No announcement yet.

Final thoughts on Brightest Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It had some fine moments, mostly with Aquaman, Mera, and Firestorm. It did go on too long, though. At times, the story seemed to drag.

Comment

Originally posted by Raker616 View Post
      Can't pass a final judgement until the last issue comes out but i'm loving it, it's been the one weekly that i've actually been able to follow from start to finish and enjoy it. Alot will depend on the resolutions etc. from BD #24 but i'm sure the haters will continue to hate even though most of them aren't even reading the book.
      This coming from the guy that would love a Geoff Johns comic if it was nothing but 22 pages of Geoff Johns taking a dump.

Comment

Originally posted by myuserid View Post
        This coming from the guy that would love a Geoff Johns comic if it was nothing but 22 pages of Geoff Johns taking a dump.
        Brownest Morning

Comment

I'll vote on it after the 24th issue. For my final opinion on it but I've been loving it so far =)
          No Sir, I punched the viceroy in the stomach, then I headbutted him in the face. Sir.-Hal Jordan

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
            Brownest Morning

Comment

I don't like giving final votes on things until it's done.

But it's eh. Couldn't care for any title that comes out of this, and instead of picking Aquaman up when it comes out, will wait to see if Johns writes it better or stays in his current pace.

Comment

well. i flippen love it. i love the story line and all. its wicked awesome. swamp thing: Awesome. Firestorm: Awesome. Deadmanretty cool. Aquaman:queer. didnt really have much to say about other reserecteries. lol.

Comment

It´s so boring that I haven´t even bothered with pirating it, let alone buying it.

Comment

I'll pass judgement after it is over but so far I don't think it's been bad but I don't think it's been great either.

Comment

It's okay. I've only read a few issues but some of the things that go on in the comic seem kinda redundant and random.

Comment

I went so-so on the rating. Nothing really has happened when I think about it....except a few "deaths." But I really only read it for Firestorm stuff anyway. Everything else was alright, and of course this Elemental stuff is cool because it goes back to old school Firestorm stuff. If we don't see another Firestorm series come out of this, I will be HIGHLY disappointed.

Comment

I might pick up the trade, but I dunno know if its even worth it considering I dropped it around #9
                          HUNDRED'S OF COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE! http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=17568

Comment

Final thoughts on Brightest Day?

I'm somewhere in the middle leaning toward, "Didn't like it" but certainly nowhere near "hated it."

First of all I think the biggest problem with the series is the expectations of folks -- particularly GL fans -- going into Brightest Day. I mean, did anyone ever, ever in their wildest dreams think to themselves, "The 'Brightest Day' part of the Green Lantern oath... it's totally talking about Swamp Thing and Constantine coming back to the DC Universe one day!"? Of course not. That's silly. Now while it seems equally silly to fault a series based on our own predetermined expectations and not on the standalone merits of the story, I think structurally Brightest Day leaves a lot to be desired -- kind of like how "Green Lantern: Secret Origin" was far less "Let's tell the best Green Lantern origin story we can!" and much, much more about "OK, I have a checklist of things I don't like in Green Lantern history and one by one I want to fix them... and oh yeah, maybe we can tie it into the latest DC event too while we're at it", Brightest Day was far less about "Let's tell the best 3-act story we can in 24 issues" and far more about killing several birds with one stone as far as relaunching/rebranding superheroes that the current company directive wants to push. What puzzled me was how DC seemed to use Brightest Day in the same manner as Countdown which was, as described during Countdown, "The Spine of the DC Universe" -- that struck me as an experiment gone awry, so why try it again?

For me personally, it didn't accomplish any of its mandated goals. I was reasonably stoked about Aquaman before Brightest Day, but now I find myself actually far less stoked about it, but that has more to do with general dislike/fear with Geoff's current ways of storytelling and less to do with what happened to the character in BD. I didn't care for the Hawks before Brightest Day, I cared for them even less than that when Kendra was killed just to make room for a former Hawkgirl that would be agreeable to doing Hawkman, but after Brightest Day my interest in them is pretty close to nil now. I want to say I'm more invested in Martian Manhunter after following him in BD -- because I DO like his arc in it -- but it's just not enough to kindle what wasn't already there (and that's no real fault of Tomasi or Gleason). Deadman's arc is fairly interesting, but not enough to make me want to rush out and buy his books -- same with Firestorm.

To be fair, though, BD is probably near the top of the crop of the weekly/biweekly series so far. Well below something like 52, but I'd put it a notch above Countdown, probably even Trinity. That's something, isn't it?

I mean, I don't feel like I wasted my money on Brightest Day. It's a good looking book with -- in many places -- some fairly good writing and -- in far more places -- some pretty damn good art.

Comment

One word: FAIL

Comment

It was amazing, better than any of you Kyle wankers deserve. It just surprises me more and more everyday how many of you forget how long and how many years in advance Geoff Johns has been planning all of this. I remained happily along for the ride and I was really blown away by the final issue. It really brought it all home for me.

Trust Geoff, he delivers every time.

Comment

Working...
                                X