Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hal's first influence by Parallax (GL Vol. 2 #224)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

omg i cant believe i missed this thread!! this is good stuff!! makes sense!!!

Comment

The Guardians just need to stop placing very evil individuals into their very source of power over and over again. It seems a little strange to want to do that. You would think that with all their power and technology they could just construct a prison specially made to contain Parallax and Sinestro.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
        Interesting. I've never seen or read Willworld... will get now.
        It is by far the ODDEST GL comic I have ever read (possibly the oddest comic of any kind I've read, though my comic reading does tend to stay closer to the mainstream, so that could explain that). I liked the art, though, and in the end it made sense... sort of.

Comment

Originally posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
          While I still maintin it was Sinestro who awoke Parallax, it was the Gurdians who put Sin into the CPB in the first place. Moreover, they told Hal to go in there and fix their mess. So, the Gurdians are the biggest idiots of all time.
          In Rebirth, though, the Guardians tell us they made themselves forget about Parallax as soon as they imprisoned him.

Comment

In Rebirth, though, the Guardians tell us they made themselves forget about Parallax as soon as they imprisoned him.

Uh, I don't remember that. I remember Ganthet asserting that PARALLAX made him forget, so that he couldn't warn Kyle, to which Parallax replied that Ganthet HADN'T forgotten anything. I always got the feeling that there was some kind of plot thread being set up by that exchange, where we learn that the fall of the GLC at the hands of Parallax WAS part of some esoteric Guardian plan, something like the Corps needing to be renewed from basically the ground up every few millenia to keep it from getting stagnant and falling apart slowly...

Comment

They still both both of them in the CPB. Even if Parralax made them forget, it was Sinestro who did all the real damamge and he couldn't have done it if the Gurdians didn't mistake their power source as an inescapable prison.

Not only that, but they set it up so that the CPB would explode, taking the entire universe with it, should any of them or their agents kill a Krugerian. Which is even worse than just destroying the Corps over the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                Uh, I don't remember that. I remember Ganthet asserting that PARALLAX made him forget,
                Re-read, my friend. I'm pretty sure there's a passage where Ganthet mentions the Guardians all made themselves forget, so the knowledge of Parallax couldn't be used against them... or something. It's there.

Comment

Re-read, my friend. I'm pretty sure there's a passage where Ganthet mentions the Guardians all made themselves forget, so the knowledge of Parallax couldn't be used against them... or something. It's there.

Well now I will HAVE to reread, as I am pretty sure you are wrong, and I have to know whether I should be smug or embarassed (though as a current Parallax host, I will, of course, never admit it if I find I am wrong. )

Comment

Here's what you are thinking of:

When Kyle is recounting the whole Parallax story to Green Arrow, he says at one point, "Over the millennia Parallax became known simply as the Yellow Impurity. His legend was purposely forgotten so that no one would ever try to free it."

On the face of it this might seem like the Guardians themselves forgot, but I propose that it really means that they made sure the "legend was forgotten" without purposely forgetting themselves.

Why, you ask? Because six pages later, Green Arrow starts to ask why the Guardians didn't know what was going on if they put Parallax in the battery.

Either Ollie isn't paying attention, or that implies that he has no reason to believe that THEY forgot.

And Kyle's response backs this up. He doesn't say, "Duh, Ollie, they had made themselves forget, like I just told you." He says, "They were destroyed before they even knew what happened. And Ganthet... when I went to Oa to confront him about this, he thought Parallax purged him of his memories when he was freed."

In the next issue, Ganthet repeats this assertion, "The memories you stole from me are mine again."

So while I would agree that perhaps some lines weren't worded too well, it seems clear to me that the facts are supposed to be that the other Guardians were destroyed before they knew Parallax was involved, and Ganthet had his memories wiped by Parallax.

Comment

Yo.

So while I would agree that perhaps some lines weren't worded too well, it seems clear to me that the facts are supposed to be that the other Guardians were destroyed before they knew Parallax was involved, and Ganthet had his memories wiped by Parallax.
                      so, basically a further retcon is that the Oans DIDNT commit suicide, but were just killed in the middle of making that new Ring.....right??

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                        Yo.

so, basically a further retcon is that the Oans DIDNT commit suicide, but were just killed in the middle of making that new Ring.....right??

Tazer
                        Well, THAT was retconned LONG ago, maybe not explicitly but everybody and their brother has been saying that Hal/Parallax killed all the Guardians since shortly after ET, no matter how much I tried to correct them.

Comment

Well it's hard to get that kinda stuff out of peoples heads once it's had time to fester in their memory like a sore. best way is to pull the old issue out and show them that way you shock them into reality

Post 700 BTW

Darth_Andrea

Comment

Yo.

Well, THAT was retconned LONG ago, maybe not explicitly but everybody and their brother has been saying that Hal/Parallax killed all the Guardians since shortly after ET, no matter how much I tried to correct them.
                            Im an obstinate person; Im not buying it until I see something/*anything* supporting it.

having 'llax kill them off as they were, and yet somehow Ganthet didnt pick up on it, just doesnt seem right.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                            Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
                              Wow, so all this Parallax entity stuff really works more than some of us would like it too. Good on Geoff for connecting all of this and slightly adding to certain elements without deviating to far from what was there to start with.
                              Sometime after Rebirth #3 came out, I brought up this story on Geoff's MB because I saw the connection then, and I've stressed its precedence ever since. At the time I asked if this was an inspiration for the new Parallax origin, but I don't think anyone confirmed yes or no. It's entirely possible Geoff came up with it on his own, and the similarity to GL 224 is just that.

Either way, in the old stories the yellow weakness never meant much, beyond making Sinestro Hal's "opposite number". But Geoff gave it resonance, and tied it (and Hal's downfall) to his most logical and popular GL villain. It's really a rather fitting development, like it was there all the time, waiting for someone to figure it out and connect the dots.

Much like Englehart's retcon of the Zamarons being the Guardians' female counterparts. Just brilliant, it fit, like it was intended all along.

Originally posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
                              I really, really need to start reading the old stuff. Unfortunately in all my years of reading GL. I've yet to read anything before Vol 3.
                              I read GL as a kid (early 1980s), and there are a few good stories from the era. But a lot of mediocrity too, and some bad soap opera. But the Power War arc (Denny O'Neil's last arc) is what Sinestro Corps War reminds me of. And I imagine the Tales of the GLC /Krona War will somehow play into Blackest Night. They're coming out with that in trade, and it's just about the best GL story ever told:

The stuff that came after (late 1980s) is very hit and miss, especially once GL became a team book. Yuck.

When I got back into comics in the late 1990s, I finally caved picked up the first couple of GL Archives. Before I had always found Silver Age stories too...simple. But I was surprised by the first 15-20 issues of GL - they are actually pretty good. The characterization in those stories beats everything I grew up with from the 1980s, let me tell ya.

The tone is more innocent and kid-friendly, but the way the mythos (and Hal's world) evolves over the course of those first stories reads like a TV show with a season-long arc. It's still the best GL origin, and it provides all the evidence as to why GL became such a big deal, pretty much right away.

I'd get the Tales of the GLC book, and if you dig it go back to the beginning, with the Archives, Showcases, or the upcoming Green Lantern Chronicles:

Comment

Originally posted by DavidLG1971 View Post
                                Andrew Don't look At the pic...WHITE BOOTS!!!!!

Darth_Andrea

Comment

Working...
                                X