainly the Star Sapphire/Recruiting arc, and Hal says after they breach Flickers ship "secure the passengers, we don't want any deaths. Except maybe you, Flicker."

That's only one example, but I really don't think there was a "Lethal Force" rule prior to Geoff's run.
    sigpic
    Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Read GLC Quarterly. The ring outright stops Jack Chance from killing and when he uses it to kill indirectly he's transported right to OA.

Also, in Vol 2, the trial of Sinestro. The Lanterns have to really will the ring to kill. It's mentioned that the rings don't kill.

HOWEVER, earlier in V2, it's said that they shouldn't kill "unnessasarily" and Hal uses the ring later on to kill a space creature that's out of control.

Comment

The "shouldn't" kill rule did not appear until the 70's. Before then it was apparently never mentioned. Now the ring shutting off when lethal force is attempted did not start until vol 3. It was rarely brought up in the main GL book, but was mentioned a few times in corps quarterly and once in mosaic.

I imagine before that the writers never considered a hero ever killing anyone so it was never addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Limelantern View Post
        The "shouldn't" kill rule did not appear until the 70's. Before then it was apparently never mentioned. Now the ring shutting off when lethal force is attempted did not start until vol 3. It was rarely brought up in the main GL book, but was mentioned a few times in corps quarterly and once in mosaic.

I imagine before that the writers never considered a hero ever killing anyone so it was never addressed.
        Or the comics code reared it's ugly head to make sure our heroes didn't warp the minds of children :P

Comment

That could be true.

I just asked this because so often I hear "The Hope Corps will be what the Green Lantern Corps used to be." I'm thinking to myself "No, the Green Lantern Corps have never been a Hope based Corps with Hopeful ideals, they've always been the Police of the Universe."

So that's where this stemmed from. Thanks for the tip on GLCQ tho, I still need those.
          sigpic

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

It's just a very popular assumption based off the fact that the GLC is changing and that Ganthet is a Guardian.

Already there's differences, though. For one, Ganthet is the most "human" Guardian that isn't six feet under (the others are cold and distant). Secondly, the planet of his choice is lush and full of life while OA has always been barren due to the Guardian's deglect.

Comment

If I remember corfreectly, one of the funadmental laws of the Corps was to protect/respect all life, which while never expressly saying 'don't kill' it could bde taken to mean 'don't kill anything sentient' since in Recharge the GLs take down Spider Guild younglings

Originally posted by Plastroncafe
              Freedom of Speech does not mean Freedom From Being Called Out For Spouting Bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
                It's just a very popular assumption based off the fact that the GLC is changing and that Ganthet is a Guardian.

Already there's differences, though. For one, Ganthet is the most "human" Guardian that isn't six feet under (the others are cold and distant). Secondly, the planet of his choice is lush and full of life while OA has always been barren due to the Guardian's deglect.
                Oa hasn't always been barren by any stretch of the imagination. And how do you know what planet the Blues are on? Did I miss something?
                sigpic

Comment

In GL #25 when the 7 corps are introduced, Ganthet and Sayd create the blue ring in a planet filled with wildlife, but there is no mention of what planet it is

Comment

Oh right...I sort of took that as a refuge for the two, but you could be right.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_GL View Post
                      Oa hasn't always been barren by any stretch of the imagination. And how do you know what planet the Blues are on? Did I miss something?
                      Well, technically right. OA was created full of life ... but due to the Guardian's neglect it became barren (causing the Zamarons to leave). At least according to Secret Origins (the series not the story arc).

Maybe I should have been clear about what I meant tho: in the stories it has always been presented as barren. At least in all the stories I've seen.

Comment

I think it's fluctuated. I know I've seen clips where it looks like a spralling metropolis, and other times when its essentially flat and barren.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think it's fluctuated. I know I've seen clips where it looks like a spralling metropolis, and other times when its essentially flat and barren.
                          I don't think the ENTIRE planet's a city, though. I mean, there's only ever been a handful of Guardians and 7,200 GLs wouldn't fill an entire planet all by themselves (and they are hardly ever there all at once). I've only ever seen cities and barren landscapes on OA ... and now it doesn't even have a sun ...

Comment

But don't forget Mosiac, when various cities from different planets were transported to Oa.
                            sigpic

Comment

But don't forget Mosiac, when various cities from different planets were transported to Oa.
                              That might be missing the point.
                              Gauntlet101010
                              Alpha-Lantern
                              Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 10-18-2008, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X